What's new

Blind test #1 - Feather vs 7 O'clock Yellow

I predict Black is Feather.

It's interesting how close the blades have been in performance.

The first shave gives the right answer: red is Feather. Update on first shave confirms that. Feather is best/sharpest on the first shave.

Last edited:
The yellow works better for me than the feather. I might also add that I prefer the black 7 o'clock to the yellow. Very nice test, it was fun to follow.

Last edited:
I found it interesting that two of the shaves where it seemed like everything was great for both blades were the two days he used Arko... And the day where everything "fell apart" and ended up with some REALLY rough irritation, was the day that he used a "soap" was was drastically different from the other products he had been using up to that point. (Detergent, rather than soap based.)

I don't have the setup to be able to do a blind test, but I would love to see someone test using mineral oil to extend the life of a blade. I've used this tactic for a while and I swear it extends the number of shaves I get before the blade starts pulling.

I concur with your results, Feather for me are a one good shave and a second OK shave and toss blade (and overpriced by a long shot for that use). Gillette 7 O'clock Sharp Edge (yellow) so far I have had 5 shaves with it, and while the 5th was not as close as the first, it was just as smooth. Tomorrow will be #6 and we shall see how that goes. Shave 1-4 were all super close and smooth. 5 was good considering, a hint more razor burn, but nothing that made me want to toss the blade just yet.

I look forward to your coming blind tests, although I ordered 100 Yellows, and I am now set for 2+ years. I want to try the 7 O'clock Platinum as well (blue) if they are as good, I will get 100 of those to rotate with the Yellow ;)

2-3 Shaves from a Feather seems quite poor considering the cost. I guess in the grand scheme of things it's not too bad compared to cartridge blades or the soaps/creams/razors/brushes some of us buy though!
I'm learning quite a bit from this thread.

thanks for running this test! I've found the feathers to be good for 3 shaves as well and I love them. I still think yellows suck. I tries a yellow again because of this thread. Used it yesterday and they are as dull as I remember. Used it again today and and trying to decide if i want to suffer through it again tomorrow. Just not sharp enough.

Prompted by this thread I used a 7 o'clock yellow yesterday, having only used IP reds and astra sp's before, and proceeded to mutilate my face with 5 average weepers and one serious cut on my chin, on top of a poor shave for a three pass. I'm gonna be a trooper and give it another shave or two, but the 7 o'clock yellows have not impressed me so far, especially considering I can get a DFS with an IP red in one pass and a little buffing. Oh well, to each his own :)

thanks for running this test! I've found the feathers to be good for 3 shaves as well and I love them. I still think yellows suck. I tries a yellow again because of this thread. Used it yesterday and they are as dull as I remember. Used it again today and and trying to decide if i want to suffer through it again tomorrow. Just not sharp enough.

+1. I was never impressed with the Yellow.

Oddly enough, I've had Feathers go 6+ comfy shaves for me. I haven't used a yellow in a while, but I seem to recall binning them at 4.

There are lots of reasons I can imagine someone not liking a Yellow. But "dull" is not one of the reasons. IMHO these blades are right up there with the sharpest blades made today, I won't get into the "Feathers are incomparably sharp" debate, but putting them aside, Yellows seem as sharp as anythning else available these days.

Can you confirm the mention of UAE on your yellow 7 o clock....the ones I get locally are st petersburg versions but also have mention of uae in them in the packaging....I want to be sure that the blades I am using are the same kind americans are using:p and if that is truly the case i'd say the cost of these is so cheap that I could easily replace them at the second shave and in the value for money department they will win hands down...unfortunately they cost too much back in the USA for which I am working on something to make them really cheap there :)

Top Bottom