What's new

Does TSA consider shaving soap a liquid or gel ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does TSA consider a bar of shaving soap a liquid or gel?

I had them once try to take a soap which I stored in a Nivea container. The container was marked 4 oz. It was a vintage Old Spice, so I went back and checked the bag. Now I only carry a 2oz container of Edwin Jagger soap, just in case.

Maybe I need to dry the puck of soap and put it alone in a zip lock?

Some TSA agents will try to take anything if the container says its over 2oz of liquid or gel (or whatever the safe amount for soap/shampoo/toothpaste is these days). Even if the container is empty, save for one or two little snurdles, they will take it if it says is once held x amount of product.

I think the issue was that you tried to smuggle a solid soap in the packaging of a forbidden, dangerous gel. Putting it in just a Ziploc bag could get you through... but if they decide your solid soap is a gel because they can dent it with their thumbnails, then you're SOL because now you have no documentation to verify its 2oz status. Thay'll reasonably assume you're 2oz solid soap is one of those dangerous 2.35oz semi-solid exploding soaps, and will put it in the trash can next to the huge line of people where it can't hurt anyone if it goes off.

I have never had a problem with sticks. But it all depends on the individual at the checkpoint. If you run into that guy who thinks your deodorant stick is a liquid, he probably will think the same of your soap. There will be no appeal, so follow travel rule #1: if you can't afford to lose it, leave it at home.

There is not much reasoning for some of the acts of TSA agents or regulations. For example, toothpaste or shaving cream in a tube is not a prohibited item but if it is more than a trial size it will be confiscated. So when I travel with carry on it's either shaving sticks or trial size creams for me.

Maybe if you cut the bar of soap in half from side to side and scouped out the innards, then replaced the innards with Plastics, then seal the soap back up, and wash with it a few times (give it that used look), it would look harmless to most eyes.
You could blow a lock/hinges? off of the cockpit cabin door with just the contents of your soap lol, taking control of an aircraft.

Maybe if you cut the bar of soap in half from side to side and scouped out the innards, then replaced the innards with Plastics, then seal the soap back up, and wash with it a few times (give it that used look), it would look harmless to most eyes.
You could blow a lock/hinges? off of the cockpit cabin door with just the contents of your soap lol, taking control of an aircraft.

Oh great. Some wacko is going to read this, try it, get caught, TSA regs will tighten again and the rest of us will STILL be stuck with hotel soap to shave with...

Thanks!

I make it as close to idiot-proof as I can.

If I'm not taking a travel size of a known goo, like Foamy, Barbasol or Edge, it will be some other cream in a well-marked travel size tube made for air travel.

And I follow mblakele's rule #1 - if you can't afford to lose it, leave it at home.

Shaving soap or C-4? Do you really want TSA to make the call? From my experience, the reason they work for TSA is because there is a hiring freeze at McDonald's. A few years ago when I traveled to the States there was complete pandemonium at SFO and they threw nearly all of my toiletries in the garbage along with my wife's toiletries, makeup and perfume. In Australia, they occasionally raise the threat level to "WE MAY HAVE TO CANCEL THE BARBY". They don't throw all of your stuff in a garbage bin.

Now when I travel by air in the States the only carry-on I take is my ipad.

If you're going to pack shaving cream/soap in your carry-on then I suggest you take a 75g tube and not a puck.

I've always packed anything shave related in checked baggage, that way there are no problems at all.

Some of the TSA agents are out of control, and you never know what will happen. Its just a big government agency that can't seem to get its act together.

Remember what TSA stands for: THOUSANDS STANDING AROUND.

TSA personnel aren't the brightest in my experience and highly subjective. I carry CO Bigelow when I'm on the road and have never had a problem.

Since I must check my straight razors anyway, I just put the soap in the same bag and eliminate any problems.

+1. I don't travel with a straight, but I just pack a durable travel case with my DE gear and a tube of Proraso, and check it through, padded nicely with clothes. I don't travel with my vintage Gillette, I use the Parker 99R that was my first DE razor.

It's all security theater, and they follow a mental script.
If your bag contents don't exactly match something in their training, they forget their lines and fall back on the cue cards.
And there is only one cue card, and it always reads "YOU CAN'T TAKE THIS ON THE PLANE" (preferably barked angrily).

They're not bright people, otherwise they wouldn't need fake police uniforms and have unlimited protection for their lawbreaking and idiocy.

Bonjour à tous

I guees it will be fine. I travelled once with a brand new, yet opened, Monsavon shave soap in its bowl. They asked me to show them what that was, but, I went throught witout any issue.
Anyway, get shaving sticks, or even make your own, it's by far the best option while travelling. I never check a bag (or just when I come back from my parents' in France because of all the booze and homemade food I bring back :001_tt2:) : I have a nice TSAproff shaving set, and just get DE blades when arriving at home.

Amicalement

Bertrand

I usually pack a Swiss Army Knife in my check-through bag. It's very useful when on holiday (cork screw, nail file, etc.). A couple of years ago my wife accidentally packed it in my carry-on. I made it through security in both Los Angeles and Denver without any problem......and they're worried about shaving soap/cream....c'mon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom