Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

Thread: sharpening pocket knives

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    1,559
    Images
    1

    Default sharpening pocket knives

    I just got a new pocket knife and I've never sharpened anything in my life. Can anyone recommend something that works well and would be a good introduction to knife sharpening? Seems like a handy skill to have.

    Ben

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East Central Illinois
    Posts
    377

    Default

    I guarantee that there will be a lot of difference of opinion on this subject. I can sharpen convex style with a strop, I can use my Arkansas stones, but normally I reach for my Lansky ceramic sharpening tool.

    http://lansky.com/index.php/products...ife-sharpener/
    Life is too short, love your family.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    1,559
    Images
    1
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Looks cool. It would be handy to be able to do kitchen knives also...

  4. #4

    Default

    I use an old stone I've had for years then finish up on a ceramic tube.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New Braunfels, TX
    Posts
    200
    Images
    16

    Default

    If you don't use something that will maintain the angle the blade meets the stone, you will in all likelihood round the edge, so you need something like the Lansky, crock stick, etc. Spyderco has a set of crock sticks that are triaingular shaped, and I've heard good things about them, fairly cheap too.

    Ron
    "If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did not sometimes taste adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome". Anne Bradstreet, American Poet (1612-1672)

  6. #6

    Default

    I've always heard rounding the edge mess. Samauri swords have a rounded edge and are some of the sharpest items in the world.

    The point of keeping the angle is to help with the sharpness and how long it stays. Too much of an angle and it can dull faster, not enough and it won't seem as sharp. On some harder metals you can increase the angle and it will help it cut better. Softer metals you can decrease the angle a bit to help it stay sharper longer.


    Btw on my skinning knife I round the edge on purpose. The only cut animal flesh, helps roll the meat out of the way. On wood working tools I keep a straight angle and it helps the wood to roll and chip off. I have never used an angle gauge on anything my whole life. The knife in my pocket regularly strips cables at work and even not sharpened in 2 weeks its rounded edge still shaves my arm hair.

    DISCLAIMERN for some the angle gauge might be a good idea to keep from ruining a high dollar knife.

  7. #7

    Default

    The Spyderco device is easy to use and keeps a pocket knife plenty sharp for us non-perfectionists.
    __________________________________
    I love the smell of Proraso in the morning!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,067
    Images
    10

    Default

    I'll throw in another vote for the Spyderco Sharpmaker. I use it for everything from kitchen shears to pocket knives and it is always, quick, effective, and easy to use.
    -Luke

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Naples, Florida
    Posts
    36

    Default

    I'm with jazzman & stobes21, The Spyderco system takes the worries out of the sharpening angle as the angle is built right into the system. I Have been using it for close to 25 years on many diff. items and it's bulletproof. My system came with a book that shows how to sharpen everything from fishhooks to shears and pretty much everything else.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Penna.
    Posts
    142

    Default

    I use a kit from Smiths.
    http://www.amazon.com/Smiths-DFPK-Di...9505244&sr=8-1
    You can put what kind of edge you want on your knife.
    Then about once a week I will just touch my knife up with a kitchen steel. That way it stays sharpe.
    I have had my Smiths Kit for about 20 years. They are for life.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South Jersey, USA
    Posts
    386

    Default

    My grandfather uses, and taught me to use regular old files...may not be the proper way, but files are a bit more common, and get the job done.
    Andy

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The Great Midwest
    Posts
    1,004

    Default

    While I have been using a combination of flat stones my entire life there is a learning curve that can frustrate many. Good to learn but there are other ways. I will vouch for the Spyderco Sharpmaker also. It's a simple, effective system that yields great results. Comes with medium and fine stones plus an instructional DVD. You can add on diamond and ultra fine stones as well. I also sharpen all the kitchen knives, tools, fish hooks and scissors with it.

    USMC RETIRED
    TOFLAC-U Because bowls are for porridge
    BOTOC who needs training wheels!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mid-Atlantic USA
    Posts
    593

    Default

    No one right way to do it. I've used flat stones but, as noted, it's a skill.

    Another option, I use a different Lansky than the one mentioned. It's more like the Smith's, above. It comes in a ceramic version, as well. Like others, it also holds the blade at a constant angle and lets you select the angle of the bevel for the purpose of the knife—steep angle for rougher work, shallow angle for fine stuff.
    - Jim . . . "None of us is as smart as all of us" - Blanchard

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Connecticut via Essex, MA
    Posts
    3,669

    Default

    I've been thinking about getting a Worksharp (here). It looks great as far as versatility and ease of use, but I don't really want to be bothered with having to order replacement belts and I don't want to be required to have electricity to use it.

    Now I'm thinking the Spyderco is the way to go.
    Is this your homework, Larry?

  15. Default

    I've used the Spyderco, the Lansky and now just use a set of Norton waterstones, same ones everyone uses to hone straight razors. Yes, there's some skill involved, and there is a learning curve, but nothing else will give the superior results of freehand sharpening on a stone.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Penna.
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    I've used the Spyderco, the Lansky and now just use a set of Norton waterstones, same ones everyone uses to hone straight razors. Yes, there's some skill involved, and there is a learning curve, but nothing else will give the superior results of freehand sharpening on a stone.
    I agree with using a good stone to sharpen a knife....slight learning curve.
    For me I always carry a sharpe knife. A lot of times, I get asked by people if I would sharpen their knives. Most are so bad it is easier to use the smith to get the blade sharpened right.
    Whenever any one borrows my knife I tell them be careful it's sharpe.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Posts
    713

    Default

    Second the Sharpmaker. Get the Ultra fine Sticks too. You can get a scary edge with a little practice. There are lots of videos on YOUTUBE to help you refine your technique.

    Quote Originally Posted by retiredguns View Post
    While I have been using a combination of flat stones my entire life there is a learning curve that can frustrate many. Good to learn but there are other ways. I will vouch for the Spyderco Sharpmaker also. It's a simple, effective system that yields great results. Comes with medium and fine stones plus an instructional DVD. You can add on diamond and ultra fine stones as well. I also sharpen all the kitchen knives, tools, fish hooks and scissors with it.


  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New Braunfels, TX
    Posts
    200
    Images
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neo71665 View Post
    I've always heard rounding the edge mess. Samauri swords have a rounded edge and are some of the sharpest items in the world.

    The point of keeping the angle is to help with the sharpness and how long it stays. Too much of an angle and it can dull faster, not enough and it won't seem as sharp. On some harder metals you can increase the angle and it will help it cut better. Softer metals you can decrease the angle a bit to help it stay sharper longer.


    Btw on my skinning knife I round the edge on purpose. The only cut animal flesh, helps roll the meat out of the way. On wood working tools I keep a straight angle and it helps the wood to roll and chip off. I have never used an angle gauge on anything my whole life. The knife in my pocket regularly strips cables at work and even not sharpened in 2 weeks its rounded edge still shaves my arm hair.

    DISCLAIMERN for some the angle gauge might be a good idea to keep from ruining a high dollar knife.
    Absolutely correct, a convex edge is very appropriate for meat cutting, but there is a learning curve with stones. As you said, you've been doing it all your life, but I assumed the OP had not and thought the Spyderco set would be good for someone new to sharpening.

    Ron
    "If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did not sometimes taste adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome". Anne Bradstreet, American Poet (1612-1672)

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    204

    Default

    I like my Norton Sharpening Stones. I got the 220/1000 and 4000/8000 combo stones. They work great on my str8 too.

    :)

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    145

    Default

    I like oil stones for their versatility and long life. but any sharpener will work after a fashion. if you have no experience sharpening and it's just a pocket knife get one of the many sharpeners that have two small crossed ceramic rods in a plastic handle. just run the blade is the notch on the end of the handle several times and the knife is sharper. not perfect but fool proof.

Similar Threads

  1. Sharpening stones for pocket and hunting knives
    By millertime150 in forum Hones/Honing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-17-2011, 07:48 PM
  2. Sharpening Pocket Knives
    By FiXXXer in forum The Speakeasy
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-26-2010, 06:54 PM
  3. Sharpening damaged knives.
    By Woody in forum The Mess Hall
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-10-2010, 06:01 AM
  4. How do you go about sharpening your pocket knives?
    By sapito318 in forum The Barber Shop
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-22-2009, 09:33 AM
  5. sharpening pocket knives
    By soulshine in forum The Speakeasy
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-15-2007, 08:33 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
By accessing Badger & Blade, you agree to abide by the Terms of Usage. You can find our Privacy Policy here.
Once submitted, any posts, images, or content become the property of Badger & Blade.
Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.