What's new

Kindle Fire?

I have an iPad from Christmas last year and I'm considering selling it and purchasing a Kindle Fire. Anyone have any thoughts on it? Anyone preordered one?

All I will use it for will be surfing, music and some schoolwork.

It does look tempting ... does it run on the Android OS, or is it a proprietary system?

The Amazon page is rather vague about the tech-specs.

It does look tempting ... does it run on the Android OS, or is it a proprietary system?

The Amazon page is rather vague about the tech-specs.

I believe it's an Amazon-skinned Android system, kind of like HTC Sense or MotoBlur in phones.

Have you seen the Nook Color can be found for $139 now? That's a steal for an awesome tablet. I've used Kindle for 2 years but the Fire just puts them in the midst of other makers and the NC is an exceptional tablet and I love the 7 inch factor. The cloud browsing tracking (which apparently has the ability to be turned off) was a bit of a gaff but since Google, Facebook and probably a host of others now find ways to track your every internet move, it may not be that big a deal.

Does the NC have full web capability? Netflix, hulu etc?

I'm not sure about those streaming services in particular, as they'd run in conflict with Amazon's streaming service, but there is a full web browser. The Fire seems to be more a tablet that can do books, rather than a Kindle that can do web.

EDIT: Whoooops. I failed to read NC, rather than Fire. Overeager Beaver loses again.

Last edited:
Web - yes. I have only used for school so can't say for sure but I'm pretty sure they are fully flash and video enabled - Try http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=864.

If you have not rooted before, it's not extremely difficult but there are typically a lot of bugs at start and you have to worry about "bricking" and how to resolve it. Despite all the "guides" out there, some processes go differently and you need to be a bit of a hacker. And the forums are generally surly about if you ask a question without having the equivalent of a PHd on the subject first.

All that said, the NC allows booting by default from its uSD card slot - so it is easy to preserve the stock system while modding to your heart's content.

The Fire seems to be more a tablet that can do books, rather than a Kindle that can do web.

i've never really seen the point of color ebook readers since they lack the e-ink/e-paper technology that is one of the primary benefits of an ebook reader in the first place.

i guess if you want a kind of ipad alternative, then it's a good option.

i've never really seen the point of color ebook readers since they lack the e-ink/e-paper technology that is one of the primary benefits of an ebook reader in the first place.

i guess if you want a kind of ipad alternative, then it's a good option.

That's what makes me want one. I have a regular Kindle that uses e-ink, and I'd like a tablet for email and netsurfing while I watch the tube or smoke my pipe on the patio.

Color does offer the benefit of being able to read graphic novels. I'd love to read Watchmen or Ronin on a digital device.

I'm thinking the fire wins the comparison for me, so far. Although, the 8gig storage sucks....I can add to it though.
I am interested in the 7inch screen on both the fire and the NC.

I dont think its an upgrade from an Ipad...its a cheaper alternative. If you already got the ipad just go with that.

Very interested in this as well. Looking for something to travel with just for emails and web browsing- I'm not an not an e-book reader and phone is too small.

I don't dislike the iPad, I'm just not utilizing it like I thought I would. Plus, I recently left active duty and am a full time student (read broke) and I could sell the iPad, get the fire and have a little extra money in my pocket while still being able to surf, email, movies etc. I had to drop cable as luxury expense so the tablet can fill that void somewhat. Sucks being a student....financially at least. I'm loving the freedom I now have with a much more relaxed schedule.

I've been all over the planet and in the most dangerous places in the world since 1997...I'm ready for a change of pace.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My thoughts- I will never own one. I like the look, feel, and smell of real books. Plus, electronic books can be edited without your knowledge, even after you have paid for them.

My thoughts- I will never own one. I like the look, feel, and smell of real books. Plus, electronic books can be edited without your knowledge, even after you have paid for them.

The other problem with ebooks is they are super hard to borrow from the library. I've seen books that are stacked/reserved 3-5 users behind and been able to walk into the library and pick them up off the shelf.

Top Bottom