What's new

New guy in Phoenix

Hi all,

Been using brush and soap for quite some time, with a Gillette Fusion Power razor. Thinking of stepping into the world of safety Razors. But not quite sure of the benifits. I have been reading on here for a couple days, and I can see everyone swears by them.

Can anyone here help me with the differences between the Safety Razor and the Fusion?

I appreciate any help.

Craig

Hi all,

Been using brush and soap for quite some time, with a Gillette Fusion Power razor. Thinking of stepping into the world of safety Razors. But not quite sure of the benifits. I have been reading on here for a couple days, and I can see everyone swears by them.

Can anyone here help me with the differences between the Safety Razor and the Fusion?

I appreciate any help.

Craig

Welcome to B&B, Craig! I stopped at the Mach 3 stage due to irritation and ingrown hairs. In addition, blades are much cheaper than the replacement cartridges from Gillette.

The best explanation I've heard is this:

With a multiblade, you get two, three, or four passes in one stroke, but only ONE of them gets the lubrication of the cream. The second, third, and fourth blades pass over bare skin, which is why you get irritation.

The best shave I ever got, pre-DE, was with a Bic Metal shaver (which I can no longer find in stores). It had a single blade led by a metal bar. Of course, when I looked at the DE razor, it's the EXACT same setup. Single blade, led by metal bar.

It's much more time consuming, but well worth it. When I was telling my mother about it, she asked how it was different. My short answer was "It doesn't hurt anymore."

All of that said.... and this may be blasphemy here... if you are happy with the shaves you get from the fusion, stick with it. Don't fix what ain't broke.

I do get bumps now and again. May be worth the try. I have been looking at the Merkurs on classicshaving.com Any suggestions?

hey im also in phoenix! well, Tempe to be exact. I'd recommend getting a merkur 38c, sampler blade back from letterk (member on this board), Crabtree & Evelyn brush and a basic cream like Arko. This should last you a few months of experimenting and trying this whole thing out. Trust me- I started this during college and it's definitely worth it!

Hi Craig, welcome!

Differences
Blade price: Fusion cartridge ~$3, safety razor blade ~$0.25
Comfort: multi-blade cartridges are more likely to cause ingrown hairs or other irritation, compared to a safety razor blade
Speed: here the Fusion and its ilk probably have the edge, as the pivot can compensate for technique and stroke.

Think of it like the difference between driving a highway cruiser with an automatic transmission (Fusion) or driving a fun little sports car with a manual transmission (safety razor). They'll both get you to your destination, just in different ways. :wink:

--Mark

Welcome Richard!
Yes, by all means, online is much cheaper for a razor than any of the brick and mortar stores.
Better yet, head down to a local antique shop and you just might be surprised by finding a vintage Gillette (Even cheaper)!!! Zerohnine picked up a mint looking Fatboy for $5!!:w00t: :w00t:
Also, pick up some Kiss My Face Shave Cream at a Whole Foods store or local organics grocery. Very Very good stuff and cheap too!!

"The best shave I ever got, pre-DE, was with a Bic Metal shaver (which I can no longer find in stores)."

Hey Jayk1998,

As for the Bic Metals, I emailed Bic (http://www.bicworld.com/inter_us/index.asp) asking where to find Bic Metal razors locally and they told me at select Wahlgreens and Drugstore.com. They also said they would send me some complimentary packs for FREE. I received 2 packs of 5 last week.
Just wanted to try'em out and ya can't beat FREE!!:biggrin:

Thanks for all the help fellas. I ordered a 38C yesterday. Looking forward to seeing the difference.

And thanks for the welcome also!

Craig

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Craig...congrats on ordering your Merkur 38C...it is quite a shave tool. Be very careful with your shave prep prior to putting it to your face...research some of the very excellent threads concerning shave prep....use a fresh blade (of course) and practically NO pressure letting the weight of the razor's head do all the work. Watch Mantics videos on youtube if you haven't....and have fun!

Thanks for all your help. I thought I went the extra mile in my shaving until I started reading this forum. Holy cow, just an enourmous amout of info. And I see my cigar/beer money dwindling thanks to you guys :)

Thanks for all your help. I thought I went the extra mile in my shaving until I started reading this forum. Holy cow, just an enourmous amout of info. And I see my cigar/beer money dwindling thanks to you guys :)

No No No this should not impact on your cigar/beer money, I think you can do with out the new furniture, drapes and that stuff long before you should do without cigars, beer, or shaving supplies.

Top Bottom