What's new

Is my brush trash?

Hey guys,

Just started DE shaving last night, and have been loving it thus far.

That said, as I am a poor college student I bought a crappy $10 brush off of Amazon. It's a Tweeerman's Men's Shaving Brush, supposedly badger hair.

The thing has been losing a decent amounts of hairs (10 or so each use) every time I lather. Is it trash? Is an upgrade needed? Are B&B members going to shudder at the fact that I bought such a brush?

Impart on me your wisdom, gentlemen.

-Tim

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Tweezerman is a great beginner brush, I used mine for several months before upgrading. New brushes sometimes loose hairs, I would keep using it and see if it settles down.
And welcome to B&B

The brush may stop shedding, or it may not. Either way, it is a pretty good value and can make good lather. For now, concentrate on that.

All these troubles with brushes, shedding 10 hairs each use, flobby bristles, breaking bristles, ect., ect.

All the while my little Turk #6 just keeps on doing its job with no complaints, all for $2.45. Am I missing something here?

Tweezerman was my 1st brush..now my wife...with a few others of course...still works well

Tweezerman is a great beginner brush, I used mine for several months before upgrading. New brushes sometimes loose hairs, I would keep using it and see if it settles down.
And welcome to B&B

They are decent brushes. I started with a boar before going to the tweezerman... the Tweezerman is a fine brush for that price point and can make good lather. You should be set with that for a few months, if not longer before you get the itch to upgrade to something better.

Tim, you don't "need" to upgrade that brush necessarily. It's just a lathering tool.

If you decided to replace it, I would steer you toward an Omega or Semogue boar. They're of high quality without breaking the bank ($10-20).

While you chose a perfectly suitable beginner's brush, I'd say you got a dud if it's shedding that much. Whether you buy a $5 brush or a $200 brush, there are duds out there. If you replace it, you'd probably be safe if you just replaced it with the same thing, but I think you'd be much better off if you went with Francesco's advice and got an Omega or Semogue boar brush. Don't judge them before they're broken in, but they're great brushes, especially for the price.

Yeah have Amazon replace it as a dud and keep using it. Lots of people love the Tweezerman brush. The question to ask yourself; Do you like it? Who care what all of us think heh. If it feels good on your face, creates a good lather, and works for you then consider yourself lucky you got a great brush for 10 dollars :) . If you don't like it for some reason then there are plenty of other options out there for you to choose from :) .

If you want another brush let us know what you do and don't like about the brush and we can suggest one based on our experiences (though YMMV).

my little Turk #6 just keeps on doing its job with no complaints, all for $2.45. Am I missing something here?

Yes, you missed out on telling us where you found this brush that I've never heard of. But then, there are a lot of things I've never heard of.

Amazon is GREAT about returns. Tweezerman Co. also are known for standing behind their products, so if it keeps shedding, don't hesitate to call either (preferably Amazon first; no hassle with them!). Most (I think all, actually) of Tweezerman's products have a lifetime guarantee on them.

Here you go, I have no attachment to this company other than being a customer:

http://shop.bestshave.net/shaving-brushes-c-5.html?zenid=fdnnsehskmscsg9bnsh3v9ia72

Wow! I thought Vie-Long was the only one offering horsehair brushes. I might have to try one of those Turks. At $2.95, plus shipping, there's little to lose by trying. Thanks for the lead.

An unrelated note: doesn't the box for the Treet Star Extras blades at that site look a lot like the Shark blades box on the same page? I'm wondering if Treet is trying to gain sales by copying a really cool box. Presentation counts, right?

the tweezerman was my first brush, and although i have half a dozen or so other brushes, all costing much more, I ordered another tweezerman just to have a spare. It works better than most with hard triple milled soaps, IMHO.

Top Bottom