What's new

Hey, I just got my very own Bay Rum tree!

Just arrived today...now I just have to keep it alive during these California frosts and make sure the deer don't eat it! Only $25.00 from Top Tropicals (http://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/pimenta_racemosa.htm). The leaves really do smell fantastic. Now to get cracking on some of that homemade Bay Rum. :w00t:

Attachments

• $BRUM.jpg
    $BRUM.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
I had no idea you could buy a tree. I’d add it to the Christmas list but don’t know if they ship all year round. Even now it is getting pretty cool. Very cool to have one of those.

I've been pondering this for a while myself! Awesome to see someone else try it.

Do you mind if I ask where about in CA you are? I'm SoCal Riverside County, and I think a tree would like it here.

Oh and tchudson, brilliant idea! I have a Mexican Lime also! Love that tree.

That's cool. I'm tempted. Do you plan on doing anything dealing with shaving with your tree or is it enough to just have a cool Bay Rum tree?

I have a small witch hazel starting out in a pot. I was honestly suprised it made it through the heat this summer.

I've been pondering this for a while myself! Awesome to see someone else try it.

Do you mind if I ask where about in CA you are? I'm SoCal Riverside County, and I think a tree would like it here.

Oh and tchudson, brilliant idea! I have a Mexican Lime also! Love that tree.

I'm a little north of Sacramento, so I'm going to have to be careful during the occasional frosts. I'm guessing these would be much happier down in Southern California (or certainly Phoenix).

That's cool. I'm tempted. Do you plan on doing anything dealing with shaving with your tree or is it enough to just have a cool Bay Rum tree?

After the tree gets established a bit (I'd hate to start ripping leaves off it already) I'm going to try whipping up a batch of homemade Bay Rum, as seen here:

http://artofmanliness.com/2010/01/21/diy-bay-rum-aftershave/

I'm sure it won't be as good as what some folks here have created over a very long period of time, with lots of testing, but it'll certainly be fun trying. :001_smile

I had no idea you could buy a tree. I’d add it to the Christmas list but don’t know if they ship all year round. Even now it is getting pretty cool. Very cool to have one of those.

You should plant a grove of these things in your backyard to keep up with future orders! :001_smile

Cool! Can you easily convert the Witch Hazel plant into "Witch Hazel" liquid?

Not generally, since witch hazel liquid is distilled from an alcohol extracted liquid to isolate the "essence" of witch hazel. You'd need a grove of 'em to have enough to make it worthwhile.

Top Bottom