What's new

Shave problems

Hey Guys am having bad ingrown hairs on my neck am shaving every other day trying to let them heal up I right now don't have to shave every day for work but I love the clean shaving look am not going for bbs right now that does not matter as much. Products I use

Badger silver tip brush
AOS straight razor ( I had to do it it just looks so manly and first time my girl friend saw me shave she said it was such a turn on seeing me shave with a straight made it in to my mind so no way am changing now)
am useing E shave cream White tea
and one called dusk organic link here (http://www.amazon.com/Herban-Cowboy-Shave-Cream-cream/dp/B0017QV1JA)
and a custom pre shave oil
50 strops hot shower face scrub st ivs apricot steal it from gf than out of the shower i use alum bar all over my face than pre shave oil than cream work it in really well
shave WTG 1 pass on neck 2 passes on my face sometimes 1XTG face only
cold water rinse alum bar than tend skin feel the burn try to look manly as possible here
than a light coat of a after shave oil any tips that you can give will be of a great help to me

Are you positive you are shaving WTG on your neck and not just shaving north to south?

Once you have a few hours of stubble on your neck run your fingers over your neck and see which direction feels roughest. The direction that feels roughest is ATG, the opposite of this would be WTG.

I have been wetshaving since 2009 and I absolutely can't do anything other than 3 WTG/slightly XTG passes on my neck without getting ingrown hairs. If I even think about going ATG on my neck it turns red!

I would add: make sure the razor is sharp and rinse the problem areas thoroughly with cold water after the last pass. Dry face by gently patting, apply witch hazel and let it dry (15 seconds) before applying moisturizer or balm. Rinsing thoroughly and witch hazel will rid of any soap residue from the pores.

May I suggest to drop the face scrub and only use it on non shave days. I find that if I use a face scub on the days I shave I also get neck irritation. Maybe some product is getting into your pores and is being imbedded by the razor. Just a thought. Shaving by itself is an exfoliant

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

for now, only go WTG until you don't have any issues (so 3xWTG). Then introduce 1 pass XTG (2xWTG and 1xXTG). If you don't have any issues, try WTG XTG XTG again... Only if you don't have any issues. Take your time!

Also, is the straight razor shave ready? Was it honed by a pro with stones? If not, it's normal that you will experience some issues. The factory edge is not sharp enough to shave with.

This link might help: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Interactive_Guide_to_Straight_Razor_Shaving

Excellent advice above! Let us know what works for you! If nothing seems to work, then we are certainly up for more advice!

Top Bottom