What's new

New (for me)Dubl Duck Goldedge

I've only been honing my razors for a short period of time but I will take a stab at your question. I don't think that it will be over your head to hone, but I don't think that you want this razor to be the very first one that you have honed. Personally, as this is what I did, buy a few cheap eBay specials to practice on. After honing a couple of razors that you really don't care about too much and don't mind re-honing over and over again; you will begin to get the "feel" of honing, then I would try my hand at the pretty Duck.

Just my 2 cents of course. :smile:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Another n00b opinion ... I agree that you should start on practice razors, that you don't mind if they get screwed up.

But after that it seems a fairly straight-forward razor to hone ... no smiling blades or anything ... :biggrin:

That is a really nice razor!!!! and can be honed
BUT
please practice on something else if you are just starting off. You never know what could happen. Get a cheapo blade and have at it. If you happen to screw it up there are no regrets.

Save the dubl duck once you have some razors under your belt.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
That is a really nice razor!!!! and can be honed
BUT
please practice on something else if you are just starting off. You never know what could happen. Get a cheapo blade and have at it. If you happen to screw it up there are no regrets.

Save the dubl duck once you have some razors under your belt.

That sounds very dangerous! Make sure the razors are closed. :scared:

OH, I've misled you.

I'm not starting with this razor, I have another I'm going to practice on, I was wondering if you thought this would be out of the range of a beginner to recover and should be relegated to a much more experienced honer. I have read lots of good "press" on these razors and didn't want to have one of my early razors one that was known to be a difficult razor to hone.

Regards,

If I get your question, the answer is yes, this is fine.

On a honing difficulty scale of 1 to 10 (1 being a perfectly straight, large carbon steel blade in good condition and 10 being a curvy, warped, inconsistent, overhoned, brittle, dull razor of super hard steel) the duble duck shown is about a 2. Assuming you've practiced a little and your hone is lapped flat, this quacker should be easy. Getting a FANTASTIC edge on it may be a little more difficult, but this has more to do with the equipment and technique, not the razor.

That's what I was wondering. It looks to be in pretty good condition. It's not warped, doesn't have any big chips.

I was hoping it would be a blade I could handle as a new honer.

That's what I was wondering. It looks to be in pretty good condition. It's not warped, doesn't have any big chips.

I was hoping it would be a blade I could handle as a new honer.

The Goldedge I have is actually one of the easiest razors I have to sharp up Hmmmmmmm come to think of it that Satinedge might be easier ,,,, nope the Goldedge.....:lol: :lol: :lol:
Needless to say the DD's do take to a hone rather easy...
However I have found that it really is a pasted strop that brings these "Ducks" to wing :biggrin:
Ohhhhhh that was soooooooo bad!!!!!
Seriously though IMHO more leather less stone on the ducks YMMV etc:etc:

Glen

Top Bottom