What's new

New member checking in

Hi all,

Well, I've never actually ever wet shaved before, but I guess that's going to change real soon. :) Here's a brief outline of my path to wet shaving and this website:

First-- Eleven years ago, I had a friend in college who tried to convince me to wet shave, but when he started describing the shaving brush and the DE razor techniques, it just seemed old-fashioned and a bit silly to me (being young and ignorant at the time).

Second-- I'm a member of bladeforums and edcforums. Well, it was a random post in bladeforums this week that reminded me of my friend from college--it was a member talking about how much he loved wet shaving. It got me thinking about how much I hate shaving now and how much I absolutely detest my expensive Mach 3 cartridges and my Gillette shaving gel from a can (the smell, the feel on my skin, everything)... so why in blazes was I even using products I hate so much? I guess it's because I wasn't really aware that there were viable alternative besides electric razors.

Third-- After reading that post on bladeforums earlier this week, I started seriously researching wet shaving: watching the YouTube videos, reading product reviews, and spending time lurking here as a guest. Today, I'm taking the plunge. I'm joining this forum as a member and already got a shopping list.

I'm not rich, but I budget for extraneous expenses like this, so money is not an object (within reason). I wanted to go for good stuff right off the bat; I don't like repurchasing stuff if I already know I'm just going to upgrade at some point. Comments on my shopping list highly welcome. I would like to pull the trigger soon so I can start.

Shopping list:

Merkur Futur, Satin Finish
Feather Razor Blades
Vulfix 2234 Brush
Taylor of Old Bond Street Lavender Shaving Cream
Thayer Witch Hazel Astringent With Aloe
Spilo My Nik Is Sealed Styptic Pen
Super Safety Razors Large Stainless Steel Shaving Soap Bowl
Edwin Jagger Chrome Razor and Shaving Brush Stand

Thank you,

Mag

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Welcome to B&B, Mag! :001_smile I would consider getting a sample pack of DE blades to help you decide which ones you prefer and work better for your face. Also, why not adding a shave stick to that list? Most of them are terrific soaps that perform very well, are inexpensive and easy to use. :wink2:

Welcome to B&B, Mag! :001_smile I would consider getting a sample pack of DE blades to help you decide which ones you prefer and work better for your face. Also, why not adding a shave stick to that list? Most of them are terrific soaps that perform very well, are inexpensive and easy to use. :wink2:

+1

Welcome to B&B, Mag!

Welcome mag,

Keep us posted on what you get and the first shave,

Only things that could be added are Proraso pre shave cream (I apply 2 mins before lathering for first pass andvthen b/w passes and sometimes use as a post shave after the WH) and a really good balm. I've got some EJ but used a sample of Jack Black gel I got recently that really did the trick.

Oh, and you WILL need a good alum block; check out the bloc osma.

Apart from that happy shaving!

Wow... what a great response! Awesome community here. Thanks to all for the suggestions and warm welcomes, makes me feel great to be here. I will add those suggestions to my shopping list and make the purchase already so I can get started. I've already got a few nice things in the cabinet for pre and post shave: American Crew Essential Shaving Oil and some Nivea Sensitive Skin Aftershave Balm. I'll definitely add a DE Razor sampler pack and a shave stick to my order.

-Mag

Way to go!! Its a shame to see the general population falling for the modern gillette advertisments and thinking they are getting the best shave out there. A real shame indeed!

Glad to hear you finally see the light (as I also did)

Top Bottom