What's new

sharpening pocket knives

Thanks for the replies everyone. Think I'm going to start with the Spyderco and see where that takes me.

Ben

I've just gone back to a 30 x 10 x 8 cm norton combo stone. Whilst I like the idea of the sharpening systems I believe the practice of using a bench stone gives you much greater flexibility and much more pride in the job. Unless you are trying for multiple bevels, a mirror polished edge or the likes you can get an easy to use, cheap setup that should last you.

I've also found the larger stone a little easier across the range of knives from a 30cm kitchen, through a 15cm utility and all of my pocket knives.

Thanks for reminding me.
My Cold Steel Recon sees daily use and it's almost a year old. I've been meaning to sharpen it for a few months now.
Just finished.... typical Cold Steel, I could shave with it if I had to.

I use the Lansky system linked above
$51YqVBQJvgL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

They do sell a serrated stone that is specifically cut for the Cold Steel serrations. It's the only way to properly sharpen these knives, as the serrations are too fine and too deep for normal triangular stones.

Well it seems to me that new knives have their bevels too acute.
So.... that means resetting the bevel.
Unlike a straight razor which as a spine that acts as a guide for
a consistent angle, a knife doesn't
One can look up "knife sharpening guides" on the internet.
I just use the position of my fingers as reference points, but that
would never work if I wanted to shave my face with it.
Consistency is of prime importance.
I finish on a hard Arkansas stone that I've had 28 years
that's 8" long 2" wide. Then give it a quick stropping on
my leather strop.
Even though I'm not really trying for a razor edge, I am able
to shave my arm hair.

AccuSharp knife and tool sharpener available at hardware and restaurant supply stores; works well on serrated edges also.

What I meant to have said in regard to the edge on a new knife, is that the bevels are too narrow, and should be much wider

Well it seems to me that new knives have their bevels too acute.
So.... that means resetting the bevel.
Unlike a straight razor which as a spine that acts as a guide for
a consistent angle, a knife doesn't
One can look up "knife sharpening guides" on the internet.
I just use the position of my fingers as reference points, but that
would never work if I wanted to shave my face with it.
Consistency is of prime importance.
I finish on a hard Arkansas stone that I've had 28 years
that's 8" long 2" wide. Then give it a quick stropping on
my leather strop.
Even though I'm not really trying for a razor edge, I am able
to shave my arm hair.

Tim,
Do you have any opinion on the additional sticks (coarse, extra fine) for the Sharpmaker?

Do you feel the standard Med/Fine stones are sufficient?

I have the extra fine stones. I don't think they are necessary by any means. I think with some steels, especially some of these prone to chipping like S30v taking it too sharp can be a detriment.

I have recently discovered that my pocket and kitchen knives take a wicked edge when stropped about 50-100 strokes each way with a bit of pressure on CrOx linen. Similar to razors-you just have to be a lot more agressive.
Indeed, stropping is beneficial for all edged tools.

While I have been using a combination of flat stones my entire life there is a learning curve that can frustrate many. Good to learn but there are other ways. I will vouch for the Spyderco Sharpmaker also. It's a simple, effective system that yields great results. Comes with medium and fine stones plus an instructional DVD. You can add on diamond and ultra fine stones as well. I also sharpen all the kitchen knives, tools, fish hooks and scissors with it.

proxy.php
+1!
Do note the diamond rod doesn't seem to add much since it isn't coarse enough to really re-profile a blade, however the ultra fine get's raving reviews and really polishes your knife for the finishing touch.

Last edited:
I've been thinking of picking up a Gerber pocket sharpener to keep on my key chain, I'm not bothered about ultra ninja sharp, just something that'll do the job well and ideally not be too expensive

There are a lot of fancy options out there (that Im sure work great, not knocking them). I still use an old two sided stone. One side rougher than the other.

I use a kit from Smiths.
http://www.amazon.com/Smiths-DFPK-D...OTKA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319505244&sr=8-1
You can put what kind of edge you want on your knife.
Then about once a week I will just touch my knife up with a kitchen steel. That way it stays sharpe.
I have had my Smiths Kit for about 20 years. They are for life.
If you don't want to take the time to learn to use flat stones, Smith is easy idiot proof and fast. And cheaper than that Spidie thing.............JR

If you don't want to take the time to learn to use flat stones, Smith is easy idiot proof and fast. And cheaper than that Spidie thing.............JR

I do have some Buck flat stones that I have had for about 35 years. But most of the time I am sharpening someone else's knife so fast is easier.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Question for you guys, I have a Lansky system, and need to sharpen my CKRT M16 the one thing I am unsure of is how to do it since it has somewhat of an asymmetrical edge on it. Any tips?

Do your best to match the angle, or go just a hair steeper if you can't match it.

If in doubt and you can't see how it lays with a loupe, apply a line from a felt tip marker to the bevel so you can see where the stone is cutting.

I use a hard Arkansas stone (translucent). The process is really not different than honing a straight razor.
Not totally different, but the honing angle is completely different.

In many ways, Straights are easier to hone because the spine sets the angle for you. The main way people screw up is by using too much pressure, and "overhoning".
I lost count of the number of pocket knives I "ruined" by improper sharpening... wrong angle, inconsistent angle (that was the main thing), etc...

Since purchasing the Lansky system, sharpening pocket knives has become a pleasure and I regularly bring blades home to sharpen for guys I work with.

Top Bottom