What's new

New and Confused

Good day everyone. I hope all is going well for everyone in their respective neck of the woods.

I have been wet shaving a quite some time now, but have just started getting into the finer part of wet shaving. I started using a brush and shaving soap about 6 months ago, and am enjoying it. I am looking to make the next step, either to a DE or a straight razor. My confusion and hesitation comes in the form of my job. I travel a lot and the stupid TSA does not allow this stuff in carry on luggage, and I refuse to check a bag and have them lose it on me. So I am wondering if it is still worth it even if I only get to use it for 6 months out of the year, and if so which way should I go?

Welcome Aboard.. It's still worth it to DE shave, some folks use a Trac II or Atra system when travelling by air. IMHO one of the best cart systems around when you cannot get a DE shave.

The DE is a big part of it but not ALL of it. Think about it: in your case you can still bring a selection of soaps, aftershaves, a brush or two, talc and more. Consider this: going with a Trac II when traveling gives you the variety and then it is back to DE at home - best of both worlds!

Welcome to B&B!

Only you can decide if it's worth using a DE and/or straight 6 months out of the year, but there's no reason not to, and as others have pointed out, you can use all the other tools and products when you travel.

Thanks for all of the welcomes. I will have to look into one of those track II's that a couple of you have mentioned, as I have never head of it before. I have been using a Mach III for the past few year, and have had no major issues. Well except for the fact of buying new cartridges as they are so expensive. I also hate the fact that they cannot be recycled, which is a big thing in my house.

Don't be afraid to still carry a cart when traveling. I too travel for work extensively (38 domestic flights this year so far!). Since I started wet shaving I carry my nice new dopp bag, my brush wrapped in a hand towel (must get travel brush...add to next order) my EJ seabuck in it's nifty travel container and some el cheapo twin blade disposables. Also I put some proraso pre in some tiny little Tupperware containers along with some of the AS. Call me crazy but I miss it if I don't do the whole pre and post routine.

Funny thing, a 3 pass shave with the carts is far better than I ever remember.

Welcome to B&B mate! I reckon you'll enjoy the 6 months of DE even more if you can't do it all year. Many options for travel too, as suggested. Plus you can ship blades ahead of you to your accommodation or buy some locally if available. Cartridges are an option that shouldn't be shunned in that sort of situation.

Don't be afraid to still carry a cart when traveling. I too travel for work extensively (38 domestic flights this year so far!). Since I started wet shaving I carry my nice new dopp bag, my brush wrapped in a hand towel (must get travel brush...add to next order)

I know it's not really classy, but a great way to protect your brush is a toilet roll or cut down kitchen paper roll. I just covered them with black gaff tape and slide my brush inside when travelling. Waterproof and protects very well. (Credit for this idea goes to Marcus the pink elephant from whom I stole it! Thanks mate!)

I traveled to Chicago recently, my first trip since starting on this obsession, and I packed my DE blades in my checked bags and brought a sample of AS, my Gillette Tech, a tube of Bigelow and my brush in my carryon. It seemed to work well for me. Like the other members said, you can put some shaving soap or cream in a sample container. And welcome aboard!

+heaps for the bog roll idea nicks. A real Macgyver solution and I can't wait to see the LOTH's face when she walks in on me taping up a dunny paper tube...

+heaps for the bog roll idea nicks. A real Macgyver solution and I can't wait to see the LOTH's face when she walks in on me taping up a dunny paper tube...

Just don't get caught taking a pony with all the cacka paper on your boat race, that really could worry the ladies of your household in a disturbing way.

Top Bottom