What's new

The Irony of a BBS

Ironically I was just talking about this how getting a sweet shave has wrecked any chances of a 5óclock shadow... It's 4:53pm here right now and the face is smooth. The R41 seems to be running some kind of extortion rackets with the follicles that were my beard...

I like to go for a BBS once a week because it really is a great feeling but since I want to shave as much as possible, I just do two passes the other five shaves (yep, that leaves out a day because I don't need to shave the day after BBS day).

Yup.

I'm now shaving at night so I don't have to wait until morning!
And the DE shave lasts until I get home!

To deal with the urge to shave again in the morning, I bumped my alarm to go off 1/2 hour later so now I sleep until my wife has the coffee made.
Doing that, I don't even think about shaving until I'm on my way to work and happen to rub my chin.

I can shave against the grain, stretching the skin, in the area under my sideburns with impunity and get it as BBS as BBS can be. Feathers, stretching the skin, any razor and 24 hrs later, no matter how light the stubble, I still need to shave again as far as my employer is concerned.

Steve

Ah, Uncle Sam.

Is it noticable to you in the mirror? Bet that toughens the old skin up. So, since you have to shave everyday anyway, do you go for BBS or DFS or do they require BBS every day?

Thanks for your service.

Yup.

I'm now shaving at night so I don't have to wait until morning!
And the DE shave lasts until I get home!

To deal with the urge to shave again in the morning, I bumped my alarm to go off 1/2 hour later so now I sleep until my wife has the coffee made.
Doing that, I don't even think about shaving until I'm on my way to work and happen to rub my chin.

What's your razor/blade combo?

Sorry, Rich. I remember now you saying that the 3rd or 4th shave you switched to the Astras.

Would you say that you have a heavy, thick quick growing beard? Any greying whiskers yet (grey whiskers are more tough and dense)? Trying to get a mental pic. of your beard.

Sorry, Rich. I remember now you saying that the 3rd or 4th shave you switched to the Astras.
Merkur 38C: 3 shaves with Derby
Muhle R41: 3 shaves with Derby, 4 shaves with Astra SP, and now 1 shave this morning with a fresh Astra.
Would you say that you have a heavy, thick quick growing beard? Any greying whiskers yet (grey whiskers are more tough and dense)? Trying to get a mental pic. of your beard.
These were taken (self-portraits) in July 2008...

Getting some gray, but still slow growing and mostly blonde.
I am noticing the stubble is a bit tougher than it used to be. When I was 35, I could get away with shaving every 3rd day. Even now, using the Fusion, I can get away with shaving every-other day if I shave in the morning. If I shave in the evening, then I'm a little scruffy by the end of day-2, that 12 hours makes a difference.
But with the R41 and Astra, if I go a full 48 hours I'm not quite as scruffy as 48 hours on the Fusion.

I may have embellished a bit.. 48 on the R41 isn't QUITE as nice as 24 on the Fusion, but I'd say 36 hours might compare to 24.

The beard is gone now... took it off when I went to the DE.
Still using the Fusion for my noggin.

$DSCN0117.jpg$DSCN0430.jpg

And ya... I was doing about 80 when I took the profile shot.
Got lucky and nailed the framing on the first shot just holding the camera out with my left hand!

Last edited:
Top Bottom