What's new

Witch Hazel ... Alcohol or No Alcohol???

Just on eBay and about to splash out on a big bottle of Thayers Witch Hazel ... but before I do I wanted to know from you fine fellas ... alcohol or not???

i got trigger happy and bought the one that said "aftershave" on it. the others are labelled as astringents or toners. i suspect the astringent will do the same thing but be stronger and the toner be a weaker formula. would i be correct in my assumptions?

i got trigger happy and bought the one that said "aftershave" on it. the others are labelled as astringents or toners. i suspect the astringent will do the same thing but be stronger and the toner be a weaker formula. would i be correct in my assumptions?

You did good and chose the best one IMO. It has the highest concentration of alcohol in the entire Thayers line, followed by the Medicated Superhazel. You can use it standalone, or right after the alum block (if you use one), and before the aftershave of your choice. It's a nice light aloe type of smell that fades quickly and doesn't interfere with your EdC/EdT of choice.

Wow, I don't even know what to say about that other thread, there's just so much misinformation there. "Witch Hazel" is indeed a term that the FDA uses to describe a specific preparation of witch hazel distillate and alcohol. It's semantics. We're shaving, so we don't care about the FDA's term for a specific standard preparation. If you have a witch hazel preparation with more or less than 14% alcohol, you simply have a witch hazel preparation with more or less alcohol, no more, no less. If you want the benefits of alcohol, you can use it with an alcohol-based aftershave, or use a witch hazel preparation with alcohol added.

I have plenty of alcohol-based aftershaves, so I chose the unscented alcohol-free Thayer's with aloe. It's great stuff, even though it can't be sold as Witch Hazel, USP.

I use Dickenson's from the local grocery store. 14% alcohol and 86% WH extract (probably a lot more H2O than extract). I figure the balms have all the goodies for moisturizing so I'm not worried about the alcohol and really can't feel it anyway. Feels good on my face after rinsing off.

I only use Proraso AS which has WH, alantoin and alcohol in it. Even with my sensitive skin this stuff works the best and the menthol in it gives a great cooling kick on a warmer day.

depends on what you want to use it for. if its for an astringent or antiseptic purpose, you want the alcohol and its cheaper to go with T.N. Dickinsons or generic. If its for toner and/or fragrance or even for use as an AS, by all means go with the Thayers (alcohol free) with a scent you like

Bought witch hazel yesterday from a nutrition store here in Canada. It seems to be a in house brand or something but it is diluted and alcohol free. Will it work as a antiseptic?

Bought witch hazel yesterday from a nutrition store here in Canada. It seems to be a in house brand or something but it is diluted and alcohol free. Will it work as a antiseptic?

according to that link at the top, no ... it will work as an astringent though which is the real reason you probably bought it anyway

Top Bottom