What's new

You guys want to help with pipe tobacco for a new guy?

I've read a few new piper threads and there doesn't really seem to be any particular favorite "newbie" tobaccos out there. A lot of varied recommendations and new purchases, etc.

And given the dizzying variety of types, flavors, etc, I figure it might work to give a short background and see if their is any consensus amongst the experts.

Been a cigar smoker for years. About 50/50 Cuban/Non-cuban. I definitely prefer stronger (I mean 'strong' flavor-wise, bold, if you will. Though I do tend towards heavy-bodied cigars) cigars, and definately more complex. I'm not sure how this translates to pipes...

I'm planning on picking up 2 or 3 corn cobs to try some stuff out and if I like it, step up to a nice pipe.

I think I would want to avoid the aromatic types, as I abhor flavored cigars and don;t think I'd really take to it. I may try later but not right now.

I'm looking for 2 or 3 tins to try out.

Perhaps a mild, medium, and a strong, if such gradients exist? That a good way to approach it?

Any more info I can provide that might help, lemme know.

thanks in advance!

I just posted something very similar here a few days ago, and I got some advice I thought was pretty solid. BTW, Iwan Reis' website categorizes all the tobaccos they sell by profile and by strength. Seemed like a good resource when you're trying to make sense of all the dizzying choices.

Last edited:
The other thing is I'd like to run the gamut.

Hal O I've seen a few times.

I'll check that link that was posted! ThAnks

American over the counter tobacco's "OTC's"

Prince Albert
Carter Hall

Both mild and forgiving for a beginner

I'll second Prince Albert - it's pretty fool proof, easy to pack, light and not inclined to bite. If you smoke cigars or cigarettes, you'll be familiar with all the flavours. Oh, and it's cheap.

Frogmorton is a pleasant light English. Interesting flavours that you won't be used to from cigarettes and cigars. Easy to smoke, but needs a little care in packing if it's going to burn evenly and all the way to the bottom. I found it got a little boring by halfway through the tin.

I'll second both Marlin flake and hal o the wind,
also dunhill 965
G&H bob's chocolate flake
Petersons Irish oak

there are many more that I enjoy and fit a full and rich smoke but those will definitely get you started.

One other question actually, should I just buy a couple corn cobs, and then step up to a 'nice' pipe if I enjoy it?

OR

Would you guys recommend what I see as an 'entry level' pipe such as a Dr. Grabow to start?

I mean, two or three corn cobs for 6-8 dollars or one Grabow for 20 isn't a big difference to me...

Not sure what sort of difference it would make, if any.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
If your looking at cobs get the ones with with the black stems. The orange ones are hard plastic, and not as comfortable on your teeth.

Picked up two Missouri Meershcaums, the Pony and the Mizzou.

Tins of:

Hal O Wynd
Frog Morton
GLP Union Square <- Description sounded too good to pass up.

Thanks, guys. Appreciate the help.

Top Bottom