What's new

Open comb vs safety bar. What do you prefer and why?

I've come to prefer closed comb, especially the EJ DE89. I rarely nick my face with this razor but the open combs usually will draw a little blood.

Both open combs are Muhles, an R101 and R41 with the older style head.

I like open combs because i can shave allot faster with them and they don't seem to bog down as much, plus i like the looks of them more.

proxy.php

Can't say that open comb vs safety bar makes a difference per se. There are mild OCs and aggressive OCs. For me, it boils down to the head geometry and whether the gap, exposure, and curve it puts on the blade is suited to my skin and beard.

The 2010 Muhle open comb that you mentioned is too mild for me (to the point that it is ineffective unless I loosen it 1/4 turn). Maybe you're using pressure to compensate, and that's what's causing the nicks and cuts?

The comb design alone has very little to do with how the razor shaves. That is still the overall design.

If I have to pick I like vintage gillette adjustables due to being able to dial them up as I change passes. Default closed I guess since I don't feel like having to have 3 razors to shave just to use open.

It doesn't matter to me. I like some OCs such as the Micromatics and R.41. However, I have a lot more close combs.

I only have one open-comb. It feels a little rough having the teeth across my face compared to the closed comb. Gives a good shave, though.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Can't say that open comb vs safety bar makes a difference per se. There are mild OCs and aggressive OCs. For me, it boils down to the head geometry and whether the gap, exposure, and curve it puts on the blade is suited to my skin and beard.

The 2010 Muhle open comb that you mentioned is too mild for me (to the point that it is ineffective unless I loosen it 1/4 turn). Maybe you're using pressure to compensate, and that's what's causing the nicks and cuts?

+1

It's not a closed comb but a safety bar. Either type, it's a different model of razor, that's all.

For the last few weeks I used more New short and long combs, Merkur 41 OC, and British Paragon. I like them as much as my closed comb razors. It's just different experience to me. OC razors feel different and require different angles and hold. I use different razors for different passes. I prefer the OC for the first pass and then use closed comb for the rest.

It depends on my mood and blade combination. I can get an awesome shave from an open comb razor. I also get a great shave from a safety bar razor. For me it's a tie!

When I first started I had a preference for open comb then I switched to closed comb and used that for years. However, I've now recently picked up my open comb and I'm loving the shaves I'm getting. I think I'm starting to tip back towards open comb. It gives you a close shave but it's comfortable because lather isn't wiped off your face before the blade touches down.

I have more DE Closed Combs than DE Open Combs ... (in fact, I have more Single Edge Razors than Open Combs DE razors)

Using the same make/brand/model blade, my Merkur 1904 Classic OC gives me a closer shave than lets say my EJ DE89.

I found that I have to have a more precise angle to maintain comfort with the OC than a Closed Bar.

Everyone needs at least one DE Open Comb anyway to say they tried it! They may ... or may not like it! Gotta Try!

sheraton open comb is a very forgiving. Switched to DE shaving about six months ago and still experimenting with several razors/blades. Over the past couple of weeks, I start with sheraton open comb with Personna RP for my first pass and then switch razor finishing my next two passes with either a Merkur slant or R41 (also with Personna blade). I find it lets me shave more quickly as I do not have to be as careful/patient with my first pass. I probably go through more blades as change out the Sheraton about the same time I change out the Slant or R41 but the extra comfort and speed is worth it to me.

When I DE shave, I like the OC when I have a 3 day or more of beard growth, and the safety bar if I have to shave every or every other day.

Being retired though I usually only shave every 3 or 4 days.

Top Bottom