View Poll Results: What about a B & B Shaving Mug?

Voters
188. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes...Awesome idea!!!

155 82.45%
  • Nope, I got enough stuff.

22 11.70%
  • Art is King

12 6.38%
  • Other

6 3.19%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What about a B & B Shaving Mug?

Images

Exclamation

Dear Members:
    Enclosed below is the e-mail traffic thus far and progress report from John. More to follow as developments occur.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 20:07 PM, John wrote:

Hi Christopher,

Having an interior "lid" may make it easier as it will never firmly attach in the first place. Let me look for some options.

Regards,
    John

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 10:09 AM, Christopher wrote:

John:
    I realize that a plastic cover probably doesn't count as a 'full on lid' (i.e., attched to the outside of the mug),...is there a solution?

Thanx

Christopher

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: FW: B&B Shaving Mug
    Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 13:38:24 -0500

John:
    I guess what I meant by 'recessed' is like the lid below;

Old Spice Mug

Thanx
    Christopher

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: RE: B&B Shaving Mug
    Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 12:50:00 -0500

John:
    I understand...but what if our the mug could be flared out a little so that the lid could fit in the inside of the mug (recessed), while the bottom is still sized for a puck"? I know the lid may not be 'snug', but I'm beginning think that members may like the 'show' value of seeing the B & B Logo on top besides on the sides.

Your Thoughts?

Christopher

Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 08:04:45 -0700
    Subject: Re: B&B Shaving Mug

Hi Christopher,

Yes, it some will and some will not fall off when turned upside down. It's asking too much of a hand thrown mug to fit snugly for all. If that won't be acceptable, I'd say skip the lid.

Regards,
    John

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 5:54 AM, Christopher wrote:

Morning John

When you mean "a loose fit", does that mean the lid will fall off if turned upside down? Maybe you can offer members with or without a lid (which may not be pratical)?

Also, as member JP suggested could the "mug could be flared out to fit the lid while the bottom is still sized for a puck"?

Thanx
    Christopher

Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 14:44:26 -0700
    Subject: Re: B&B Shaving Mug

Hi Christopher,

Sourcing the lid is a good idea. I've already found a number of potential options. But I do worry that it won't fit snug for all mugs. Since they are hand made, they will have variation that will mean a loose fit. Do you think that's ok?

Regards,
    John

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 8:45 AM, Christopher wrote:

John:
    Poll already started in What Color should our B & B Shaving Mug be? ...and I hope all members who want the mug will 'chime in'.

Also, member 'JP' had a suggestion;

"It might be a good idea to source a lid first. The mug could then be designed to better fit the already existing lid. And it might not be a bad to go with a larger lid so that the top of the mug could be flared out to fit the lid while the bottom is still sized for a puck. The added benefit of the flare is that it would give more stirring room for the brush".

Thanx
    Christopher

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sun, 30 Oct 2011 17:21:42 -0700
    Subject: Re: FW: B&B Shaving Mug

Hi Christopher,

I know it will look awesome with a dark finish that will contrast with the clay once etched. But do start a poll and see what people think.

Regards,
    John

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Don't worry about the nicks and pick up your life...forget all the bad things, the pain and the strife". Author Unknown
    Last edited by The Count of Merkur Cristo; 11-04-2011 at 11:54 AM.
    Chris ~ Order of Pinaud, Head & Face Latherers Club United, Alliance of Merkur, League of Extraordinary Mild Shavers, Voskhod Comrades Club, Brotherhood of the Boar, Foxhole Shavers Club & The VDH Society!

I say dump the lid. It's just gonna drive up the cost and make the entire thing too complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Geckotek View Post
    I say dump the lid. It's just gonna drive up the cost and make the entire thing too complicated.
    Agreed.
    Neither my Tabac nor Mama Bear's lids actually "seal" to the bowls. Soap drying out is not an issue... getting the soap too wet in the first place is the issue.

I see this more as a collectible item rather than a "daily driver"... not exactly the same thing as the coffee mug, maybe a bit more like the whiskey glass (though they're affordable enough to have a couple for a friend or two).
    - Rich
    Proud Member: Knights of the Veg Table
    Proud Member: Cult of Arko
    Participant 2012 and 2013 Brown Leaf Mark Tinskey LE Pipe
    Participant 2012 Rudy Vey Shavemac D01 Keyhole

Images

When it comes to fitting the lid, I was thinking that flaring the top mug would be a way to more easily fit an existing lid that is a bit larger than the diameter of the mug. Although having it down inside the flared portion is also an intriguing idea.

Tabac bowls have a lid that does not fit tightly. It has stand offs that keep the edge of the lid very slightly above the rim of the bowl.

As a passing idea, if the potter is willing to take on producing the mugs on an ongoing basis instead of a one time mass order, they could be used as a way to raise finds for the web site. Put it on the contribution page as an option.
    ~Jon~
    BBS Challenged

Member of the B&B 2011 Rudy Vey custom Brush Buy
    I gave to Soap For Hope
    I survived the 2011 B&B Upgrade

If I got one it will be a daily user. What about a lid like the knock out plugs folks use on OS mugs?

Are we set on ceramic? If we wanted it to be like an Old Spice mug, wouldn't milk glass be cool?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Nid Hog View Post
    Are we set on ceramic? If we wanted it to be like an Old Spice mug, wouldn't milk glass be cool?
    +1
    I voted for blue ceramic on the mug color poll, but now that you mention it, milk glass would be cool.
    Happy shaving, Ramon

Images

Smile

The Nid Hog:
    Yes, we set on a ceramic (hand thrown), design. On another note...you suggested a great idea which I passed on to John at WCS. He informed me that "It would be cool, but it's a completely different manufacturing process [with milk glass i.e., slip casting], and not an option at this time".

However, I beleive this option could be looked into further at a later date once we get this project 'off the ground and running' and completed.

"Laughter is the [shaving mug]...that sweeps away the cobwebs of your heart." Mort Walker
    Chris ~ Order of Pinaud, Head & Face Latherers Club United, Alliance of Merkur, League of Extraordinary Mild Shavers, Voskhod Comrades Club, Brotherhood of the Boar, Foxhole Shavers Club & The VDH Society!

Thanks for checking! The ceramic version sounds very nice too. Great work getting the ball rolling on this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Count of Merkur Cristo View Post
    The Nid Hog:
    Yes, we set on a ceramic (hand thrown), design. On another note...you suggested a great idea which I passed on to John at WCS. He informed me that "It would be cool, but it's a completely different manufacturing process [with milk glass i.e., slip casting], and not an option at this time".

However, I beleive this option could be looked into further at a later date once we get this project 'off the ground and running' and completed.

"Laughter is the [shaving mug]...that sweeps away the cobwebs of your heart." Mort Walker

Images

Thumbs up

Thanks for checking! The ceramic version sounds very nice too. Great work getting the ball rolling on this.
    The Nid Hog:
    Thanx for the 'shout-out', support and for sharing!!! Your kind words are a great satisfaction to me. I may not be worthy...but I'm trying on all accounts.

"Life is [like] a razor, you are always in hot water or a scrape" Anonymous

P.S. Maybe I'll get a title/tag of; "Sire of the Shaving Mug" for my efforts and contribution to further 'the cause' of B & B.
    Last edited by The Count of Merkur Cristo; 11-06-2011 at 08:46 AM.

Thanks for all you're doing, just curious how things are progressing and do we have an approximate timeline?

Images

Thumbs up

Dear Members:
    Enclosed below is the e-mail traffic thus far and progress report from John @WCS. More to follow as developments occur.

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 8:53 PM John wrote;

Hi Christopher,

I sent the prototype to our potter last week. My guess is I'll have a proto[type] in about a month. She has about 80 [prior order] regular bowls to make for us as well. And new items usually take some trial and error to get correct. I'll let you know when I get the first [prototype and] photo.

Regards,
    John

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 4:17 PM, Christopher wrote;

John:
    Just wanted to know how are you progressing and do you (if I may kindly ask), have an approximate timeline for prototype?

With Kindest Regards

Christopher

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Life is [like] a razor, you are always in hot water or a scrape" Anonymous

I know I would be in for this if the cost is about the same as old spice mugs. Also i would like to see some B&B shaving towels, kinda made like a diaper, what i mean is wide at the ends and thin in the middle so it could rest on my shoulder. Sold maybe in packets of 3 to 5.

Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden View Post
    I know I would be in for this if the cost is about the same as old spice mugs. Also i would like to see some B&B shaving towels, kinda made like a diaper, what i mean is wide at the ends and thin in the middle so it could rest on my shoulder. Sold maybe in packets of 3 to 5.
    Hayden:
    What a great idea for the next project...I'll pass this on to John @ WCS!!!

"Don't worry about the [cuts, weepers and] nicks and pick up your life...forget all the bad things, the pain and the strife". Author Unknown

starting to get excited now!

Hey not to step on Johns toes, but maybe contact VDH and ask who made there mugs? I cannot see them being to expensive. I do realize VDH prolly bought a couple hundred thousand, but they may be able to help out.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden View Post
    Hey not to step on Johns toes, but maybe contact VDH and ask who made there mugs? I cannot see them being to expensive. I do realize VDH prolly bought a couple hundred thousand, but they may be able to help out.
    Hayden:
    Thanx for your reply, suport and for sharing and I understand and appreciate your concern but, the 'big kicker' with going with John @ WCS is that "And of course, proceeds would go to B&B as usual" (who has been supporting B & B for many years), and I don't think VDH will honor the same degree of support and commitment involved.

That said, I believe and feel that we should wait until John forwards a prototype B & B Shaving Mug (which is coming
    very soon).

Your thoughts? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thinking.gif 
Views:	80 
Size:	2.1 KB 
ID:	201759

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewPicture.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.2 KB 
ID:	201758 "Life is [like] a razor, you are always in hot water or a scrape" Anonymous
    Last edited by The Count of Merkur Cristo; 11-22-2011 at 06:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Count of Merkur Cristo View Post
    Hayden:
    Thanx for your reply, suport and for sharing and I understand and appreciate your concern but, the 'big kicker' with going with John @ WCS is that "And of course, proceeds would go to B&B as usual" (who has been supporting B & B for many years), and I don't think VDH will honor the same degree of support and commitment involved.

That said, I believe and feel that we should wait until John forwards a prototype B & B Shaving Mug (which is coming
    very soon).

Your thoughts? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thinking.gif 
Views:	80 
Size:	2.1 KB 
ID:	201759

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewPicture.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.2 KB 
ID:	201758 "Life is [like] a razor, you are always in hot water or a scrape" Anonymous
    I agree completely, just was tossing different Ideas out there.

put up a prototype
    As long as your going to be thinking anyway, think big.

Will it be an apothecary mug? I love how easy they are to hold and control! I would definitely be in on that.

Dark and not glossy smooth on the inside I hope.
    Co-director of the Dept. of Redundancy Department