What's new

Chicago Wet Shavers Get Together and Expo 11/10/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Very much fun. Especially the free wine. Which I had too much of. :001_tt2: Luckily I was smart enough to stay away from the scotch table after just one, or it could have been ugly!

Thanks, Anthony, and I am grateful, so don't take this as a gripe, but as a suggestion. If you do this again, have some cheap name tags and a couple pens on your registration table. I only found a couple B&B members and it would have been sooo much easier if we had our name and our B&B handle under it. Clutch Cargo lives in Naperville and I'm in Lisle! I wanted to say hi to Price! Of course we recognized Mantic and Geo, but that's about it. Minor suggestion, easily solved if you think this could be successful as an annual event. It might even grow! This was such a huge success, if you do it again, I bet you would get even more out of town draw!

Anyway, big shout out to bkfist, you're girlfriend is a really good sport, listening to all my wine-induced drivel. Good meeting you folks. Mantic, I hope you got some of those Frango mint for your wife! If you did not have time, PM me your address and I'll send you a box, I always get some Frangos as gifts around the holidays.

Many thanks to all the sponsors!

Very much fun. Especially the free wine. Which I had too much of. :001_tt2: Luckily I was smart enough to stay away from the scotch table after just one, or it could have been ugly!

Thanks, Anthony, and I am grateful, so don't take this as a gripe, but as a suggestion. If you do this again, have some cheap name tags and a couple pens on your registration table. I only found a couple B&B members and it would have been sooo much easier if we had our name and our B&B handle under it. Clutch Cargo lives in Naperville and I'm in Lisle! I wanted to say hi to Price! Of course we recognized Mantic and Geo, but that's about it. Minor suggestion, easily solved if you think this could be successful as an annual event. It might even grow! This was such a huge success, if you do it again, I bet you would get even more out of town draw!

Anyway, big shout out to bkfist, you're girlfriend is a really good sport, listening to all my wine-induced drivel. Good meeting you folks. Mantic, I hope you got some of those Frango mint for your wife! If you did not have time, PM me your address and I'll send you a box, I always get some Frangos as gifts around the holidays.

I agree John! I was looking for you and other B&B'ers, but met a barber and a newbie who I sent to the forums for more information. I was also able to talk to Lynn Abrams for tips on using my straights.

Here are some of the photos I took at the "Great Shave Event" sponsored by Merz Apothecary at the Palmer House Hotel in downtown Chicago on 11/10/11.

Most everyone will recognize GeoFatBoy from his YouTube videos. The other photos show a small part of the vendor/sales area, and one photo looking down from the mezzanine where the event was held into the incredible lobby of this 140 year old hotel.

Attachments

• $GeoFatBoy1.jpg
    $GeoFatBoy1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 241
  • $GeoFatBoy2.jpg
    $GeoFatBoy2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 242
  • $MerzEvent1.jpg
    $MerzEvent1.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 246
  • $MerzEvent2.jpg
    $MerzEvent2.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 245
  • $MerzEvent3.jpg
    $MerzEvent3.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 246

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
We should post these comments and photos in General. We had to publicize it here, but no reason not to share generally after the event.

Go ahead!

I agree with the name tags. There were a lot of people I talked to at the gathering who were there as Merz customers, which was great being able to answer some questions from a few people were interested in, but not currently "into" wet shaving.

My girlfriend, Carrie, you speak of, managed to talk your wine server into getting her brother (who "has everything already") a EJ DE89 for Christmas... lol
I guess, from her report, it's pretty easy to get Mantic to blush if you heap enough praise on him for his Youtube Videos... LOL

It was most definitely a well run event by Merz, the vendors, and the entire staff of the Palmer House Hotel!!!

Everyone said it already and better than I ever could. I just wanted to add a thank you to the Badger and Blade memebers who came out in support and made this such a great social event!

Attachments

• $Copy of IMG_4062.JPG
    $Copy of IMG_4062.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 239
  • $Copy of IMG_4061.JPG
    $Copy of IMG_4061.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 238
  • $Copy of IMG_4060.jpg
    $Copy of IMG_4060.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 239
  • $1.jpg
    $1.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 238
  • $Copy of IMG_4063.JPG
    $Copy of IMG_4063.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
Additional photos:

Attachments

• $IMG_4075.jpg
    $IMG_4075.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 235
  • $IMG_4073.jpg
    $IMG_4073.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 238
  • $IMG_4070.jpg
    $IMG_4070.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 236
  • $IMG_4068.jpg
    $IMG_4068.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 236
  • $IMG_4074.jpg
    $IMG_4074.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 236

Yes, what a fantastic event. Congratulations on a job very well done to all the Merz folks. Sorry I missed you there John (and the three or four others I was hoping to meet). The wife got stuck at work, so we hit the road later than we had planned, and didn't end up making it down there until about 6:30. Funny thing is, I had thought about printing up a little tag with The Dude on it just in case, but of course I never got around to it. Best laid plans and all that...

Anyway, very well Anthony, as well as all the vendors and the speakers. Great time, great event. We both had fun (and the wife picked up a couple carefully pointed out Christmas gifts for me, as well.:wink2:)

Last edited:
yeah the name tag thing would of been a great idea i went and my friend who was supposed to meet me up did not show until way later when i was ready to leave so talked to a few people but for the most part felt a little out of place im kind of anti social until i get to know people. but all in all great time did talk to some nice guys and bought my simpson brush.

yeah the name tag thing would of been a great idea i went and my friend who was supposed to meet me up did not show until way later when i was ready to leave so talked to a few people but for the most part felt a little out of place im kind of anti social until i get to know people. but all in all great time did talk to some nice guys and bought my simpson brush.

The brush selection was really nice ..being able to are al of those brushes all together and feel them :) plus the razors.

I got my bottle of Captains choice aftershave and a bottle of EJ aftershave... then placed a $90 order with Merz last night, because they didn't have the Muhle sea buckthorn in the wooden bowl at the event. (I already have the EJ soap, love it, and wanted the wood bowl)

Damn, I'm so sorry that ended up missing this because of an emergency business trip. Congrats to all who made this happen. Hopefully, I'll make v2.0.

Just looking at the pictures really makes me realize I would have been a bit out of place. It would have looked like a member brought there son with.

Just looking at the pictures really makes me realize I would have been a bit out of place. It would have looked like a member brought there son with.

This is one of the coolest hotels in the city with a heritage beginning just after what we call The Fire (no explaining necessary for Chicago area residents). If you have a pair of khaki’s and a shirt with buttons on it, you’re in. Believe me, nobody was monitoring the dress code although most were dressed for the occasion. Instead it was all about fellowship with more back slapping than you can imagine. A great, great time. The whole thing came off so well because of Erin Patrick Events - he coordinated ALL of it. A real treat with wandering waiters offering up free finger sandwiches, drinks and more. Merz really did it right.

Last edited:
It looks like it was a good time. How much does a room run for on a regular night at the hotel? We stayed in Chicago for a week at a crappy holiday inn (literally looked bad compared to most holiday inns it was the one on W Harrison). Despite how bad the hotel looked it was cheaper than most of the hotels we had called around to, yet it still managed to be around $350 / night.

This diverges from the OP but a room with king bed runs $250.00 and this is one of the fanciest places in town. Parking will run you more and Chicago is famous for multiple taxes so out of pocket will add up to more.

Last edited:
Actually they had a special just for this event. Only $159, which was a tremendous bargain IMO. We stayed the night, and were very impressed with the place. A+ all the way.

It was a fantastic event and I hope it will be done again! It was great to put faces to names (I just wish I could remember them all). Merz's event table, as well as their regular shop at the hotel, was like a wetshaving toy store. :001_tt1:

While attending the Great Shave Event in Chicago at the Palmer House Hotel, my friend Todd lost his Semogue Silvertip, 2010 Ltd. Edition. Unfortunately, this line of Semogues is no longer made, and is said to perform unlike any other brush Todd has used. To date, the brush has not been recovered by the Palmer House Lost & Found. As for the brush, it is in an opaque plastic brush tube (made by Muhle). The brush itself is silvertip, handle is a mix of white and clear acrylic, and is octagonal in shape. On the bottom it says Semogue 2010, with a "00" -- the latter signifying that this was the prototype of this edition. If you have been fortunate enough to have found this, please let me know so I make arrangements to get it back to Todd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom