What's new

Polsilver Blades

Anybody here using Polsilver blades and, if so, do you like them? Also, if you're using them, what razor do you get the best performance?

I'm using Feathers and Personna Med. Preps. exclusively but have been thinking of giving the Polsilvers and maybe Kais a try.

I just bought the Polsilvers AND the Kais from RBM, and I can't wait to try them. I was just calculating how many shaves I have on the current blade to see if I could justify chucking it! Please post when you end up trying the blades!

I'm using them and I like them.
I don't think they're the same as the old Iridiums, but it's been such a long time since I've used those that it's hard to tell for sure.

I have a partial pack purchased from Gianni back in 2008, before they were "discontinued," and Gianni closed his site for sales due to the demands of his day job. A bit smoother than a Super Iridium or 7 o'clock yellow, and not quite as sharp, but still plenty sharp. Best blade I've tried from the PPI plant is the Perma-Sharp Super, but won't be buying more, due to the wax/glue spots, same as the rest of the blades from that plant. I've reserved a 3-piece Lord Smart Razor to work down the small stash, about 24, of 7 o'clock yellows I have. Will not sully a harder-to-clean TTO razor with that wax crap.

Today's shave with a 7 o'clock yellow in the Lord Smart did not feel that smooth as the blade went over my face, but the end result was clean and smooth. I have other blades that cost less, feel smoother when drawn over my face, shave just as close, and don't have wax/glue spots to deal with.

Cost of the Polsilver back then when purchased in quantities was in the 25-30¢ per blade range, plus shipping.

As always with blades, YMMV.

Last edited:
Got some recently and like them so far. Currently I have been going back and forth between 7 o'clock blues and Personna med prep. Back to Polsilvers next week. So far I would say it is an excellent blade.

I like Polsilvers. My gold standard is Personna Med Prep or Lab. Polsilvers are not quite as good, IMO, but they are still sharp and smooth. A bit on the expensive side, though. For the money, I think a Lab is a better blade at half the price.

Today I opened up my Merkur Vision and popped in a new Polsilver Super Iridium blade. This was only the second time I have used the Polsilver. I used Ogallala soap with a "Monarch" High Mountain White Silvertip Badger Shaving Brush. I have to say I was very impressed. It was a very smooth shave and a prefect BBS. After taking a long warm shower I put on some Proraso Liquid Cream. I am starting to really like this blade and glad I bought 100 of these a few months ago.

Last edited:
To my mind the SI's are a bit sharper, but marginally less smooth than Personna Platinum Chromes. In other words a decent blade.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Polsilver Super Iridiums are my go to blade for DE shaving. They are smooth, sharp and forgiving. I have a dark course beard and can easily get 7 shaves per blade. What I think sets the Polsilvers and the original Russian Super Iridiums apart from other blades for me is, that they will work really well in just about any DE you put them in.

I use DE's, SE's, Straights and a vintage Trac II with cartridges. And use only the Polsilver blade in my Fat Handled Tech, 40's Style Superspeed, LongHandled Black Beauty Adjustable and Schick Krona.

I currently horde somewhere around 2200 Polsilver blades.

The Polisilver SI's are the newest blade I've found that I really like. The others are the GSB, Voshkod and I always keep 100 or so Astra's around. I have purchased 400 PSI's over the past 2-3 months from dcc also. I have 200 that should be here any day. My normal go to and gold standard is the GSB. The PSI's may be a hair less smooth, but I'm not really sure. It's close for me. I do feel like I get more shaves per blade with the PSI, but I haven't done an objective comparison.

I've also found they work in every razor I've tried them in so far. I like the shave I get. Normal retail is a bit expensive....what, about $32-$35/100? Buying from dcc it worked out to $24/100 for me, so that was a no brainer. My GSB's are $21/100, so these weren't too much more and everyone raves about them. I'm glad I bought 400 from Veli as I don't know if I will pay $35 for them.

I list them as a buy. dcc still has some for sale in the Hobbyist forum. I suggest getting them from him before they are gone. It will take about 10 days for them to reach the US from Bulgaria, but Veli is a stand up guy. The more blades you buy from him, the better deal you get per 100.

seems like people are mixing up apples and oranges and talk about different blades here. none of these are the same:

- polsilver
- polsilver super iridium
- iridium super

it started out decades ago at the wizamet factory in poland with

- polsilver, the common brand, and
- iridium, the better brand.

later production moved over to st petersburg, russia, they mixed up the names polsilver + iridium, and now it is believed that only

- polsilver super iridium is in production.

i will rank them by quality like this:

1. iridium super
2. polsilver.
3. polsilver super iridium

i use iridium super in all my razors.

$polsilver.jpg

Last edited:
The PSI is a great blade. Maybe not as sharp as a Feathers but smoother for sure. Smooth enough so that I can shave quickly without blood letting. Razor burn is a problem for me with the Feathers but much less so with the PSI. I have never tried the GSBs that everyone admires, but I am a big fan of the Israeli Crystal Blue blade. They are equally sharp to the PSI but maybe not as smooth. I am not sure in a blind test if I could tell the difference between a PSI and the Crystal Blue blade.

Top Bottom