What's new

If you don't like the alcohol in Witch Hazel....

Thayers makes a number of WH products without alcohol. FYI :smile:

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy this Dickinson stuff from Wally World and just leave the cap off? Maybe heat it up? Or wouldn't this work?

EDIT: Oh, and I know. I have some on the way, actually. :)

I've heard that if you leave the cap off of AS/cologne for whatever reason, the scent will actually evaporate out as well. Not actually done this though.

I've heard that if you leave the cap off of AS/cologne for whatever reason, the scent will actually evaporate out as well. Not actually done this though.

I would expect it to, but the scent isn't the purpose of WH, is it? In fact, I'd rather the smell evaporate, because I don't want it to clash with the scent I want to put on.

EDIT: Now I'm reading that the astringent effect is due to the 14% alcohol in most witch hazels....

My Organic Chemistry course was 30 years ago, but .., my bottle of "Thayer's Rose Petal Alcohol-Free Witch Hazel" lists Propylene Glycol as an ingredient.

This is an alcohol, no?

IMHO alcohol is a culprit in AS's because most people actually know what ethyl alcohol is. Surely plenty of other ingredients dry the skin ...

My Organic Chemistry course was 30 years ago, but .., my bottle of "Thayer's Rose Petal Alcohol-Free Witch Hazel" lists Propylene Glycol as an ingredient.

This is an alcohol, no?

IMHO alcohol is a culprit in AS's because most people actually know what ethyl alcohol is. Surely plenty of other ingredients dry the skin ...

I saw an after shave in a dollar store that read "alcohol free" on the front, and sho' 'nuff in the ingredients, there was ________ alcohol."

This is an alcohol, no?.

It is in the chemistry sense of the word, just like salt doesnt mean table salt in chemistry.

I think its used in cosmetics and what not as a moisturizer, so would have the opposite effect of ethyl alcohol. But then again, its possible it will also suck moisture out of the skin as well as the air.

Top Bottom