What's new

corners of my mouth

no matter what i do, every time i shave i end up with lots of little nicks in the corners of my lips, at first i thought it was just a slip but it's every time i shave and i can't work out why

The first question I have for you is are you shaving WTG or ATG? I've noticed that if I go ATG, there's a little bit of bleeding. Because of this, I only shave my mustache and sides of my mouth WTG or downward.

i go WTG then ATG, usually theres a slight nick WTG then when i go against its just nicks galore

I only shave my mustache and sides of my mouth WTG or downward.
^ This.

I can start feeling whiskers on my upper lip by 5:00, but to me it's just not worth the extra time & hassle. I usually do one full WTG pass everywhere, an ATG everywhere but my upper lip, and touch up if needed. The only time I'll mess with a full three pass is if I'm enjoying a nice leisurely Saturday shave.

I'll give that a go, lets hope i can get some improvement. I'm a bit tired of seeing my blood go down the drain I'd much rather it remained in my body lol

one thing to note is that atg in that area is very hard for a lot of people, it might be one of the most common shaving difficulties.

try noahpictures' method for the mustache area described here:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/255674-Tip-for-shaving-Under-the-Nose-Mustache-area

+1 I was having issues with my mustache area, lots of puffiness, irritation and a few weepers... Until I tried his technique this morning. I found I was still using too much pressure even though I didn't think I could reduce it any more.

I agree - I only do wtg or ctg around my mouth. Tried atg and definitely had issues.

The first question I have for you is are you shaving WTG or ATG? I've noticed that if I go ATG, there's a little bit of bleeding. Because of this, I only shave my mustache and sides of my mouth WTG or downward.

For me, the most important thing is contorting my mouth. Both to stretch and flatten the corners, and stand the hairs up. What I find is that WTG and combo XTG/ATG strokes take off enough hair that when I relax again, it looks and basically feels BBS. Its only if I stretch it out again, that you can see a little stubble.

Best of luck! :smile:

^ This.

I can start feeling whiskers on my upper lip by 5:00, but to me it's just not worth the extra time & hassle. I usually do one full WTG pass everywhere, an ATG everywhere but my upper lip, and touch up if needed. The only time I'll mess with a full three pass is if I'm enjoying a nice leisurely Saturday shave.

+1.
WTG or XTG for me. Tiny by of stubble at the end of the day, but much simpler.

Well i tried it, still got nicked but hardly anything compared to how it was before, then i got distracted by how much better it was and turned my chin into burger meat. Ah well live and learn

I just poke out the corners of my mouth with my tongue. That maneuver better exposes the area and adds tension to the skin.

With those little areas at the corners of my mouth, I ignore the traditional WTG/XTG/ATG passes and go pretty much E-W and W-E instead (ie from the side, directly towards my mouth, and then from my mouth directly away), pushing out with my tongue a little. Before I started doing that, I used to end up with either a few stubborn hairs that I couldn't shift, or a high probability of nicks.

In fact, for some parts I'm starting to move away from the three passes in fixed directions now that I'm getting to know different areas of my face better. Another example is the areas just under the jawline below the ends of my mouth, where the hair seems to grow in circles, and buffing/j-hooking there works better than any straight-direction pass.

With those little areas at the corners of my mouth, I ignore the traditional WTG/XTG/ATG passes and go pretty much E-W and W-E instead (ie from the side, directly towards my mouth, and then from my mouth directly away), pushing out with my tongue a little. Before I started doing that, I used to end up with either a few stubborn hairs that I couldn't shift, or a high probability of nicks.

In fact, for some parts I'm starting to move away from the three passes in fixed directions now that I'm getting to know different areas of my face better. Another example is the areas just under the jawline below the ends of my mouth, where the hair seems to grow in circles, and buffing/j-hooking there works better than any straight-direction pass.

+1. I do the very same thing, and it works well. Doing this with light pressure I don't get any weepers. Pushing out with your tongue to make that area flat, or ever so slightly convex is key as well.

Top Bottom