What's new

Dirty Bird Brush Scuttle or Georgetown Pottery

So I've been wet shaving for about 10 months, and it's time to buy some more goodies since I put in the practice.

Over those months, I've found I've stuck mostly to my proraso products, the white menthylated pre-shave, the white soap.. that looks like cream, and the white aftershave lotion. I'm not switching, they're awesome!!

At first I lathered in a bowl.. but the proraso white lathers so easily and quickly I just felt I was adding an unnecessary middle step and wasting lather.. so I started just soaking my brush in hot water between passes or leaving it in a hot mug, and lathering on my face. Works just as well, but faster and cleaner. But needless to say its a pain to rinse the brush between passes and I get too much water in it.

I wanted a proper scuttle at first, but now seeing as how I don't bowl lather, it would be a waste to just use it as a hot bowl to keep the brush warm but not lather in.. and so I found the dirty bird brush scuttle.. seems like just what I was looking for!

But.. it's 32 dollars and the original scuttle I've been eyeing is the new georgetown pottery scuttle that's only a tad more at 45. I love the features and size and colors of that scuttle.

I don't see myself switching to lathering in a bowl or switching from soap to creme, but it would be nice to have a proper scuttle in case I did; that being said do you guys think the scuttle would do a decent job of keeping just a soapy brush warm instead of lathering in it? As good as that deep brush scuttle? The brush scuttle is an inch more narrow and an inch deeper.. the heat will be closer to the brush and warm it better probably.. but I thought I would get opinions. If I really am going to lather on my face should I just get the brush scuttle? or can I find a way to justify buying that georgetown pottery scuttle , by telling myself it'll work fine to keep just a brush warm as well. Appreciate any advice!

I've owned several scuttles over the years and never used one for lathering. The only one that I felt did the job to keep the brush warm was the Dirty Bird brush scuttle. I bought one of the first ones she made and used it daily until it finally broke a few months ago and I have not gotten around to replacing it. It's only design "flaw" is that it is two piece and you have to be careful about how it fits together. Get a little careless and it will eventually break at some point around the lip as mine did. To be fair, I used it a lot and if I had been more careful it probably would still be okay. The small Moss might work well too although its considerably more money. I did not find the large bowl in other scuttles to work well enough to just keep the brush warm.

My only skuttle is a db brush skuttle and I got the bill bowl which skuttle stacks in , the brush skuttle does a great job of keeping my brush warm between passes , and the bill bowl gives me option to build lather in / or keep hot water to rinse razor while shaving. Id go with a Db brush skuttle and bill bowl

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I just got my second Georgetown scuttle two weeks for my B-day. Love it, it is the newer version (I think they call it G5) with the larger water reservoir and the stopper. I do face lather, but use the scuttle first to soak my brush, and later to keep the brush full of the soapy goodness warm. It does a much better job than my old Georgetown scuttle since there is more hot water and the inside is smaller than the old scuttle, thus keeping the brush warmer.

I have a DB scuttle and it works fine.

but, in reality this bowl for under $5 works ten times better just floating in the hot water in the sink. Easier to mix lather. Easier to handle. Save the money.

Attachments

• $FootedSoupBowl13oz.jpg
    $FootedSoupBowl13oz.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 544
I use a vintage shaving mug, with the big heavy base, sitting in the sink full of hot water. I just drop my brush in there, keeps it warm and toasty. So if you like the vintage mugs, that's a good way to go.
It didn't work as well with the more modern mugs, like the "old barbershop" ones you see. They tend to flip over or float because they don't have that big base.
I was wanting a brush scuttle too, but was afraid of wasting the money. The mug is excellent. I happen to find one that had my name on it on eBay.

Dirty Bird - great reviews, and you can order it in two-piece or one-piece, original size, 1.5 size, or 2x size, comes in swirl or web patterns, optional dribble port (little hole in the side - just tilt the scuttle with one hand to add a bit of water while lathering). Love it.

EDIT - One Piece - awesome manga; a bit off-topic, but just re-read my post and wanted to say that :)

G5, doesn't keep the lather warm quite as long as the DB (mine is always plenty warm on the 3rd pass and touchups), and it's a bit cheaper.

I like the cork, lets me tilt the bowl to manipulate the lather and keeps the water inside clean and out of the bowl.
I do wish the bowl were just a hair larger and not quite as deep.
So it's not perfect, but for $45 I think it's hard to beat.

I highly recommend the DB brand....I owned a 1.5 and loved it! (i became a shower shaver/face latherer) so, I kinda didnt need mine anymore. If I ever were to need another, it would be DB, no question.

The issue here, is that you're looking at the G3 on this thread, and presently GTP sells the G5. I personally think the whole talk about DB vs G5's, etc is nothing more than trivial.
Regardless of what you pick, the lather or your brush will be warmer than plain old bowl lathering. I picked up the G5 after reading about math, and temperatures and stats, and charts and eventually just came to the realization that I probably couldn't care any less. I went for the one that looked more appealing. My point is that if you're gut tells you to pick up a DB brush scuttle- do it. You can always resell and try the other. You'll make the right choice in the end. Either one has it's benefits. GTP just had more colors to pick from. DB is hand tossed, so your brush scuttle is pretty much one of a kind.

Last edited:
So I thought Georgetown made a brush scuttle too that they just didn't advertise?

Either way the G5 is on my Christmas list. If I can get info on the brush older too I will be picking that up. For me the G5 I think is a little smaller than the DB and that is what I like about it.

Also, with one of the complaints (???) about the Georgetown being that it won't keep the water warm as long, I preheat everything.

I get the hot water running, then fill the G5 and sink (with the G5 in it) and let it "soak" while I shower.
When I get out of the shower, I drain the sink and dump the G5, then refill both it and the sink with hot water again, and insert the cork.
I let the G5 continue to soak while I load the brush and lay out the razor, alum block, and towel.

I have both Dirty Bird and Georgetown scuttles. I think the Dirty Bird keeps the lather warmer (which I like in the winter), but both are fine.

I use a vintage shaving mug, with the big heavy base, sitting in the sink full of hot water. I just drop my brush in there, keeps it warm and toasty. So if you like the vintage mugs, that's a good way to go.
It didn't work as well with the more modern mugs, like the "old barbershop" ones you see. They tend to flip over or float because they don't have that big base.
I was wanting a brush scuttle too, but was afraid of wasting the money. The mug is excellent. I happen to find one that had my name on it on eBay.

I tried this today with a large coffee mug and it kept the brush nice and warm. Instead of filling the sink with hot water, I filled a smaller bowl and put the mug inside. Thanks Bob!

BTW I have had a couple of scuttles and both dried the lather after the second pass. I just want the brush to be warm and the above method works really well. I'll try it with an Old Spice mug in a few days.

Last edited:
Have a G5. Couldn't tell you the last time I used it. Too much trouble in extra prep and cleanup time. And on top of that the hot lather breaks down quicker. Warm water, not hot, works better for me. The only reason I haven't sold it, is that it was a Christmas present from my wife.

So I thought Georgetown made a brush scuttle too that they just didn't advertise?

Either way the G5 is on my Christmas list. If I can get info on the brush older too I will be picking that up. For me the G5 I think is a little smaller than the DB and that is what I like about it.

they do...it's the same price, but you have to special order it and ask for it. i've come close a few times to buying one. i'm waiting until i finally decide on which brushes i am using/keeping (i think i'm there with Cololnel, 1305 and restore) and then i'll get it made to specification as they can make it a bit wider, deeper etc...so i don't have to mash it in or corkscrew it into a standard size.

like diesel said....any one you pick..GT, DB, Moss, Robert Becker or any of the others....you'll probably enjoy it....pick the one you will be most happy with and not brake the bank (if that matters to you) so you don't regret it.

i got a DB 1.5 and love it, a buddy has a custom made from pottery shop and loves it. i haven't seen or read too many people complaining about their scuttle, regardless of make

here is a shot of the GT Ambrose Brush scuttle (1 pce), i'm not sure what version they make now or if it varies like the standard does with features, but as you can see, they can make it with different depths and opening widths to accomodate whatever you want:
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Last edited:

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
I have a DB brush scuttle that I used once. I put hot water in the bottom and top parts of the brush and soaked my brush whiule I was shaving. I use a violet pot as a brush scuttle until I can get a proper one. Am I using my brush scuttle correctly.

I have a DB brush scuttle that I used once. I put hot water in the bottom and top parts of the brush and soaked my brush whiule I was shaving. I use a violet pot as a brush scuttle until I can get a proper one. Am I using my brush scuttle correctly.

Fill the inner bowl with warm water. Fill the outer bowl with hot water out of the tap. Soak your brush in the inner bowl while you shower.
When you are ready to shave take your brush out and empty the scuttle. Refill the outer bowl only with hot water from the tap. Shake out your brush and start lathering. When you are finished put the brush into the empty inner bowl until your next pass. The hot water in the outer bowl keeps the brush and lather warm.

Top Bottom