What's new

Discussion Thread for Robert Williams 10/8 Giraffe Review.....

Man, that is nice. And big. You didn't mention how it shaves, but I'd imagine it to be very nice.

I believe giraffe scales come from the scaly part of the hide.

But, then again, I am in finance, not zoology.

Great review - nice razor (not my taste, but I definitely appreciate the craftsmanship and quality).

On the somewhat related note Joe Chandler (over at SRP) also makes custom razors that are worth considering (assuming he's going to make more) if you're looking for a great-shaving hand-crafted razor at a fair price. While I believe Joe buys blanks and sends them out for hardening, he has his own grind (somewhere between a 1/4 hollow and a full wedge) and does the spinework and makes the scales from whatever you want. The razors he made were stainless, and the ability to get a wedgy razor in stainless really appealed to me.

My Chandler is 8/8+ and while big and heavy, is so well-balanced that I hardly notice that I'm shaving with a cleaver.

Anyhow, not to steal your or RW's thunder, I just thought I'd mention Joe's razors, as there's some similarity between Joe's and RW's approach - they make very nice (but very different - in terms of style and materials) fully custom razors at a price that makes sense.

Great review of a very interesting (and very large) razor.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Those giraffe bone scales are very beautiful. What part of the giraffe do they come from?

The skeleton! :lol: (permission granted to call me a wise@$$)

Wow, what a detailed and comprehensive review, with great pictures! I do like the look of those scales, and am also a fan of the 'hammered spine' look (but NOT the silly hatchwork on the monkeytail.) The comments about size, quality, and 'detail issues' pretty much match up with my impressions of his work already (I once came across a set of abalone-on-titanium scales he did that were pretty much all metal and had lots of rogh edges ... the bone scales look much nicer! I also have an 8/8 Henckels friodur with custom stag scales that RW did, and they are very nice ... I'm shaving with a steak knife!!)

I fully expect that I will get a RW or two in the not-too-distant future!

Fred Flintstone's razor... LOL

I can't afford a RW right now, but if I could, I would. I like his pins, I'm thinking of using those or something similar instead of my usual annealed finishing nails and brass washers.

I have a Williams with stag scales and overall it is a very fine razor. His razors beauty lie in the massiveness and rough hewn look they have not the style, grace and perfection of a Maestro or Zowada razor. As far as shaving goes they are the best and for the price a real bargin.

P

Papa Bull

Many thanks to all for your support. The design options have expanded considerably in the time I've been making straight razors with blades from 6/8 to 10/8 and all sorts of scale material options. Here's one of my favorite, which are scales I recently built to replace cracked Maestro Livi razor scales. This is in Premium Kudu tip.

attachment.php

attachment.php

And, of course, there are many options available for finish work from fine hammer work on the tangs, filework on the razor spines and standard now is my inlaid brass maker's mark as shown below. This is an example of natural giraffe in a 3-pin design 13/16 hollow grind.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thanks again to all for your support. There are new things in the pipeline that I think everyone will enjoy. :)

Robert Williams
http://custom.straightedgerazors.com

Many thanks to all for your support. The design options have expanded considerably in the time I've been making straight razors with blades from 6/8 to 10/8 and all sorts of scale material options. Here's one of my favorite, which are scales I recently built to replace cracked Maestro Livi razor scales. This is in Premium Kudu tip.

attachment.php

attachment.php

And, of course, there are many options available for finish work from fine hammer work on the tangs, filework on the razor spines and standard now is my inlaid brass maker's mark as shown below. This is an example of natural giraffe in a 3-pin design 13/16 hollow grind.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thanks again to all for your support. There are new things in the pipeline that I think everyone will enjoy. :)

Robert Williams
http://custom.straightedgerazors.com

Robert,
Looks like the finishing/detail work is getting much better. Uh-oh, I might need a 4th RW :biggrin:

I've got a couple of ideas - but they might be terribly difficult to do :eek:

when I first saw RW razors on SRP back when I first started with straight razors, for the life of me I couldn't figure out why everyone was drooling over them. Now I see that the character, charm and appeal is in that rough, crude look. Though his work is growing on me with every unveiling, I'm still not the die hard fan that most are. That said, an RW is in the future plans

I have two of Roberts razors and am very impressed with them, I have found the finish to be of an excellent standard and not at all "crude". A wonderful save, very well made and Robert is helpful and easy to deal with. If I were to buy another razor it would be another RW :)

Terry

P

Papa Bull

I've got a couple of ideas - but they might be terribly difficult to do :eek:

Nothing ventured; nothing gained, Joel. :) The one below was pretty challenging. :)

proxy.php

But pretty is as pretty does, my first priority is always is to make a blade that is the finest shaver in the world. Cosmetics and aesthetics can be whatever someone wants to commission.

I have one RW razor, received about six weeks ago. Mine is smaller, about 6/8, 1/4 hollow grind. Robert says he strives to make the best possible shaver in the world, with a beauty to match. I'd say he's done pretty good with mine!
I don't have as extensive straight razors collection as many of you. Only some Pumas, including Puma-Gold, Henckels, Sta-sharp, Shumate, Wacker, Boker, W&B. My Williams outshaves all of them. Steel, blade geometry, honing, heft and balance, RW's magic? Probably all of the above. Within six weeks, I have only strayed twice; Puma-Gold and Puma 5/8 Pour Barbe Tres Dure. No competiton, at least not among my RW and my Pumas. In fact, being so happy with Williams and being more of a user than a collector, I might put most of my other razors on the chopping block.
I have heard often how time consuming is to hone one of Robert's razors. Mine came shave ready.
There were some issues with the razor; jimps on the underside of the tang were a little rough (I filed it down) and on one side, spine and edge were not in the same plane; when spine was touching the hone, edge was not, less than 1 mm off. As I expected, Robert stood behind his product and took care of it in no time.
Robert's craft and efforts in creating hand made in America razors are most commendable. But more importantly, he makes outstanding shavers at a very reasonable price point (relatively speaking, of course). I will commission more of his work when finances permit.

I've admired Robert's work for quite some time. The razor in my avatar was purchased from Robert. He did not forge the blade, but he unknowingly came up with a perfect match for the SMF I brush! I've bought a few razors from Robert (again, not forged by him) and always been happy with the transactions. He is a first class gent!

Randy

BOY HOWDY!
The reviewed giraffe scaled razor and the scales on the Maestro sure are BEEUUtiful! The fact that the R razors are fully hand forged make them pretty cool, too. Also adding to their allure is the fact that you guys who actually have one, say they're awesome shavers. Very nice and enticing as well...........Christmas list perhaps.......

Now though i am a beginner I could see me treating myself if straights are the way to go :)

Though my main problem is trying to decide what I wanted.. that in itself could take months...

Top Bottom