What's new

First straight shave

I have looked at straight shaving as the pinnacle of shaving (well a good one), after some time I got the sight unseen deal (full hollow Wester Bros) and would highly recommend it to anyone looking to get in on the cheap, however I have a few questions and a statement.
Statement: Thinking about shaving with a straight was exciting to me, holding a steel blade so sharp it will cut my throat wide open without a second thought scares the hell out of me:scared: .
Questions: After a couple WTG and one XTG I tried for a ATG, the blade wanted to jump and be jerky so I stopped, however is that normal or a sign that I needed to do better on the other passes? After stropping, do you leave the strop in the bathroom or where do you store it? Last one, when shaving do you rinse or wipe the blade clean as you shave?

Now how was the shave? It was thrilling and scared the hell out of me! I did fairly well on the sides (better than first DE shave) but everywhere else was borderline on disaster; neck has razor burn, small cut under my ear and still some stubble along side burn area. However I will continue, anyways thanks for looking and answering any questions!

Attachments

• $straight.jpg
    $straight.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 146
  • $334399_2208509986229_1651845129_32464561_1580429892_o.jpg
    $334399_2208509986229_1651845129_32464561_1580429892_o.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 145

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Good work on your first shave!

Hum, this is my opinion only, do not even attempt ATG for now. Going XTG was more than adventurous... The skipping bit, well, it's either a not slick enough lather (doubt it) and/or technique (probably it).

I keep my strop in the bathroom yes. I got a hook on the back of the door to hang it.

While I shave, I use a sponge. I wet the sponge, squeeze all the water out and then do a stropping motion to get the lather off the straight and on the sponge. Some rinse, some wipe. That one is in the middle. You got to be sure that your straight is dry at the end otherwise you will end up with rust...

First of all, congratulations on taking that first step. The first shave, and many more, will yield shaves well below par, but trust me from someone 3 months in, it does improve, and considerably so. During the shave, I simply rinse under hot water. After each shave, I thoroughly rinse the blade under hot water, then dry with a towel, being particularly vigilant not to touch the edge. I then use a tissue to dry further, and also to slide between the scales and dry there too. My strop stays outside the bathroom, away from condensation and the like.

Congratulations on stepping up to the big boys pool. It will get progressively better, in fact I only do 2 North to South passes and I get a closer shave than I did doing multi directional passes with my DE. I don't let my blade get wet other than the moisture from my lather, and I use a paper towel to get rid of it with a stropping motion. After the shave I dip the blade in a container of 91% alcohol as well as the tang and pivot area then dry well running a dishcloth between the scales to get rid of any moisture that might have gotten in there. I would advise you to not keep your razor in the bathroom but in a dry location, as there isn't a more humid place in the house then the bathroom.

Thank you for those answers, I will keep reading here to improve the shaving experience and maybe pick up a tip more or two!

Nice. I have that same blade; it was my very first just a few weeks ago. I cleaned it up with Simichrome and then paid a guy down in S.F. to hone it for me and I use it at least twice a week. Actually of the blades I now have, two are the De-Fi, but one has a broken scale and never gets used - I have scales en route. Tonight was my 30th (or thereabouts) straight shave and it was the first time I was able to get it almost to a baby smooth shave.

Last edited:
hey DarbyRides just curious whom did you send your blade to in S.F to get honed,im expecting my first blade soon and would like to know a reptable local place or person to take it once it comes.

Questions: After a couple WTG and one XTG I tried for a ATG, the blade wanted to jump and be jerky so I stopped, however is that normal or a sign that I needed to do better on the other passes?

~~~With more practice a steady hand will come

After stropping, do you leave the strop in the bathroom or where do you store it?

~~~I'm leaving mine in the garage. It's attached (the garage) to the house, and this time of the year it's a nice place to strop with the overhead doors open which they usually are during the day. Use/keep your strop where you feel most comfortable. Some might say the humidity in the bathroom is a bonus for your strop

Last one, when shaving do you rinse or wipe the blade clean as you shave?

~~~there are better ways to shave using a straight razor...a lot of the guys use a sponge in the sink with no water and wipe the edge off using a damp sponge. I'm old school and fill the sink up with hot water and dunk my razor in the water, swish it around to get the soap off. Different strokes for different folks:001_005:

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

The benefit of the sponge technique is that you do not have to get your whole razor wet, which helps with rust prevention. IMO, there are also speed benefits.

Either way works, but I prefer the sponge, and lightly stropping a towel, followed by stropping on leather. Make sure the scales (especially by the pin) are dry. I've seen a handheld tool somewhere that blows air that I might pick up. I think Jarrod was selling it at one time.

hey DarbyRides just curious whom did you send your blade to in S.F to get honed,im expecting my first blade soon and would like to know a reptable local place or person to take it once it comes.

I actually found him through eBay. I'll PM you his info if you would like. Also, you may put a feeler out there in the honing thread and see if someone will help you out with a gratis honing.

Darby
Auburn, CA

I wonder if a drying rack like and a hair dryer would work to make sure the razor is completely dry before storing?

The benefit of the sponge technique is that you do not have to get your whole razor wet, which helps with rust prevention. IMO, there are also speed benefits.

Either way works, but I prefer the sponge, and lightly stropping a towel, followed by stropping on leather. Make sure the scales (especially by the pin) are dry. I've seen a handheld tool somewhere that blows air that I might pick up. I think Jarrod was selling it at one time.

Jarrod recommends the Giottos Rocket Air Blower. I need to pick one up myself.

Top Bottom