Thread: 1918 Combination Set

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Default 1918 Combination Set

Went to the Portland Antique Show this weekend and picked up a 1918 Combination Set. Unfortunately the razor was nowhere to be found. There was a random 'no date code' razor in its place and it was in pretty bad shape plating-wise.

I am very happy with the travel brush. It's in really good condition. I hope I can replace the hair and use it soon. Does anyone know what the knot diameter is for this particular handle?

The soap stick container is not as good. I think the years of being in close contact with soaps might have contributed to the eating away of the finish.

The case is in good shape too. The bottom finish is worn down a little where the raised edges come in contact with a surface.

I noticed that the felt on the top section of the case was loose so I pulled it out gently and underneath was a tintype picture of someone's girlfriend/wife! It's amazing to think how long that picture was hidden inside this case. I wonder who it was!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0174 (Custom).JPG   IMG_0186 (Custom).JPG   IMG_0189 (Custom).JPG   IMG_0193 (Custom).JPG   IMG_0176 (Custom).JPG  

“The wand (razor) chooses the wizard, Mr. Potter. It's not always clear why.” -Ollivander

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Wow, I can't answer any of your questions, but that is really cool. I think its pretty neat that the picture is there with it. Is it actually a picture of a female though? It looks like a young man to me, with a cigarette in the corner of his mouth. Anyhow, no matter, it's still really neat. Wouldn't you love to know the story behind it?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Images

I wonder whether in 100 years time people will be pulling images of our family and friends off computer hards drives and DVDs?

My daughter takes literally '00s if not '000s of digital pics every week. I wonder if here children and grandchildren will have any to remember her by?
    "I love the smell of rhodium in the morning" - Shavepocalypse Now (with apologies to Francis Ford Coppola)
    For all things OZ: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Category:Australia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

very cool

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by D.Jackson View Post
    Wow, I can't answer any of your questions, but that is really cool. I think its pretty neat that the picture is there with it. Is it actually a picture of a female though? It looks like a young man to me, with a cigarette in the corner of his mouth. Anyhow, no matter, it's still really neat. Wouldn't you love to know the story behind it?
    The 'cigarette' is an optical illusion. It's a dent in the tin. Here's another angle. I also polished up the shaving stick holder. Amazing what a little polish can do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01373 (Custom).JPG   IMG_0201 (Custom).JPG   IMG_0202 (Custom).JPG  
    “The wand (razor) chooses the wizard, Mr. Potter. It's not always clear why.” -Ollivander

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Images

cool picture

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Very cool set!
    Have become a TOBS, Feather blade, Merkur 34c HD, and Proraso splash man!
    ​Founding and Proud Member: [COLOR=#008000][B]K[/B][/COLOR]nights [COLOR=#006400][/COLOR][COLOR=#006400][/COLOR][COLOR=#008000][B]O[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#006400]f[/COLOR] [COLOR=#008000][B]T[/B][/COLOR]he [COLOR=#008000][B]V[/B][/COLOR]eg [COLOR=#008000][B]T[/B][/COLOR]able[COLOR=#006400][/COLOR]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ollivander View Post
    The 'cigarette' is an optical illusion. It's a dent in the tin. Here's another angle. I also polished up the shaving stick holder. Amazing what a little polish can do.
    Ahhh I see now. Yeah definitely a young woman. And wow yeah. Did that ever polish up nicely.