What's new

Hi Everyone! I want to start DE shaving, but I have NO idea where to start!

Hi Everyone! I'm new to the forum, but I have been reading/lurking here for a while. I've finally decided that it's time to take the leap and start my DE shaving days!

I've read lots of the tutorials and how to's on the process but I'm totally lost on what components I should start out with. I've been shaving for about ten years now and have usually been using a Mach 3 cartridge based razor. I found my Grandfather's old badger hair brush and all the wonderful memories of him shaving while I watched him as a child came back. It's time for a change.

First off, a razor. It seems like the Merkur 34C would be the best way to start, no? I have large hands, is there any major difference in the Long Handle variant?

Next is where I get confused. I have a fairly light to medium beard, so I'm not sure what razor blades I should get. Any recommendations?

Regarding the brush, whats a relatively inexpensive starter brush that is still a quality product? I see lots of positive Amazon reviews for Tweezerman brushes. If you were just starting your collection/DE shaving, what brush would you start with?

OK, so razor/blades/brush are done. Now what? I'm confused as to the products as well. Soaps, creams, pre/post shave oils?

If I use a shaving cream, such as those dispensed from a tube, do I still need a soap? Do I apply the cream from the tube to my brush and then lather it to my face? What should a beginner start with?

What's the benefit of a soap versus a cream?

I apologize for the long winded post and confused tone. I can't wait to get started, but I feel that I'm getting bogged down in the sheer amount of information at my disposal! I'd really appreciate any help you could all give me in narrowing down my focus and any recommendations to products would be great.

Thanks everyone, looking forward to checking out your replies. :)

Here is my basic kit: Jagger DE89L, a selection of creams (I run from the cheap-O Mehelor to the sublime-Floris), a EJ best brush and Feather bades. I shower shave and face lather so dont need all the other accoutrements. I use Walmart Witch hazel and shaving balm to match my cologne (Issey Miayake, Hanae Mori, Floris)...

I dont have scuttles, alum, styptic pencils and all the other stuff.

Welcome to the board! You've got a good start in that you're here and have done some research.

I haven't personally used the 34C, but from what I've read it's a nice, mild starter. The head should be the same on the long handled version, but it's longer (obviously) and most likely heavier. That's really a matter of personal preference.

To the man, everyone will recommend you get a sampler pack of blades and work your way through them. Some blades work for some people, some don't. Some blades work well in one razor, but may not in another. It's really a matter of experimentation.

Now, for a brush...how much are you looking to spend? Bowl or face lather? A lot can depend on what you want to do. BUT, I started off with a Tweezerman and I found it to be a nice low cost option that works decently no matter how you lather. I would recommend it for sure. If you look in the brush threads you will find a lot of good options. There are a lot of good boar brushes out there for a nice price, but you have to have some patience and let them break-in before you can form an opinion.

Start simple on the creams and soaps. Pick a good one and just use that for a while. For the most part, creams lather a little easier. No, you don't need both...until you want to broaden your horizons a little. Definitely use the reviews and other threads to get an idea of a good one to start with. Also, take a look at the ShaveWiki and you will find some excellent techniques including pre-shave prep. Post-shave...I would look for some witch hazel and a styptic pencil for any cuts or weepers you may have. I also like to use aftershave splashes, but there are a ton out there. Again, it's about experimentation and finding what works for you.

So here's some advice:
read about technique on ShaveWiki
blade sampler
keep it simple..don't change variables much until you get your technique down.
map your beard...it'll help you figure out how to attack your whiskers
be patient
do not be afraid to ask questions...there is a lot of good help to be had on here

Justin

I'd recommend keeping things simple until you're sure it's an experience you like and want to continue. I was very green when I started wet shaving. Based on a friend's recommendation I bought an EJ (Edwin Jagger) starting pack that consisted of a best badger brush, sandalwood soap, a brush stand and a bowl. I also bought some CO Bigelow shaving cream to help me lather more easily initially and a Merkur Progress razor that came with 5 big ben blades. That was it. It cost about $200 from memory but you can definitely do it cheaper. After messing with it for a month or so (and cutting myself to shreds at times), I found I really liked it and now more than 6 months later, I have 3 additional soaps, a sample razor pack with 65 blades and a second razor.

I forgot to add - read the forum and go and check out Mantic59's blog - his videos are awesome.

Good luck!

Welcome to B&B.

Instead of the Merkur 34C, I would go with Edwin Jagger DE89series. The plating is superior than the Merkur razors and the razor delivers the smoothest shaves. You are lucky that you have a light/medium beard because most of the blades will probably work for you. I would get a blade sampler pack that includes Astra SP, Personna, Shark SS and Feather blades. I recommend an inexpensive shaving brush as a first; you can't go wrong with a Tweezerman badger or an Omega boar brush. Soaps last longer than creams and perform slightly better, therefore I would go with a shave stick such as Irisch Moos or Tabac (best performing soap on the market). If you want to order a cream, go with Proraso; in my experience it is the best performing cream available. So:

1. Edwin Jagger DE89 series razor.
2. Blade sampler pack
3. Inexpensive shaving brush (keep it around $15 or less)
4. Tabac or Irisch Moos soap stick (easier to build lather than using a bowl)
5. Proraso cream (if you also want a cream)

Bullgooseshaving and Westcoastshaving have great service and prices.

Welcome to B&B.

As said above, keep it simple.
  • Cream: Proraso
  • Brush: Tweezerman
  • AS: Witch Hazel. I prefer Thayers Rose Petal.
  • Remedy: Styptic pencil. Hope you don't need it.

If you haven't already done so, take a look at this post this post.

+1 on the EJ 89L. That is what i started with. very mild but not too mild. I would start with a VDH kit for the soap, brush, and bowl. That way if you dont like wet shaving then you are only out 10 bucks. Sampler pack for blades.

You guys are fantastic! Thank you all so much. I'm going to do some further research and let you all know what I order! :)

Go to the Buy / Sell / Trade forum and look for vintage superspeed razors - for half the price of a new one you'll get an engineering marvel that shaves as well today as the day it was made. I can pretty much guarantee that any new razor you buy today isn't going to still be in excellent condition in 50 or 60 years!

Go to the Buy / Sell / Trade forum and look for vintage superspeed razors - for half the price of a new one you'll get an engineering marvel that shaves as well today as the day it was made. I can pretty much guarantee that any new razor you buy today isn't going to still be in excellent condition in 50 or 60 years!
+1
Just a fantastic way to start.

+1 on this all around recommendation quoted below.

1. I have been DE shaving for a month now. I have both the Merkur 34 HD and the EJ 89. I like the EJ DE89 better. The plating is far superior to the Merkur and the razor is bigger. You mentioned you have big hands, so if you go with the Merkur, I would recommend you purchase a long handled version. If you go with the EJ (Edwin Jagger), look at the Barley chrome version. It has a knurling pattern on the handle which provides for improved grip over the smooth handled version. The last thing you want to do is drop your razor because your hands are slick from that awesome lather you've just made. Both razors are great, and are similarly priced. For this reason, I would buy the EJ DE89 because the finish is superior and the razor is about 0.7cm longer overall.
Another consideration would be to purchase a used razor off ebay. The Gillette super speed is a wonderful razor and is very forgiving like the Merkur 34 and EJ 89. Cost of the razors- $35-$40.

2. Blades- I am learning there are different blades that perform better with different razors. I cannot recommend enough how helpful the blade sampler will be. It is fun to try new blades and this way you don't buy a bunch of blades and then find out they don't work. You can find a number of different blade samplers at www.westcoastshaving.com If you know you are committed to making this change, buy the largest sampler pack- it comes with 15 different blade brands and a total of 150 blades. It is a great place to start. Cost $30.
3. Brush- I am sorry to be of little help here. Your brush choice can be dictated by so many factors- whether you want to face or bowl lather, whether you want to use soaps or creams, etc. To be honest, this may be the most important piece of the puzzle in regards to getting a quality shave. Again, I am new and many may not agree with me here, but this is a purchase on which I would not skimp. If I were you, I would look at some of the brush reviews on the reviews tab above. In addition, West Coast Shaving carries a number of quality brushes. The personnel there is also very helpful. You may consider calling them and discussing brush choices. Again, I would look to buy a quality brush. Cost ?$

4. Soaps/Creams- There is a lathering tutorial under the shavewiki tab which is excellent. I find it is far easier to bowl lather while I am learning. It helps me really evaluate how much water I am adding and lets me watch the lather progress from its infancy to those thick, creamy peaks I am chasing. I prefer creams at this stage because they are easier to work with. One very good performing cream at a reasonable cost with an excellent scent is CO Bigelow or Proraso cream. Cost $10

5. Witch Hazel is witch hazel. Great after the shave. A must for me. You can go the generic route and get a keg for $2 or if you want, and I feel it is worth it, go with Thayers brand. West Coast Shaving has a 12 ounce bottle for $8, which is $2 cheaper than anywhere else I have seen. I use the unscented, alcohol free version, but there are many other choices. Cost 8$.

6. Aftershave Balm- Nivea AS balm for sensitive skin. 5$ at walmart, target, etc. Very effective and inexpensive.

I would also recommend a styptic pencil for nicks and weepers. Cost $1. You can get this anywhere. Some use an alum block but I have never done so, so I cannot speak about this.

Again, all of this is very subjective and I promise you will find someone on here who will disagree with everything I have recommended- and there is nothing wrong with that at all. These are very personal decisions based on experience (of which I have little so far) and past performance. That being said, I feel everyone on this forum would agree that no single product or combination of products will substitute for poor technique. If you haven't done so, review the stickies at the top of this forum on blade angle and technique. Remember- NO PRESSURE on the razor. Let the razor head do ALL the work. I would also recommend you watch the Mantic59 videos on youtube. These are very helpful and very entertaining.

I am sorry to ramble on for so long. I should probably have very little to say due to my inexperience but I am so excited I found this forum and started DE shaving a month ago. I hope you have the same feelings a month from now!

Welcome to B&B.

Instead of the Merkur 34C, I would go with Edwin Jagger DE89series. The plating is superior than the Merkur razors and the razor delivers the smoothest shaves. You are lucky that you have a light/medium beard because most of the blades will probably work for you. I would get a blade sampler pack that includes Astra SP, Personna, Shark SS and Feather blades. I recommend an inexpensive shaving brush as a first; you can't go wrong with a Tweezerman badger or an Omega boar brush. Soaps last longer than creams and perform slightly better, therefore I would go with a shave stick such as Irisch Moos or Tabac (best performing soap on the market). If you want to order a cream, go with Proraso; in my experience it is the best performing cream available. So:

1. Edwin Jagger DE89 series razor.
2. Blade sampler pack
3. Inexpensive shaving brush (keep it around $15 or less)
4. Tabac or Irisch Moos soap stick (easier to build lather than using a bowl)
5. Proraso cream (if you also want a cream)

Bullgooseshaving and Westcoastshaving have great service and prices.

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B.

Just as a note, I have large hands too, but I prefer the shorter handle razors. So go ahead and try both, once you find your best razor it'll be a simple thing to sell the other one on B/S/T.

I have a cheap badger, and a cheap boar (Omega 49) that I got right afterwards. The cheap badger never gets used, and the Omega gets used almost every day.

If you're placing an online order and have a few extra bucks to spare, you might want to go ahead and explore boar along with your beginning badger brush!

Good luck, and have fun!

The first thing I would do is educate yourself. It is very easy to become caught up in all the equipment and rave reviews people post here. Spend some time on youtube there are a number of wonderful videos by Mantic59 and Geofatboy what provide tons of very insightful information. Also spend some time learning your beard and skin... I know sounds silly, but trust me you might not know yourself as well as you think. Once you have a firm hand on that begin you NEVER ENDING quest for the perfect set of shave implements.

I renewed my acquaintance with DE shaving after a 30 year hiatus thusly: Parker 82R TTO safety razor, Derby blades, Conk Amber Soap, an Omega 31025 "Scarlatti" boar brush, and TOBS Sandalwood Aftershave Gel.

Welcome to the group!

Don't be afraid to get the gear and practice prep and lathering but still shaving with the cartridge until you have a real handle on these vital steps. Even practice multiple no pressure passes with a cart; it does work!

I did this for a month until one morning I just "felt" ready, loaded the razor and went at it.

Top Bottom