What's new

Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (Yellow) & Super Platinum (Blue)

What are your thoughts on the Russian-made Gillette 7 O'Clock "SharpEdge" (Yellow) and "Super Platinum" (Blue) razor blades?

- What are your thoughts on each?
- How would you compare them to each other, and to other blades? Any differences/benefits of note between the Yellows vs. Blues?

Also, on a personal note, and while obviously a tough question to answer... which (yellows or blues) do you think I'd like better if my current go-to blades are Israeli Personna/Crystal and Astra SP? Any thoughts?

I think the blues are the smoothest blade I've ever used, however I do not find them to last as long as the yellows. To me they seem the same sharpness. I would compare the yellows to a shark blade. Neither are as sharp as a feather (not a bad thing IMO). Where I buy them from the blues are more expensive. They both have annoying glue dots on them. I bought a hundred pack of the blues, and intend to buy a hundred of the yellows as well. At the moment they are my favourite blades.

As to your last question, I think you would like the yellows if you like the astra SP, however I wouldn't be surprised if you like the blues too.

Check out : http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/249468-Gillette-7-O-Clock

The yellows are excellent and one of my favorite blades. I am currently comparing yellows with permasharps, polsilver, and personna med prep/lab to determine what my new favorite blade is now that my SI supply is low. I tried the gillette blues, but was not very impressed - they did not seem as sharp and smooth as the yellows.

I would take the Yellow SharpEdge over the Blue Super Platinum any day of the week. But for me the Black Super Platinum from India trumps them all. I could see where the Russian Super Platinum would be sharp and smooth if one shaved everyday but after my 3 days of growth of brillo whiskers I found them ineffective.

I'm working my way through a blade sampler and after having my last shave with a red IP blade last night (best blade I've tried yet), I loaded a yellow SharpEdge into my 38C for the next shave. So I'll be seeing what it's about tomorrow night (I shave every other day/night).

I didn't like the Yellow's, but both the Blue and Black Super Platinum blades worked very well for me.

Same here. I can tell the difference between Black and Blue, but don't think I would mind one way or the other. I think the Blacks are a bit smoother and last longer, but the Blues are just a hair behind. In fact I thought I was using a Black the other day, but when I went to change it I realized I was out of the Blacks and had not even noticed I opened a blue box. They kind of look the same at 6:00 AM! Yellows remind me of the bad points of the Feather for me, they may last longer, but I did not give it a chance.

Top Bottom