What's new

Alum Block

Afternoon.

I've just taken delivery of an alum block and used it this morning for the first time.

I finished my shave then rinsed with cold water then ran the block under the cold tap and gently rubbed all over my face and chin. It stung a little but my face is still quite tight and sore now (6 hours on).

Couple of questions:

How long do you rub the block on your face for and once on do you just leave it to dry before putting on aftershave balm (or Trumpers skin food in my case) or do you rinse with cold water again to get the alum off then balm?

Thanks in advance.

The wiki on this subject will tell you all you need to know. Just go here.

I no longer use an alum block (it dried out my skin too much.) When I did use it I wet my face and the block and rubbed the block on my face and neck. I would wait one minute and then rinse off with cold water. Then I would apply an ASB. Now I use Thayers WH in place of the alum.

My method is to rub it on a wet face, then leave it there while I put up my soap and rinse out my razor. That seems just about right to let it work without causing irritation.

I rub mine on, then usually proceed with a quick 15-30 facial massage. I usually then put my soap and razor away, and then do a cold water rinse.

Top Bottom