What's new

How I turned my FLOPPY MOP into a stiff dense SOAP DESTROYER (pics)

Anyone who has tried, or read about the C&E Super Badger brush (made by Edwin Jagger) knows that it is a big floppy mop. Well, I was recently given one for my birthday, and the rumours are true. This brush is only usable for creams. I stopped using creams a few months ago, and actually gave them away to my girlfriends dad (also a wetshaver). Don't get me wrong, other than the fact that this brush has a small knot that isn't packed very dense, too high a loft, and sheds at least 1 hair per shave, I quite like it. Very soft luxurious tips, and quite nice to look at ;)

Anyway, I had enough of trying to lather my MWF and other soaps with such a spineless, sloppy brush. And since it was a nice gift, and I didn't feel like spending a bunch of money on a new brush, or selling it, so I decided to see if I could fix it.

All i did was wrap 3 small zip-ties to the knot where the bristles meet the handle, therefore reducing the loft size by around 2cm, and boom! I turned this thing into a tightly packed soap destroyer with a great backbone! I couldn't believe the difference in the lathering! I have so far used MWF, tabac and Proraso with this little beast, and it whips up the lather like a dream!

Now i know that its not the most aesthetically pleasing, but for now, I am happy with it. Im sure that eventually when I get some extra cash I will invest in a better brush, but for now, its just so nice to finally have a nice stiff brush that I can beat soap to smithereens with!

Oh, and as you might have guessed, this is my only brush. Used to have a pure badger vulfix, but got rid of it.

Also, the zip-ties have never scratched my face or anything, in case you were wondering.

$IMG_0228.jpg$IMG_0230.jpg$IMG_0229.jpg

So what do you think? Anyone done this before? Pure Genius or sheer stupidity? :w00t::w00t:

I've done it with a golden nib knot, I use the zip ties as a handle and the knot is now my travel brush (it can't get any smaller than just the knot, can it?)

Hey, if it works for you, go with it. I'm more in to cheap horse hair brushes from Turkey, and mixing up uberlathers.

"There's a fine line between genius and insanity." -- Oscar Levant

When you're ready to buy another brush look at the Semogue boar brushes you can get one for under $20 with shipping included from Traditional Shaving. I've got to admit I've never seen a brush modified with zipties.

Clayton

I tried O-rings on one moppy brush, but it still didn't give me what I wanted. I'd rather spend the money and get a brush I like.

Good short term solution, but that's going to end up cutting and slicing the bristles over time.
Put me in the "buy a brush that suits you and sell this one" camp.

Hey, if it works for you, go with it. I'm more in to cheap horse hair brushes from Turkey, and mixing up uberlathers.

"There's a fine line between genius and insanity." -- Oscar Levant

Same here, have 3 of the #6 brushes now that I use for the grand total of $7.35. The rest of my brushes sit in the curio cabinet along with my razor & mug collection.

Top Bottom