What's new

Pocket knives

I just ordered an Arthur Wright & Sons clip point as I'd be too afraid of damaging a Trevor Ablett. Single bolster, rosewood scales and a carbon steel blade. Looking forward to it arriving! I found a shop locally that's selling Case XX knives but the price tag is a bit too high on them. Great looking knives though

The Arthur Wright's are nice knives but you should get yourself an Ablett before he packs it in. He builds them like the proverbial brick s**thouse! They are solid users.

Gareth

My first thought was if the kids doing the stabbings thought that the law-abiding kids might have knives there might be less stabbings.

I utterly cringe at the thought of owning a knife that doesn't lock. Actually, I do own one, and yes, it bothers me. I hate to throw a knife in the garbage though. I keep that one in a safe place where it doesn't get used much.

I usually have 3 knives on me. A SwissTool, a jackknife, and a utility knife. The utility knife I have does not fold, and I really like that about it. The blade retracts, just like a full size one, only this particular one is smaller than most of the folding ones. And there's no danger of it folding open at the wrong time. I've had knives do that. A little pocket lint stuck in a knife can lead to a very painful experience when thrusting one's hand in one's pocket to retrieve said knife.

I feel helpless if I don't have a knife. And, no, I don't carry them for self defence. I don't have a knife that's particularly suited for that, and wouldn't be proficient in defending myself with one anyway. I carry them just because I always seem to need them.

I am partial to Victorinox, Buck, and Schraeder. I've never had a problem with a carbon steel blade.

I only own 5 knives. I've bought dozens over the years. I lose them, they break, and they get confiscated. (I tend to forget I have them in my pockets when going through security checkpoints. I lost my favorite knife of all time at Lambeau Field...) Oh and also, they fall open in my pocket, slice my hand up, and then I throw them someplace where they won't do that again. (No I don't mean I send them sailing through the air. They end up in toolboxes and the like.)

I've become addicted to sharpening with tungsten carbide sharpeners. I discovered them about 5 years ago, and haven't sharpened a knife with a stone since. I can sharpen a knife much better with a stone, but in the time it takes to do a really good job sharpening, I can sharpen 11 blades with the carbide.

I've never made my own knife blade, but I have made my own cold chisels, from O-1. It's actually very fun to do, especially if you use a charcoal grill as a forge. I can certainly see though where a knife would be harder to make. Cold chisels don't have to be thin.

As for a multi-tool, I had a good opportunity to compare Gerber, Leatherman, and Victorinox (and a Chinese Leatherman knock-off). I mostly found the Victorinox SwissTool more suited to the things I do, and I like the way you don't have to open the pliers to take out a screwdriver. It appears though that since I bought it, all three companies have expanded their product lines and make very similar products. The only sad thing about the SwissTool has been that I don't get the pleasure of going and buying another one. I just haven't needed to replace it yet. I really abuse it. I've seen guys break their Leathermans doing far less abusive things with them than I do to my SwissTool. I don't know if there's really a difference or if it's coincidence.

I used an old old X-acto knife (I think I've owned it for 30 years or so) as a reamer tonight. I was opening and elongating a hole in a PC board from 1947. I don't know if it's phenolic, bakelite, or just some really nasty plastic. In any case, I was amazed how well it worked.

Your knife laws in the UK are a bit crazy!! The lock is a safely device... I wonder how big a problem it actually is with kids stabbing other kids? It also leads me to wonder why they don't take care of the problem...

Tom

We have similar laws in Denmark. If it is longer than 7 cm (roughly 3 inches) and you are able to lock the blade, you get a week in jail, unless you have legitimate reasons to carry it (hunting, work related etc). They are pretty strict, with examples of handymen being sent to jail for having a utility knife in their car. The new centre-left government has promised to change the law, so next year you only get a 1000 USD fine.

Legislative ramblings aside, my next pocket knife will be an Opinel 6 or 7 with a carbon steel blade. It is a good knife, and the steel gets a nice black shade over time, which I think looks good.

I love Case knives for all occasions. My very favorite daily carry knife is this little Red Bone Butterbean. In my retirement, this is the way I go most days.

proxy.php

As I posted to another thread, I've had the same Case Stockman for 44 years. Carbon steel, thanks.

It's been in my front pocket for two wars, to the top of 100+ 4000m mountains, sliced Swiss cheese in Bern, cleaned an Alpaca in Peru, and tied to a stick to make a fish spear off the coast of Carins.

The only time it leaves my pocket is when I'm flying.

Case and Victorinox are my 2 favorites. Most often a Case, either a trapper, mini-trapper, or a mini-copperlock. I prefer carbon - easy to spark the blade in an emergency.

I have Bucks, Sogs, and Benchmades, but I prefer the classic lines of the Case knives. Reminds me of my grandfather's knives.

My new knife finally arrived! Non locking, but it's got a very strong backspring, just needs sharpening properly

Attachments

• $knife.jpg
    $knife.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 215
I have a Kershaw Blur that I have had for 6 years (4 of those where when I used to run a boy scout camp so I put a beating on the thing). I absolutely love it, and when I am not at school it is in my pocket. Light, Alunminum and Stainless so it is weather proof, and I love the auto open.

I also have a Case XX that I carry when I have to dress up and a larger knife is not appropriate.

When I hunt I carry a Puma White Hunter with a stag handle. The best skinning knife ever.

Nope, no Corvette but rather a last year of production Buick Roadmaster. Does have the LT1 350 V8 in it.

Pickup is a one-owner 1992 Dodge D150 with something over 400,000 original miles on it. Each successive 100,000 miles has proven to be more trouble-free than the previous and it had no big issues for the first 100,000 miles.

Nope, no Corvette but rather a last year of production Buick Roadmaster. Does have the LT1 350 V8 in it.

Pickup is a one-owner 1992 Dodge D150 with something over 400,000 original miles on it. Each successive 100,000 miles has proven to be more trouble-free than the previous and it had no big issues for the first 100,000 miles.

Aaah, I assumed Vette from the security key. But the Roadmaster is a Man's car.

I carry a cheap gander mountain special. Don't have to feel bad if I snap the tip or lose it. Have a couple nice ones that were gifts I carry in similar circstances one would carry their "barbecue gun."

Top Bottom