What's new

Straight Edge and single blade shaving video, 3 passes, 6 minutes.

I've been shaving with this method for years now. I learned from a shaving thread on another forum(www.cigarsmokers.com) which also brought me here, where I learned a hell of a lot more. Anyways, I posted a video on Youtube as an example of straight edge shaving and wanted to share it here with you guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
I notice this is your third post here in three years, back then you was shaving with carts, have you silently been lurking and building up all kinds of AD's? :001_smile

Great video.

I don't understand the point of using two razors. If I'm using a straight, I use a straight. If I'm using a DE, I'm using a DE.

I'll explain.... I shave every second day on average, the BBS shave last's almost that long, but it doesn't matter if I'm shaving every second day, or if I haven't shaved for a whole weekend or week, the straight edge will get me down to the skin in ONE PASS, then I clean it up, and smooth it out with my single blade razor.

Oh ya, also I know I don't talk in the video, but I did add a large description on Youtube explaining what I do and why:001_tongu

Steve; If you remember Chimensch, he also does like 4 or 5 passes and he's been at it for over 30 years.

Steve; If you remember Chimensch, he also does like 4 or 5 passes and he's been at it for over 30 years.

For sure. Going by his advice and use a really light touch, you get wonderful shaves. I do 5-pass shaves quite often myself.
I don't need to do it, but I truly enjoy shaving, so a bunch of passes is great when I got the time. :001_smile

Actually I hate going against the grain with my Straight Edge so I started doing the final two passes with a DE and the result is a BBS shave....
please don take this as a negative comment, only curious

this straight and DE process has me flustered a bit as it seems convoluted ... why bother with the straight to begin with? I could understand during the learning process of straights, but as part of the shave, what does it get you as a result, besides enjoyment which i guess could be enough? I thought your youtube comments would explain why, but they don't touch on it.

plus i don't know if I consider this a 6 minute shave, based on what i though was included, like your pre- stropping, brush prep and lathering, stropping after the fact and what not... is this how others time themselves?

fom youtube
First you should figure out which way your hair grows by running your hand along your chin/cheek/neck. I always start with one pass using my Straight edge razor going WITH the grain. Then I rinse/dry/re-lather and do one pass with my single blade razor going again WITH the grain. Then I rinse/dry/re-lather and the third pass I again use the single blade razor, but this time I go AGAINST the grain. Rinse and dry. I personally don't use after-shave. The result is a perfectly smooth and razor burn free shave if you practice this method. Some other tips: Never pass over a spot you already shaved the lather off of, the exception with the rule is a Straight Edge, you can make a second pass lather free. My lather is made with both the cream and the soap, together they are create what I think is a super smooth foam. Strop your straight edge on a canvas 20 times and on your leather 30-40 times before every shave. Change your single blade razor every 2-3 shaves depending on what kind of blades you use, what hair type you have on your face, or how often you shave. If you are shaving daily for work I would be changing my single blade almost daily to help against razor burn. Razor burn is a result of rushing, going against the grain too soon, or using a blade more then once. Cream and soap average $10, Razors average $10 every 3-6 months.The Straight edge is a one time purchase and so is the strop, Wild Boar Brush for mixing your lather, and the Single Blade holder. Oh, and I know someone in Idaho who hones the Straight edges better then new. He charges $15 and that should be done yearly. I spend maybe $50-60 a year shaving, and I shave every second day no matter what. How much do you spend?

For sure. Going by his advice and use a really light touch, you get wonderful shaves. I do 5-pass shaves quite often myself.
I don't need to do it, but I truly enjoy shaving, so a bunch of passes is great when I got the time. :001_smile

I kind of agree with "whoa", perhaps i use too much pressure for 4-5 passes, after 2 i feel it's time to move on.. but to each, their ow.. i mean own...

please don take this as a negative comment, only curious

this straight and DE process has me flustered a bit as it seems convoluted ... why bother with the straight to begin with? I could understand during the learning process of straights, but as part of the shave, what does it get you as a result, besides enjoyment which i guess could be enough? I thought your youtube comments would explain why, but they don't touch on it.

plus i don't know if I consider this a 6 minute shave, based on what i though was included, like your pre- stropping, brush prep and lathering, stropping after the fact and what not... is this how others time themselves?

fom youtube

It's all good. Like I said, my hair grows really fast, and there is no way I can shave off two days growth in one pass with a DE, let alone a weekends worth of growth. If I didn't use a straight edge I would do at least 4-5 passes.... With the straight edge included I do just three passes. I didn't learn this or read this anywhere, it's just what I figured out through experimentation:) The guy who sharpens my straight edge, Glen Mercurio from this board, said you should only strop before you shave, not after. I think it has something to do with the moisture or alignment of the metal fibers... ??

I wasn't timing myself, it wasn't a race, and actually it felt like 10-15 minutes in my mind(Probably because of the stropping and making of the foam) so I was surprised when the video was only about 6 minutes:)

I plan to post more videos in the coming weeks, one of how I make my foam( I use a mixture of soap and paste) and how I strop. Also maybe a video with me talking while I'm shaving to further clarify and instruct those that are interested:)

Seemed to be a methodical and well executed shave to me. And mostly a true 3-pass shave without going over the same areas repeatedly in the same pass. Come on, all you one-pass shavers, can you put your hand on your heart and say the same?
I don't switch between straights and DEs in the same shave, but I can see the logic if you are willing to do the extra clean up.

You rinse the razors often, why is that? To keep it hot or wet or does it just seem cleaner to you? I let a ton of lather build up before I rinse, but maybe that's because I make thick lather.

Top Bottom