What's new

Proraso wheat germ shaving cream?

Folks rave about Proraso, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something. I tried the wheat germ version a few years ago and tossed it after a couple tries. It was like Classic Brand shaving soap in terms of performance. No real issues with generating lather or getting coverage, but it did nothing to help soften and disappeared/dried out quickly.

Looks like they've discontinued it. Is that right? Was it a dud product? Is their eucalyptus any better?

I think the red tube Proraso was one of the most highly regarded creams prior to its discontinuation. Some have posted that it's available again as the Santa Maria Novella cream. Disappearing lather is usually an indication that your technique needs some work.

The green tube Proraso (also available in a tub) is one of the the most ubiquitous shaving products around here. Personally, my face reacts poorly to the high level of menthol, so Proraso is a no-go for me. But it is certainly well-regarded by those who like menthol.

Yes, Proraso Red was very well thought-of. It had a decidedly earthy-medicinal scent, even moreso than standard Proraso, and plenty of menthol. It lathered and softened the beard about as well as the green-tube original, as well. However, my skin always felt much better after a Proraso Red shave than with the green. I like both products and at one point had a dozen tubes of the Red, purchased in a panic after its discontinuation. However, as time has gone on, I have found many other creams that provide better post-shave skin care and lather without detergents. I eventually let my Proraso Red go. I do get occasional cravings for that very odd scent, though.

The green tube performs well, and it will lather with most any water due to the detergents it contains. If you like menthol, it's good cream. It is not, IMO, great cream, but I do like its scent well enough to have some around for occasional use. It is worth what you pay for it, certainly.

Saying you chucked out a proraso red tube is like swearing! ha ha.

Interesting if the Santa Maria Novella is the same stuff....im off to do some digging!

I believe the TSD store has a TSD Wheat shaving cream that is supposed to perform like Proraso red. Haven't tried it yet, but it seems to be well reviewed.

Interesting if the Santa Maria Novella is the same stuff....im off to do some digging!

Here is the product description for SMN:

"This formula, enriched with coconut oil, menthol, eucalyptus, and camphor is perfect for all skin types. The unctuous, stable foam is an excellent lubricant during shaving and rinses off easily. For best results use with a badger brush. May also be used without a brush: take a small amount and mix with water to make desired consistency."

Looks to be about the same as Proraso. The price, however, is not. $52 for a tub. Yikes!!!

Here is the product description for SMN:

"This formula, enriched with coconut oil, menthol, eucalyptus, and camphor is perfect for all skin types. The unctuous, stable foam is an excellent lubricant during shaving and rinses off easily. For best results use with a badger brush. May also be used without a brush: take a small amount and mix with water to make desired consistency."

Looks to be about the same as Proraso. The price, however, is not. $52 for a tub. Yikes!!!

Erm yeah, $52...I think i'll give it a miss! Might try the TSD stuff if its more reasonable. Cheers for the info guys.

SMN is the same formula as Proraso Green, just for more money. It isn't really comparable to Proraso Red.

I have a tube of Proraso Red that I got last year from the BST ... tried it once, and was very impressed by the performance.

Unfortunately, since it is a disco-item, I put it in to the collectible part of my den, and probably won't use it again.

I'll need to check out that TSD Wheat Germ ... thanks for the tip.

SMN is the same formula as Proraso Green, just for more money. It isn't really comparable to Proraso Red.

If all reports around are correct, it is certainly not Proraso green, as it (supposedly) has lanolin, while Proraso green does not. My own experience with a sample of SMN also seems to indicate that they are not the same...

Now, Proraso red has lanolin, but is it really the same as SMN? I've heard that mentioned a few times already, but I am curious if it is a fact or just speculation. (They might have similar ingredients, but still be different.)

Saying you chucked out a proraso red tube is like swearing! ha ha.

That makes two of us. I scoured the internet looking for some. I managed to buy two used tubes from fellow B&B'ers in the end. I'd love to get my hands on some. I'll be looking into Santa Maria Novella cream.

I just got notification that my tub of Peppermint + Menthol Shave Cream from TSD shipped. I've never used Proraso Red but I'll post my findings on the TSD Cream when it comes in.

This is very interesting that people like this so much. I had no idea I was sitting on gold over here. When I got back into the forums I noticed that there was some Proraso red that people were talking about, the sandalwood stuff. When I looked at my tubes I noticed that they weren't sandalwood but the old wheat germ type. I bought them a long time ago when they were new. I guess I really liked them at some point because I picked several up. I think I have 3 completely unused tubes of it left.

I too loved the old Proraso Red with wheat germ. The scent was great and it had less menthol that Green.

I remember seeing it for sale at my local Target many years ago.

What turned me off it was the fact that is contained SLS.

Here is what is looked like and the ingredients.
$redraso0.jpg

$redraso.jpg

Is that the same as the proraso in a red tub?

No. They are completely different.

The current red tub and tube are Sandalwood scent and are different formula.

The old Red had a great scent that was citrus-like, green, earthy but fresh, if that makes sense.

I'm not good at describing scents.

Top Bottom