What's new

R.A. Rooney Large Stubby "Super Silvertip" Extra Dense

Hello Guys,

Wow, sorry about this debacle. Smile from CS here to apologize and explain the insanity of nine brushes. Each SKU had three brushes that went into it's slot, this didn't get discovered till we got some emails and phone calls Monday morning. This is being fixed now. The brush that was pictured is the Old Style Stubby (ST) the size descriptions are from the Old Style Chubby/Stubbies (SC) and the somehow the New Style Stubbies fell in also.

proxy.php

The Nine Brushes of DOOM!!
proxy.php

Stubby 1 New, Stubby, Stubby/Chubby
proxy.php

Stubby 2 New, Stubby, Stubby/Chubby
proxy.php

Stubby 3 New, Stubby, Stubby/Chubby

Last edited:
Thanks for the post, Smile. Having spent a fair number of years working a warehouse I completely understand how this could happen...but please tell me I am still DOOMed. :w00t: Those Stubby/Chubby brushes are lovely!

Smile,

Thanks for your efforts in clarifying the confusion and commitment to make things right.

You and I spoke this morning and I've a few questions for my own benefit as well as that of other members. I placed an order for a medium (the only size remaining) extra dense "old stock, heritage plus" brush shortly after our conversation. What actually are the dimensions of that brush? It was listed on the website as 26 mm wide / 50 mm loft as I am expecting it to be. Is that not the case?

Now I see that there are no longer any listed on your website in any size. Is that because the website is being updated to provide corrected and accurate descriptions and dimensions?

I'm sure that once things get sorted out there will be several members that desire these brushes. I believe that you said there was a small number remaining in all sizes. Is that the case (I'm just trying to give others something to get excited about)?

Again for the benefit of others, FYI: "Smile" told me that there is considerable variation from brush to brush. Some are more bulb like, some more of a fan. Don't get hung up on the representative photo because your brush might not be that shape.

I'm fully expecting to receive a special and desirable brush. I would not have placed an order this AM had I not had the telephone conversation with CS first. That said, I also would not have placed and order if I wasn't confident that if I received an item that wasn't as described, CS would accept it in return with no problem.

Hello there,

The pictures that were on the site were the "Stubby" brush and the dimensions were the "Stubby/Chubby". The dimensions for just the knots and lofts follow.

ST1 - 22mm knot
40-42mm loft
SC1 - 26mm knot
45-47mm loft
ST2 - 24mm knot
50-52mm loft
SC2 - 28mm knot
50-54mm loft
ST3 - 26mm knot
50-52mm loft
SC3 - 30mm knot
50mm loft

I rec'd my brush from Classic Shaving early yesterday. I thought I was buying the 'old stock' Stuuby3 with measurements of 30mm knot and 50mm loft.What I got was much,much smaller than that.It was obviously the wrong brush.I called CS and they were very helpful.I'm returning my brush and they're sending me the Stubby/Chubby3(their term).It reportedly has the dimensions I thought I was getting in the 1st place. It was a very confusing situation but the CS owner seems to be doing everything he can to remedy the problem.

Craig

I just want to warn anyone wanting to return their brush.Do not return the brush until you get an e-mail back from CS with a RA number that you have to put on the return address on the package.

The CS owner seems to be doing everything he can to remedy the problem.

I had a similar conversation with CS today and agree. I think I might be a tad spoiled by the exceptional customer service vendors such as CS and Bullgoose provide. I certainly do not find it locally.

Thumbs up. :thumbup:

Glad to read you guys are going to get the brushes you really ordered. I was afraid they sold more NOS ones than they had due to the mixture of brushes and some people got the right ones while others would have to settle for a refund.

I'm still confused as to which brush is which. :cursing:

Which brush was being promoted as:

For those of you impatiently waiting for our next shipment of "Rooney's Finest" shaving brushes—their highest-quality, most-densely-packed badger hair brushes—may we offer you the next best thing? We were lucky enough to get our hands on some Rooney brushes that haven't been in production for a few years. They feature the extra-dense, so-close-to-Rooney's-Finest-we-can-almost-touch-it, "Heritage" series Super Badger fillings that are simply no longer available.

Is it the Old Style Stubby (ST) or the Old Style Chubby/Stubbies (SC)?

I understand the ST is pictured and the dimensions are for the SC (and some people have ended up receiving the new 2 band stubby), I just want to know which brush is described as:

We can't quite call them "Rooney's Finest", but they're definitely the best Rooney brushes on our shelves today. Once they are gone, they are gone and we won't be getting any more!

It was the description of the hair that precipitated my order. I chose the Large, because those dimensions appealed to me, but at the end of the day it was the description of the knot (not the dimensions) that INITIALLY encouraged me to buy.

Can anyone shed some light on which brush I though I was buying?

I'm still confused as to which brush is which. :cursing:

Which brush was being promoted as:

For those of you impatiently waiting for our next shipment of "Rooney's Finest" shaving brushes—their highest-quality, most-densely-packed badger hair brushes—may we offer you the next best thing? We were lucky enough to get our hands on some Rooney brushes that haven't been in production for a few years. They feature the extra-dense, so-close-to-Rooney's-Finest-we-can-almost-touch-it, "Heritage" series Super Badger fillings that are simply no longer available.

Is it the Old Style Stubby (ST) or the Old Style Chubby/Stubbies (SC)?

I understand the ST is pictured and the dimensions are for the SC (and some people have ended up receiving the new 2 band stubby), I just want to know which brush is described as:

We can't quite call them "Rooney's Finest", but they're definitely the best Rooney brushes on our shelves today. Once they are gone, they are gone and we won't be getting any more!

It was the description of the hair that precipitated my order. I chose the Large, because those dimensions appealed to me, but at the end of the day it was the description of the knot (not the dimensions) that INITIALLY encouraged me to buy.

Can anyone shed some light on which brush I though I was buying?

Hey Ben,

I believe its the Stubby/Chubby. Please check out the private message I sent you this AM. I was hoping you would see it early and you could call CS. Please refer to the email for more info. The entire situation was quite confising to many of us here.

Craig

Hey Ben,

I believe its the Stubby/Chubby. Please check out the private message I sent you this AM. I was hoping you would see it early and you could call CS. Please refer to the email for more info. The entire situation was quite confising to many of us here.

Craig

Ciao Craig,

Grazie. Messaggio inviato.

OK. I just received my Stubby/Chubby 1 from CS. This is after they cleared up their inventory issues. This brush measures 25/45, has the hair that they claim is as close to Finest as it gets, and is super dense. Look at the picture of the tips. I'm not a great photographer but I posed it next to a Simpson Duke 1 in Best so you can get a relative idea of the size and density compared to the Duke.

Last edited by a moderator:
For all you guys giving these a go, are they really anything like Finest? I've never seen a three band that is, but curious to hear your impressions.

Ken

Are these all sold out? I'm not seeing them on the website....

They told me they are sorting out their inventory and measuring every brush to make sure they know what they have available, and then will putting them back ontheir site - maybe even by size.

For all you guys giving these a go, are they really anything like Finest? I've never seen a three band that is, but curious to hear your impressions.

Ken

Some of your posts talking about the virtues of Finest helped me to decide to get this brush. Unfortunately, I've never had a Finest so couldn't answer your question. When I emailed CS to ask that question here's the answer they sent me:

"Playing around with these brushes and comparing to a finest, they are the closest to a finest I have seen."

rooney heritage three band from years ago is really nothing like finest, perhaps the polar opposite in my opinion. both are incredibly dense, but the heritage brushes were silky soft while the finest had more of a scritch to them but would soften up a lot with use. i always preferred the heritage brushes myself but i sort of have sensitive skin that couldn't handle the stiffness of the finest bristle.

Top Bottom