What's new

First Straight Razor & Strop arrives Monday!

I got into DE shaving 2 months ago and have been interested in Straight Razors as well. I already know the basics of wet shaving and have 2 quality brushes and several quality soaps. I have read a little on how to strop the razor but some things are not perfectly clear to me. I have several questions and hope I can get them answered before it gets here on Monday. Here is what I ordered and my questions:

Dovo "Astrale" Ebony 5/8 (half-hollow)
Illinois Razor Strop #827
Fromm Strop Dressing

1) The razor was ordered from WCS and it is pre-sharpened - Do I need to strop it before first use? If so do I strop it on the Canvas than leather or just the leather?

2) When stropping am I downward pressure on the razor?

3) The diagrams I have seen show the razor is relatively flat against the strop - wont this eventually wear the spine?

4) How many stropping passes for the canvas and how many for the leather? Also is this done both before and after the shave?

5) Is 30 - 10 Degrees the correct angle just like DE Shaving?

6) Can I strop on a pair of jeans when done to dry the blade (Seen this done quite a few times on youtube)?

7) Is going to be a YMMV question - Is it better to rinse the blade or to use a sponge and wipe it? If I use a sponge what are the chances it will dull the blade quicker.

i got into de shaving 2 months ago and have been interested in straight razors as well. I already know the basics of wet shaving and have 2 quality brushes and several quality soaps. I have read a little on how to strop the razor but some things are not perfectly clear to me. I have several questions and hope i can get them answered before it gets here on monday. Here is what i ordered and my questions:

Dovo "astrale" ebony 5/8 (half-hollow)
illinois razor strop #827
fromm strop dressing

1) the razor was ordered from wcs and it is pre-sharpened - do i need to strop it before first use? If so do i strop it on the canvas than leather or just the leather?

If it was honed professionally, you shouldn't have to. If a factory edge it will need honing.

2) when stropping am i downward pressure on the razor?

No pressure.

3) the diagrams i have seen show the razor is relatively flat against the strop - wont this eventually wear the spine?

No.

4) how many stropping passes for the canvas and how many for the leather? Also is this done both before and after the shave?

I do 30/50 linen/leather

5) is 30 - 10 degrees the correct angle just like de shaving?

Start with the razor almost flat to the skin. You can increase the angle a little until you hear what is like scraping toast sound.

6) can i strop on a pair of jeans when done to dry the blade (seen this done quite a few times on youtube)?

Use the linen on your strop after wiping the blade dry.

7) is going to be a ymmv question - is it better to rinse the blade or to use a sponge and wipe it? If i use a sponge what are the chances it will dull the blade quicker.

ymmv

Last edited:
Also; when stropping keep the razor flat, do not, I repeat, do not raise the spine. Take your time and make sure to do it correct.

I should have known to ask you all of these in a message. Thanks again Wid your help is as always appreciated.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Also don't apply any strop dressing until you can determine if it really needs it or not. Over oiling a strop will lead to much hair pulling and lamenting ;)

I read awhile ago not to use anything on the strop and let it break in on its own. I can't remember if it was a blog or thread post, but any way that's what I've done and it's coming along beautifully now. I rub it with the palm of my hand every morning until warm then strop, the natural oils from the skin have given me a nice draw in 3-4 weeks of doing this.

The #827 does not need any strop dressing, just rub it with the palm of your hand daily.
As for pressure when stroppping, use enough to keep the blade flat agaist the leather and linen, but no more.

Rick covered your questions nicely.

6) Can I strop on a pair of jeans when done to dry the blade (Seen this done quite a few times on youtube)?

7) Is going to be a YMMV question - Is it better to rinse the blade or to use a sponge and wipe it? If I use a sponge what are the chances it will dull the blade quicker.

6) just use the strop you have..
7) i think a problem with rinsing for certain people is that they accidentally hit the edge on the faucet spout.. and the sponge will not really affect the blade. the sponge was great to learn with, but i wipe the blade with my finger sometimes or with the spine closest to the faucet wash the blade.

good luck...

6) just use the strop you have..
7) i think a problem with rinsing for certain people is that they accidentally hit the edge on the faucet spout.. and the sponge will not really affect the blade. the sponge was great to learn with, but i wipe the blade with my finger sometimes or with the spine closest to the faucet wash the blade.

good luck...

I could see myself accidentally hitting the bottom of the sink when I use a sponge sitting in the sink, I may try just setting it on something like a plate next to the sink. I may be getting weird looks from the wife later when I'm stropping a butter knife on a ribbon in the bathroom and then wiping it on a kitchen sponge... So what is the stropping rule for my 2nd and following shaves? Do I strop before and after use? Same ratio after as before 30/50?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
There is no set number of laps, though I have settled on 30ish linen and 40ish on leather prior to shaving, and 5/5 after shaving just to ensure there is no gunk on the bevel. The problem when first beginning is, to do 80-100 laps without destroying the edge will take a fair amount of time, so just concentrate on getting the technique down for now, and doing as many on each as time and patience allows. I think I did 20/20 at first, which took a few minutes. Now 30/40 takes maybe a minute.

:straight: It has arrived! Now with Pictures! So the sides pictured on the strop are what I use correct? I do not use the inside layer for either one? The strop is pretty dry and will receive some hand love before use. The razor looks very nice and I am glad the honer did not wash the blade after honing - this let me know for sure it was honed. I swear I cleaned the fingerprints off the table...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Nice looking gear. I'm a bit curious as to why the honer didn't clean the blade after he was done. I can't imagine putting a blade with slurry on my strop.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I can't imagine they did not clean the blade. Perhaps it is a light coat of oil?
Congratulations. I have that exact Strop and Razor. As a matter of fact, I used it this morning.

I strop on the linen side 10 times, then leather 60 times before the shave, then 20/40 after.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I read awhile ago not to use anything on the strop and let it break in on its own. I can't remember if it was a blog or thread post, but any way that's what I've done and it's coming along beautifully now. I rub it with the palm of my hand every morning until warm then strop, the natural oils from the skin have given me a nice draw in 3-4 weeks of doing this.

Every strop will be a little different. I have Tony Miller horsehide and "notovan" strops that needed no break in period whatsoever. Another TM latigo is a year old and isn't the least bit broken in.

Just keep rubbing it and keep using it.

Also don't apply any strop dressing until you can determine if it really needs it or not. Over oiling a strop will lead to much hair pulling and lamenting ;)

I recently learned this by oiling a brand new strop right away. Now it seems like I'm wiping it off daily until it settles down.

Lovely razor n strop!..definitely worth passing down to family if you can...the razor at least

I have to hide it from my 3 year-old because it has Saturn, the moonand stars on it. He will leave it alone as long as he doesn't see them on the blade. He is part of the reason I got this particular razor instead of the Dovo Best Quality. So one day it will be his.

Top Bottom