What's new

Post your pictures - Ivory scaled razors

errr, these were not the razors I was looking for, but I'll post them anyways.
Two Ivory scaled, covered tang Schulze razors
one
proxy.php

and two
proxy.php

Here are mine. All Heljestrands and some are factory and some I did myself.

MK No.134
proxy.php

proxy.php

No.13
proxy.php

proxy.php

BK No.42
proxy.php

MK No.32 1st of pair
proxy.php

proxy.php

MK No.32 2nd of pair
proxy.php

proxy.php

Mk No.31
proxy.php

proxy.php

These aren't mine,,, yet. A friend dropped them off with a bunch of pens he gave me with what I think is the intention of whetting my appetite for them. They weren't cleaned up in this shot but I think he kinda' knew if he left them on my desk with a pile of other stuff it was only a matter of time that I'd clean them up and refresh the box. Which I did just as he reappeared in my office today and I gave them back to him. Not 5 minutes later he called and said,,, "Wanna buy them?"
Any ideas on a fair price between friends?

Attachments

• $IMG_9825.JPG
    $IMG_9825.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 453
  • $IMG_9829.JPG
    $IMG_9829.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 451
Would one of you pleas call me an IDIOT. Why? Because I am one, that's why. Got a 7 day box , which I knew wasn't matched but I wanted the razors anyway, described to me as 5 with white plastic handles and two in black with the names of the razors. Fine,, I'll take them sight unseen. Price was right.
Got them a little over a week ago, snapped a couple of picks for reference, posted them,put 'em back in the box and stashed them in the "get around to cleaning " section of the straight drawer. After looking over this post, and posting my friends ( soon to be mine ) razors , the set popped into my head. Out to the shop, magnifiers on,( fine saw marks inside the scales) out comes a hot pin,,, Jeeez you IDIOT,, these are the real deal. Not a crack in sight, blades are great, just the Kropp with a bit of wear.
The two at the top actually match and were probably the originals to the box,,,Jos. Rodgers, the next two are (L) a Kropp and a R.H.& Son Ltd. Germany, and the bottom one is a Mappin & Webb.
The two ( with real black plastic scales ) are The "Fisher" for Quality and a Heartring H Eicker & Son, Germany.
See,, told you I was an idiot.

Attachments

• $IMG_9905.JPG
    $IMG_9905.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 454
  • $IMG_9900.JPG
    $IMG_9900.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 452
  • $IMG_9901.JPG
    $IMG_9901.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 448
You don't have to poke them with a hot needle if you see lines that intersect and disappear at certain angles. I do understand some Ivory is just as plain as white plastic but if the other signs are there they over rule the pin poke.Congrats on some fine razors. If the ones in black are a match as far as blades I would scale them in Ivory as well but thats just me. Again Congrats on some very nice razors.

Thanks life2short1971. Yes, I saw the signs,, but I think my disbelief drove me be sure with the pin. I should have stuck myself instead!
This isn't a matched set which I knew when I bought it. But if I buy the two Ivories ( previously posted ) from my friend, even though they have a box,, I'd store them in here with the others to at least see 7 in a row until I pick up more to put everyone back in their proper homes. Don't ask me why. I don't even know what I'm doing at times. I'm the embodiment of your tag line.

Is there a method to tell on a photograph, if a vintage razor has ivory scales? There are many razors with white plastic scales around that look quite like the real thing. On the bay for instance and since ivory is prohibited by the e-bay policy they are not advertised as such. Prize may be a hint. But there are many pricey Razors (Bökers, TI ...) with white plastic(?) scales around.

Last edited:
The fastest way to identify them at first glance is the pins are almost always without collars or washers from almost every maker.That is what I look for first. The next thing I look for shreger lines lines. These are normally visible mainly or better from one direction and the same line will be almost or invisible from another. They also cross over each other at the ends and edges of the scales at between 90 and and 115º. Sometimes depending on the cut these lines are not present at all to the naked eye. Bone looks a lot like ivory but has little pinholes or divots in it from the structure of bone.( I can't remember the term) Also ivory when cut very thinly(or at all)with a knife does not curl but chips or flakes away and plastic and cellulose curl.
This is just the tip of the iceberg in ivory identification and not meant to be an all inclusive response.

Is there a method to tell on a photograph, if a vintage razor has ivory scales? There are many razors with white plastic scales around that look quite like the real thing. On the bay for instance and since ivory is prohibited by the e-bay policy they are not advertised as such. Prize may be a hint. But there are many pricey Razors (Bökers, TI ...) with white plastic(?) scales around.
If you are looking at a specific razor your welcome to send me a pm and I will try to help you verify if it is ivory as best I can.

Top Bottom