What's new

DE shaving hiatus

Long-time lurker (and long-time DE shaver) here. Anyway, just wanted to pipe in about my recent bout of being "forced" to use my my Mach 3 and canned goo.

---

About five weeks ago, I sustained an injury on one of my hands. This forced me to use only my good hand [mostly.] Ultimately with just one hand, DE shaving was very impractical (and quite time-consuming [i.e., more time-consuming than it already is.]) So I was left to shave with my "emergency backup" Mach 3 and canned goo.

Quality-wise, going from DE shaving (with real lather) to a Mach 3 (with canned goo) was obviously a step down. It was kind of like trading in a crisp $100 bill and settling for a $50 and two $20's that are wrinkled and ripped (I just accepted my losses.)

But after five weeks my injury has healed; enough that I can use my hand as normal. So I got out my DE razor and shaving soap and lathered up. Quality-wise it was NOT just the simple step back up that I thought I had departed from. It truly seemed more like 10 or 20 steps up. I honestly can't believe the difference in my sensed losses/gains in going from one to the other.

The moral of the story is: Don't take DE/wet shaving for granted (I obviously did.)

:)

So normally you do DE shaving with two hands? Is this common? I've only ever shaved, from cartridges through to DEs and SEs, with my dominant hand, and have never thought of doing it any other way.... Hmmmmm

So normally you do DE shaving with two hands? Is this common? I've only ever shaved, from cartridges through to DEs and SEs, with my dominant hand, and have never thought of doing it any other way.... Hmmmmm
I should clarify. Like you, I stick to using my dominant hand during shaving. However, it was my dominant hand that sustained the injury. Loading my brush and making lather proved difficult with only my non-dominant hand. With a completely useless dominant hand, it's like having your dominant hand tied behind your back (there's just a lot you can't do comfortably.). But smearing canned goo on your face with your non-dominant hand is relatively easy. :)

But smearing canned goo on your face with your non-dominant hand is relatively easy. :)
You know it's not any harder to smear something better on your face. There are quite a few good products that work well without a brush, and don't come out of a Barbasol can.

Top Bottom