What's new

Mouth... On fire...

I've got a plant with a load of ripe naga jolokia on it and I need some recommendations on what to do with them! I'm taking a break from the nuclear vindaloo I made to post this, it's some pretty serious heat. Has anyone else cooked with them? What did you make?

But see... now that I've started - may I suggest throwing one in Vodka with some crushed black pepper to add to your favorite bloody mary mix. Call it a screaming mary mix

I grew some just to see what they were like. TBH I found them so hot as to be unusable. I tested one by inserting a toothpick into it, then lightly touching the tip of the pick to my tongue. I was burning for at least an hour. I have a friend who is chilli mad. I've seen him sit with a bowl of chillis and munch away on them. I showed him my naga chillis, and went to get a toothpick for him to do a test like I had. When I got back he was busy eating it whole. What ensued was rather hillarious. He turned red, then white then kinda green.... started hiccuping... He suffered for at least an hour. It is the only chilli I have seen defeat him. (think of the simpsons chilli scene)

If you really love nuclear stuff I suppose a tiny tiny bit in your cooking will add pure heat. I prefer to add chillis for a bit of heat but more for a nice chilli flavour. The nagas seem so hot to me I can't taste them at all.

Naga and pepper vodka? That does sound good! I never would've thought of adding regular black pepper to vodka either. They do have a very melon-ey and fruity flavour... Maybe I'll try a naga/melon/mango liquor

I added 1 to enough masala for 500g of meat along with a couple of jalapeños for this vindaloo (all deseeded) and whilst it is very, very hot it is edible; although my definition of hot may be slightly different to the norm :laugh: But there's not a chance in hell of me ever eating one of these raw - I'm not that brave/stupid

I think it depends how you have grown it too... Mine were semi-hydroponic, and I also dry-stressed them pretty hard at times. I find this results in a hotter chilli. I think I read somewhere that homegrown chillis generally won't reach the record breaking scoville scale numbers you read about because growing them in a controlled environment to maximise heat is a bit of a science/artform.

They're on the same kinda heat level as naga that I've bought from a chilli festival; and they sure kick the crap out of scotch bonnets and habañeros, but how close they are to the 1 million scoville mark I don't know

Slice some into 1/2 inch x 1/8inch strips and stuff them into a bottle, toss in some vinegar and let it sit for a week. The mega-marts sell a green version with a different chilli but it is excellent on eggs. The vinegar will be spicy and the peppers add a nice spicier crunch.

Honestly, I think white wine vinegar would be the best option. Regular vinegar would be to sour for my tastes, you could always make two small batches one see which one you prefer. I would even recommend lightly salting & boiling some of the vinegar for a batch to test it out. It's almost like it is pickled but the heat overplays any salt completely.

Edit: Just checked the one in the fridge and it said distilled vinegar, Tabasco peppers, and yellow #5. So I would think that one is not white wine vinegar, but that's not to say yours would not be good with white wine vinegar.

Last edited:
I grew some just to see what they were like. TBH I found them so hot as to be unusable. I tested one by inserting a toothpick into it, then lightly touching the tip of the pick to my tongue. I was burning for at least an hour. I have a friend who is chilli mad. I've seen him sit with a bowl of chillis and munch away on them. I showed him my naga chillis, and went to get a toothpick for him to do a test like I had. When I got back he was busy eating it whole. What ensued was rather hillarious. He turned red, then white then kinda green.... started hiccuping... He suffered for at least an hour. It is the only chilli I have seen defeat him. (think of the simpsons chilli scene)

If you really love nuclear stuff I suppose a tiny tiny bit in your cooking will add pure heat. I prefer to add chillis for a bit of heat but more for a nice chilli flavour. The nagas seem so hot to me I can't taste them at all.

The super hot peppers burn so much that the body releases endorphins (a naturally occurring opiate, also released during orgasm). I don't get my freak on like that, but I suppose it is harmless enough. Different strokes...

The super hot peppers burn so much that the body releases endorphins (a naturally occurring opiate, also released during orgasm). I don't get my freak on like that, but I suppose it is harmless enough. Different strokes...

You definitely build a tolerance, when I was a kid we'd go to curry restaurants and my dad would order a really hot curry - I'd follow suit to prove myself or something along those lines, although I'd look a fool most times :laugh: I think I'll give the vinegar idea a shot, I just need to find a nice bottle for it

Try roasting them. I don't know if it will work for these thermonuclear type peppers, but I have used this technique with long hot peppers, jalapenos, habanero and scotch bonnets, the last two being pretty darn hot. Wash and rinse peppers, dry with paper towel. Place on a sheet of aluminum foil, drizzle some olive oil, wrap up. Roast in oven at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes, shut oven off, let sit with residual heat of oven about another 40 minutes. When you remove them, handle with care, as the peppers will leak some juice, and you don't want that on your hands. The roasting seems to mellow them out somewhat.

I grew some Habaneros this summer that I find to be nearly inedible due to the heat.
I can't imagine the Nag Jolokia type burn!

We use old salad dressing bottles, stuff the bottle full of peppers. The boil your vinegar (I like apple cider) and fill the bottle. Let it sit for however brave you are, I would wait at least a month but the longer the better it gets. Out of the 2 acres we plant every year 3 rows are peppers. Somebody is always finding a pepper that can't burn dad or me out. Worst one was the ghost and we still lived to eat a raw bite. They go good with homebrew on a hot day.

Last edited:
Just drag, dip or stir the the whole naga through a sauce for minimal contact then remove, increase according to taste & tolerance.

I wouldn't chop it up to use it until your tolerance has increased.

Bah. Nag Jolokia, Bag Bolokia.

When you ladies are ready to step up to a REAL man's pepper, let me know. :001_tt2:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinidad_Scorpion_Butch_T_pepper

That's for next year's crop :wink:

I'll have to get some photos up of the vinegar once I've got it all bottled. It might be a good idea to pickle a whole batch actually as I've got more yellow habs and orange scotch bonnets than I'm capable of eating just sat there on the plants (and with it getting a lot colder now I don't know how long the fruits will last). I've also got a bunch of pretty crazy friends that I might make a nuclear chilli for - our previous record was 13 scotch bonnets in a chilli for 4 people and we all ate it, although toilet paper goes in the fridge next time :laugh:

Top Bottom