What's new

Go Big BLEW IT!

Appalachian State stuns Michigan 34-32 in Ann Arbor. Further proof that any team can beat any other team on any given day. This continually reinforces the lack of fairness in the BCS, knowing that schools like Boise State and Appalachian state won't be able to play for a national championship due to a lack of a playoff system. A penny for your thoughts...

A playoff system would be great. Every other NCAA team has a playoff system, so why should football be any different. Just like the NFL, the best record might not be the one with the championship. Take the top 24 or even 16 teams and have a playoff.

I've been a lifelong Michigan fan. Those guys sure have a propensity for unexpected losses. They can be highly ranked, 'ready for the NFL', go play some 'lesser' team, and have their butt handed to them. :cryin: It's been that way for a couple of generations now. :crying:

Anyway, a hearty congratulations to Appalachian State for a spirited and inspired game, and a victory over Michigan. :w00t:

-- John Gehman

I hate to say it, but the thought of 100,000 fans at the "Big House" simultaneously ****ting themselves this weekend makes me smile.

The score should had been 32-0 Michigan.
But I am just happy that Texas did not follow the same fate.
Though it was close.

Um, Appalachian State CAN play for a national championship. They've won the last two running in Division I-AA. They're probably better than the bottom third of Division I-A.

I refuse to use or remember the idiotic new subdivision names.

This was exactly my fear when I saw Appy State on the schedule. I would have thought that AD's learned their lesson when Colorado got upended by Montana State (another I-AA) last season. Given Lloyd Carr's propensity for playing down to the opponent (Ball State last year, anyone?), I'm very much not surprised. I've revised my season expectations from 12-0/11-1 and a bowl game to 6-6/5-7 (losses from Oregon, Penn State, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Ohio State and potentially Notre Dame and Minnesota) and let myself be pleasantly surprised if they do better than that. I may have to start watching Virginia Tech games...

Mike in Michigan
Class of 2001-College of Literature, Science, & the Arts
Class of 2007-School of Nursing

This was exactly my fear when I saw Appy State on the schedule. I would have thought that AD's learned their lesson when Colorado got upended by Montana State (another I-AA) last season. Given Lloyd Carr's propensity for playing down to the opponent (Ball State last year, anyone?), I'm very much not surprised. I've revised my season expectations from 12-0/11-1 and a bowl game to 6-6/5-7 (losses from Oregon, Penn State, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Ohio State and potentially Notre Dame and Minnesota) and let myself be pleasantly surprised if they do better than that. I may have to start watching Virginia Tech games...

Mike in Michigan

Michigan forgot an even earlier lesson they were tutored in years ago by CU. The Miracle in Michigan. I think this win by ASU (sorry Arizona State, but you are irrelevant) probably tops that. However, the Colorado CU Boulder license plate with "RKTLFT" is the most coveted amongst the CU football highrollers.

I've revised my season expectations from 12-0/11-1 and a bowl game to 6-6/5-7 (losses from Oregon, Penn State, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Ohio State and potentially Notre Dame and Minnesota) and let myself be pleasantly surprised if they do better than that. I may have to start watching Virginia Tech games...

Mike in Michigan

I'm a Notre Dame fan, but I don't think Michigan has anything to worry about. I'm just happy it wasn't Notre Dame playing App. State. It might not have even been close.

Mike in Michigan

Even though I've always been a WI native, I'm still a Michigan fan. Lloyd Carr however, is changing my feelings about that. :cursing:

A playoff system would be great. Every other NCAA team has a playoff system, so why should football be any different. Just like the NFL, the best record might not be the one with the championship. Take the top 24 or even 16 teams and have a playoff.

A playoff system instead of bowls in college football will never happen...too much money pouring in from corporate sponsorships!!! Until somebody turns off the tap, it will remain the way it currently is. I would love to see a playoff system but I'm doubtful.

A playoff system instead of bowls in college football will never happen...too much money pouring in from corporate sponsorships!!! Until somebody turns off the tap, it will remain the way it currently is. I would love to see a playoff system but I'm doubtful.

I agree with you, but something needs to be done. No one wants to watch a bowl game between two rusty teams that haven't played a game in over a month.

I was at the game and it was a simple case of Michigan being under-motivated (can blame Carr for that) and ASU being hyper-prepared and fully motivated. They had nothing to lose, while Michigan had nothing to gain.

I was at the game and it was a simple case of Michigan being under-motivated (can blame Carr for that) and ASU being hyper-prepared and fully motivated. They had nothing to lose, while Michigan had nothing to gain.

I dunno, they lost a Top 25 ranking. Can you belive that? From #5 to 32.

Wow!!!

Top Bottom