What's new

Newbie purchase - thoughts wanted :)

Looking at getting this setup as my first DE shaving set. what do you guys think, am I missing anything essential?

Merkur 34C HD Hefty razor
Vulfix No 2197 Shaving Brush
Proraso Pre and After Shave Cream
Proraso Shaving Cream Tube
Blade Sampler Pack - 5 brands

Might be worth getting a styptic pencil or alum block - they're great for stopping minor bleeding from small nicks and weepers.

Might be worth getting a styptic pencil or alum block - they're great for stopping minor bleeding from small nicks and weepers.

^ This would be the only "necessity" I believe you're lacking. IRT your previous question, witch hazel is pretty much witch hazel. I prefer Thayer's because it smells good, and I don't care for the normal scent of WH.

Which witch hazel/aftershave balm would you recommend?

Thayer's Alcohol Free Witch Hazel. You can use a quality face moisturizer or aftershave balm (Proraso balm). After I shave I cold rinse, dry, apply witch hazel, apply moisturizer or aftershave balm, use aftershave splash.

i'd get the proraso soap over the cream ... ultimately, after about 4 weeks you'll realise that soap is better than cream and end up buying the soap and stop using the cream. save yourself a couple of $'s and jump right on the soap wagon.

+1 on only real necessity.

Seeing as you already have some proraso get the AS as well. Its got WH and allantoin and some days, if I've been super careful, its the last step in the routine as I don't/won't need a balm.

It's also real nice to use the Italian stuff end to end. Just makes for a real continental experience.

The only thing that I would recommend as a necessity is a stypic pencil. As for what I use post-shave is:
$IMG_0184.jpg
I use CO Bigelow's witch hazel since it was a gift and is currently running low. The store that has the CO Bigelow products no longer carries the WH :cursing:. Fortunately, since I work at a grocery store, I noticed we carry Thayer's WH and plan on getting a couple of bottles since I alway use WH after a shave.

Thanks for all the tips guys! I ended up splashing out and have just placed my order for all this:
Merkur 34C HD Hefty razor
Vulfix No 2197 Shaving Brush
Proraso Pre and After Shave Cream
Proraso Shaving Cream Tube
Blade Sampler Pack - 5 brands
Alum Block
Thayers Witch Hazel Sampler Pack
Taylor of Old Bond Street Sampler Pack
Tabac Original Shaving Soap with Bowl
Proraso Shaving Cream Mug
Costing in total $370 NZD Inc Shipping to New Zealand. So Im pretty happy! I don't know how Im going to wait 1-2 weeks for it to arrive thou!!!

Add some Thayers Alcohol Free Lavender Witch Hazel and a bowl, if you don't face lather and you've got a great setup.

I also agree on the switch to the soap from the cream. Every has to find their combination but I am becoming a big fan of soap and have really enjoyed adding a bowl to the collection as well. good luck!

Top Bottom