What's new

Thoughts on Simpsons Brushes?

Not to give TOO much evidence to support Ron's allegation that shavegeeks (one of which I am not, or so I keep telling myself) are Versus obsessed, but:

How do the Simpsons brushes "stack up" against the Saville Rows? I can get a great price on a Simpsons Ch-2 Super tonight, which I really don't want to pass up. BUT, if my money is better spent on a similar Saville Row...

Any thoughts, experiences, preferences appreciated.

Mr Law,

Brushes can be quite subjective. You will find on this board that Simpson's gets a lot of play. For me, though, they are just "OK". It strongly depends on what you like. The Savile Rows are softer and more luxurious. Simpsons are less flexible and have more of a scrubbing sensation, while still having soft tips. For me, I much prefer my SR silvertip, but as usual, YMMV.

Scotto- Thanks for your opin. (I'm Ben, by the way!)

After posting, I did a quick scan for Simpsons here, and it seems that the Guru of all Guru's (Ron) does not currently hold Simpsons in high regard because of variations in quality, I guess? I'm trying to gauge if I should get one, IF I can inspect the goods before handing over my plastic.

Just to muddy things up a bit. :biggrin: I happen to own 3 simpsons (chubby 1, Polo 10 and Persian Jar 3 all in Super, Shavemac's SMF 1 brush, and the old Savile Row SR-41 (rebranded Vulfix). I personally find that my Savile Row was an excellent brush for the money. The brush is a bit floppish, but it was a rebranded Vulfix. My understanding is the new Savile Row's are Shavemacs. I do not own one of Charles's new Savile Row brushes. I only have my SMF 1 brush for comparison. The SMF1 is a damn fine brush. Nice soft tips and much more dense than my SR-41. My Simpsons are the densest brushes I own. I actually prefer the scrubbing sensation that I am able to generate with the Simpsons. My chubby 1 is one of the barbed variety that really provides a nice scrubbing sensation. The Polo and the Persian Jar have the straight tips and are very soft, but because of the density of the brush, I am still able to get that nice scrubbing sensation that I have grown to love. So which is better? Hard to tell. On the one hand you have the Savile Row's which people love and I personally know of the service and guarantee Charles puts behind all of his products, and then the Simpsons. For me, I prefer the Simpsons to the Shavemacs without hesitation. But the price of the Savile Row's just can't be beat. But, if I could get a Simpsons Chubby 2 at a nice price, I'd be hard pressed to pass up on the offer. Just my 2 cents though.

Randy... Excellent info! Much thanks. FYI, my price is $217. (Leesrazors sells it for $320 and emsplace has it for $244... for the EXACT same brush- Chubby 2, Super!)

I think I almost have to shell out the bucks for it and just get it. I guess that's what I'm going to tell my wife tonight. I've really wanted to try something with stiffer bristles for a change.

(Also, I noticed you're a BoSox fan living in Baton Rouge... Can't be too many of those! Nice win over the Orioles yesterday!)

Ben

You might call Lee, as his site prices aren't up to date. He has stated that his Simpsons prices are as low or lower than any other vendors price. Free shipping too.

NYLaw said:
Scotto- Thanks for your opin. (I'm Ben, by the way!)

After posting, I did a quick scan for Simpsons here, and it seems that the Guru of all Guru's (Ron) does not currently hold Simpsons in high regard because of variations in quality, I guess? I'm trying to gauge if I should get one, IF I can inspect the goods before handing over my plastic.
Hi Ben,
Having failed to attain guru-hood, I have decided that I am too old and shall leave that for those more readily inclined to profess such state:001_smile . If you can go to a shop that carries a good selection of Simpsons in the model whcih you desire, you may find that for which you are looking, IF you know what to look for. You must provide the quality control step. That does not particularly thrill me at those prices, should qualify for any employee discount since you are doing a very important part of the job.

NYLaw said:
Randy... Excellent info! Much thanks. FYI, my price is $217. (Leesrazors sells it for $320 and emsplace has it for $244... for the EXACT same brush- Chubby 2, Super!)

I think I almost have to shell out the bucks for it and just get it. I guess that's what I'm going to tell my wife tonight. I've really wanted to try something with stiffer bristles for a change.

(Also, I noticed you're a BoSox fan living in Baton Rouge... Can't be too many of those! Nice win over the Orioles yesterday!)

No, there are not many of us down here. I have family from the Boston area, and my father has been a BoSox fan since as long as I can remember. As always, you seem to be born into being a BoSox fan. No one would ever choose willingly given all the years of hardship and such (thank God for 2004). Now if I could just get the damn New Orleans Saints to do something.:mad3:

Steve- when I ordered another Simpson from Lee about a month ago he said he could not even match Emsplace's price on it, even with the 20% discount- Out of loyalty, I went ahead and bought from him anyway! I do like Leesrazors; love his fast shipping; his knowledge of the merch; his availability on the phone; his selection... And I totally understand if he can't match a price... BUT, ultimately when I can find something cheaper, such as a high-end brush, I need to save as much as I can.

Ben:

You can put me in the camp of those who like Simpson's....and Savile Rows. I currently have 3 Simpsons and 1 SR silvertip, the 3126. To Scotto's point, they do have a different feel. I would agree that the SR has a more luxurious feel in use vs the Simpson's. The Simpson brushes are still very soft at the tips but have more of a firm feel to them and tend not to splay as much. The difference, I believe, is in the shape of the brush and I've included a picture for reference. The SR has the Shavemac style light bulb shape where as the Simpsons have more of the classic fan shape. My guess is you'll enjoy the Chubby. Or the Savile Row. (Not much help huh?):001_rolle

Duke 2 best, PJ2 super, Polo 8 best, SR 3126 (PJ2 is favorite Simpsons)

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings Ben,

As with others I do not have any of Charles SRs but a couple of Shavemac's silver tip brushes which I certainly enjoy using. But my favorite brush by far is my Simpsons PJ2 silver tip. It performs exceptionally with both soap and cream. Nice size, retains heat and water and is easy to clean-up. Forced to choose between the two I personally would go with the PJ2 every time. Good luck choosing. :smile:

Rik said:
Greetings Ben,

As with others I do not have any of Charles SRs but a couple of Shavemac's silver tip brushes which I certainly enjoy using. But my favorite brush by far is my Simpsons PJ2 silver tip. It performs exceptionally with both soap and cream. Nice size, retains heat and water and is easy to clean-up. Forced to choose between the two I personally would go with the PJ2 every time. Good luck choosing. :smile:

Ecco on the Rik and Jerry "Simpson PJ2" quip. I have a couple of shavemacs and a savile row (unused) but of all my brushes, the Simpson PJ2 is my favorite.... hell I like it so much I have *considered* getting 1-2 as "backups" so as to insure my PJ2 usage will be lifelong :biggrin:

S

shavingrace

This is a hard decision, NYL, but when one factors-in price it becomes easier by far.... The Savile Row Silvertips represent better value for money than the Simpsons supers: you can buy a 32mm knot SR for just under $200, while the CH2 you are contemplating, which is a much smaller brush, may be acquired for nearly twenty dollars more. I own a CH1 super, and it is a lovely little brush, but it cost more than my impressive SR 3128, despite its diminiutive size. Simpsons makes wonderful products; Savile Row's Silvertip line is the best you can get for the price. The gents above are describing unique experiences--Savile Row and Simpsons provide different kinds of excellent performance. But for value and beauty, I would choose SR every time.

NYLaw said:

Maybe I missed it, but where are you finding this deal?

Randy

Randy (and Nitrox, in response to the same query)- the Pasteur Pharmacy on Lexington Ave & 62nd Street is known for carrying the highest-end of everything from Kerastase shampoo to the three Ts shaving creams (and DR Harris)... It's a small store with very crowded aisles, but their prices are amazing and they have the BEST stuff... They have a pretty full line of Simpsons brushes at these ridiculous prices, but I have no idea whether they ship.

To everybody else... if you currently own & enjoy your Simpson (Chubby X), please see my current thread seeking serious help with lathering with a Simpson and lathering in general!

Top Bottom