What's new

Muhle R41,The combined thread

What are you doing with the R41?

• I used it, I didnt like it, Im getting rid of it

• I used it, I liked it, Im keeping it

• I used it, it cut me and/or irritated me, but the jury is still out

Results are only viewable after voting.
Welp, thanks to some suggestions around the forum I tried cold water shaving with it. I keep nicking this darned blemish I have on my face and it won't go away because of that lol. Other than that, no blood. I kind of focused a lot on angle and I took my sweet time shaving (which I will probably do again today). I would say the cold water helped though. I got BBS in most places and then behind my jaw bone DFS (tends to be a little harder for me to get BBS there anyways). I am gonna shave with this Knack I just got yesterday (gotta give some love to the vintage razors I get when I get them heh). But I will resume with the R41 tomorrow (I have been using it as a daily shaver now for a couple of weeks, skipping a day here and there to either straight shave or use my Aristocrat). I started using Polsilver blades at about the end of last week and these things are definitely something to try. The only blades I want to try left are Feather and Super Iridiums (can't find a sample size of the Iridiums heh). Overall I have to say, I am with KM on this razor, great tool for shaving, great results with most blades for me, great weight, great feel, and definitely get DFS or BBS without much effort.

I think an r41 matched with the smooth sharpness of an Astra SP is a wonderful combo to those trying the R41 for the first time. I have moderate r41 experience and can get zero aftershave sting and no nicks or cuts. Sweet.

Was able to get BBS-XL (stays BBS eXtra Long) with Astra SP. I get a BBS-XXL with Iridium and PermaSharp. Same BBSs as with a DE89L except that they last longer with the r41.

Just tried an Astra in mine today, after my previous post. I have to say that I generally hate Astra blades, but they are incredibly nice in my R41. One cut on the chin, and a little irritation on the neck, but much better than usual. Will probably use a few blades here to bolt down the technique.

Great shave tonight with my R41. Paid particular attention to not using any pressure except in the downward direction. And tried to keep the edge of the head against my skin. No blood of any kind tonight. A BBS/DFS 1-pass. It seems that keeping edge of head on skin generates about a 30 deg. angle. What do you guys think?

I started De shaving about 6 months back and use a Merkur 42C daily and have a Parker 22r lying at my family`s place, as I sleep there one ot two weekends each month.

Now that christmas is nearing I have been asked to make a wishlist and as I seriously hate that Parker razor I am considering wisihing for a new one.
I`d like to try something new but still somewhat similar to my Merkur 42C, as I feel I have gotten pretty good with that one.

I am considering these razors:

http://connaughtshaving.com/merkur500.html
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edwin-Jagge...4L2W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321961099&sr=8-1
http://connaughtshaving.com/mur41.html

What would you people recommend?

Right now I have been loving the Muhle R41. Had it for 4 shaves and love it. Very effecient razor that everyone should try. But it is different so be aware of that, but you will either love it or hate it. As it stands, if you hate it you can sell it pretty damn quick!

I started De shaving about 6 months back and use a Merkur 42C daily and have a Parker 22r lying at my family`s place, as I sleep there one ot two weekends each month.

Now that christmas is nearing I have been asked to make a wishlist and as I seriously hate that Parker razor I am considering wisihing for a new one.
I`d like to try something new but still somewhat similar to my Merkur 42C, as I feel I have gotten pretty good with that one.

I am considering these razors:

http://connaughtshaving.com/merkur500.html
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edwin-Jagge...4L2W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321961099&sr=8-1
http://connaughtshaving.com/mur41.html

What would you people recommend?

The R41 (2011) is more effective/aggressive than the other ones you mention. I can not say if your skin can take this one. The R41 old head is milder.

What I am qurious about is whether or not the R41 causes irritation on the skin for sensitive skin types?

I just migt swap razors between home and their place every now and then.

In my opinion, the problem a person may have with the R.41 is not irritation but nicks and cuts. It may take a while to get used to it.

The adage of no pressure really applies to this razor. Once you get the angle for it right (for me that angle is with the handle closer to my face than other DEs) and you minimize the pressure on the blade, you get a very close, efficient shave.

I use mine every other day (alternate between the R41 and a Gem OC MM) and it's fine. As others have said, watch the pressure and angles and it can be an effective daily shaver.

I have used it every day for about (2) months with the exception of (1) shave with a Slant and (2) shaves with a Fatboy dialed to "9". The first full month of use was difficult and I could see why someone would conclude that the razor was to much for everyday shaving. Nicks, weepers, irritation. My few shaves with the other razors convinced me that I like the R41 best for my daily use. The razor forced a more precise technique even though I thought I had good technique by way of previously using the Slant as my daily razor. Not the same scale at all. I had more of a learning curve going from the Slant to the R41 than from carts to my first DE (23c).

If your using a Slant, an adjustable dialed up high, or some other razor commonly recognized as aggressive/efficient, then I think the R41 is a candidate for a daily use razor that you'd like.

i think all razors are designed for daily use... whether or not it's good for you for that is personal.. i could use a slant everyday and it's smooth, but others talk about it as if it's too harsh...

What I am qurious about is whether or not the R41 causes irritation on the skin for sensitive skin types?
I think it will be fine for everyday use. I've used a similarly-aggressive open comb for the past year on a daily basis and have had no issues whatsoever.

If anything, aggressive razors cause less irritation, not more. My experience anyway.

The advantage of the Progress is that you can determine just how aggressive a shave you want. The EJ89 is similar to your Merkur but a touch milder. You may want to consider the "old" style R41 from Connaught as it's cheaper and somewhat milder (although some say too mild). I'd go for the Progress, I have one modified as a "Mergress" and love it. I have one very aggressive open comb (Joris) that gives a fabulous shave, but I don't use it everyday and would never use it if I was in a rush.

I just might swap razors between home and their place every now and then.

I have sensitive skin and it works great for me, Cold water shaves are the best for sensitive skin , Especially when using the R41 as it has lots of blade exposure. just make sure you go nice and slow take your time with this razor, and the sweet spot seems to be just about when the edge of the head that lies right under the blade touches your face, WOW what a shave......

I use mine daily. There is usually one day a week I use my Edwin Jagger DE89BA11. I just love it for its own sake. It gives me a close comfortable shave quick and when I am not really trying to be as close/smooth as the R41. I also like my BA11handle on the R41 head. But the R41 is so efficient and effective, it cured my RAD.

To me, the benefit of the R41 is that with it I can get in 2 or 3 passes a shave that requires 4 when using my 34C HD. But as others have mentioned before, you do need to use a good technique with it or it will bite.

I alternate between a new R41 and an older one. I believe if I shaved the new R41 every day my face would become irritated.

Top Bottom