What's new

My 2012 journey...help is being requested!

A good afternoon to you all!

2012 is going to be my "year of the classics." At the end of December (beginning of January), I'm going to purchase 6 new shaving soaps for my den. All 6 are going to be very highly-regarded and CLASSIC in nature. They will be soaps with which I have no experience whatsoever (outside of what I have read).

So far, I have the following 5. I need all of you to help refine the list and round it out with a 6th member (feel free to add/remove as desired).

1) Tabac
2) MWF
3) Valobra Menthol
4) Dr. Harris Arlington
5) Trumper's Violet

Stipulations:

a) Don't recommend any Italian softs (not for a lack of love, I just already have a bunch :w00t:. The Valobra's going to be my last for a long while)
b) Don't recommend creams (this is a soap post :wink2:)

Thanks in advance for your participation in my quest!

edit: Feel free to suggest substitutes in the scents for those listed above with other options (Trumper and Harris)

Last edited:
T&H Shaving soap

Some will recommend AOS (not a bad recommendation) but some may not consider it a Classic

I like these kind of quests!

You already suggested 5 classics!

Maybe you can add Truefitt & Hill Luxury Shaving Soap. It has some reviews on here, so be sure to check them out!

FWIW I haven't tried it myself, but I have tried Tabac, MWF and Arlington, and my fav. from those is Arlington!

Good luck and look forward to more suggestions by our fellow B&B'ers :)

Have you tried any vintage soaps?

Old Spice soap is certainly classic, and in my opinion, amazing. It's not hard to find, but finding it at a reasonable price is more challenging. After I use up my one puck, I may never buy it again, unless I happen across a bargain. A soap can only be so good, after all. If you don't have an Old Spice mug yet, then getting a mug with an unused soap still in it may be worth it once; it was for me.

Vintage Williams is easier to find at a halfway reasonable price, and nothing beats the lather. The catch is that you have to like unscented soaps. I do, you may not.

Last edited:

2012 is going to be my "year of the classics." At the end of December (beginning of January), I'm going to purchase 6 new shaving soaps for my den. All 6 are going to be very highly-regarded and CLASSIC in nature. They will be soaps with which I have no experience whatsoever (outside of what I have read).

So far, I have the following 5. I need all of you to help refine the list and round it out with a 6th member (feel free to add/remove as desired).

1) Tabac
2) MWF
3) Valobra Menthol
4) Dr. Harris Arlington
5) Trumper's Violet

Stipulations:

a) Don't recommend any Italian softs (not for a lack of love, I just already have a bunch :w00t:. The Valobra's going to be my last for a long while)
b) Don't recommend creams (this is a soap post :wink2:)

Thanks in advance for your participation in my quest!

edit: Feel free to suggest substitutes in the scents for those listed above with other options (Trumper and Harris)

1. Tabac
2. MWF
3. Irisch Moos
4. Wilkinson soap stick (tallow/lanolin)
5. Dr. Harris Arlington
6. Palmolive soap stick (european version)

:001_smile

True...I definitely don't plan on finishing any of them in 2012. :001_smile.

Yeah. I see three years worth of soap there! I seriously think a puck of Trumper's Coconut lasts a full year of daily shaves.

BTW: Enjoy every shave. I don't see a bad soap on the list!!!

Last edited:

3) Valobra Menthol

Hate to tell you this but #3 Valobra Menthol is an Italian soft.

1. Martin de Candre
2. D.R. Harris Arlington
3. M.W.F.

I think I have to go with La Toja and Martin de Candre. Those are probably two of my favorite soaps I have at the moment. Another viable option is Mama Bear's soaps. Obviously you could choose any scent as most of them have the same ingredients I think and just the scent changes.

Top Bottom