View Poll Results: What are you doing with the R41?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • I used it, I didnt like it, Im getting rid of it

12 14.46%
  • I used it, I liked it, Im keeping it

56 67.47%
  • I used it, it cut me and/or irritated me, but the jury is still out

15 18.07%
Page 14 of 103 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 24 64 ... LastLast

Thread: Muhle R41,The combined thread

This is the handle that is shipping today.

Quote Originally Posted by Jo Hansen View Post
    never heard of this razor

and

I'm a beginner anyway

is this too sharp for a beginner
    It's new, search for Muhle R41 to learn more about it on this forum, and yes, it's too aggressive for a beginner.

Images

[QUOTE=

So even if it tore your face apart , you feel that the good outweighs the bad?

[/QUOTE]

yes, the good outweighs the bad.......... she is cruel, but fair..........

So what is your conclusion, A keeper?
    I noticed that many members have a blade preference, does it matter to you which blades work best or is it the creams that makes or break the shave results?[/QUOTE]

Yes, certainly a keeper but I'm not dismissing that I might ultimately return to the Slant as my #1. I've only just begun to approach the comfort level on the R41 that I had on the Slant. If I go back to the Slant and my now lighter-than-ever touch doesn't work with the Slant, I'll probably quickly return to the R41. If my more advanced technique makes the Slant experience even better than it was, then the Slant could win out.

Had my first shave with my 37c tonight. Did my usual prep, Feather blade, watched some slant videos on proper technique, etc. It took four passes and some touch up where the Muhle usually only takes 2 or so. Lots of irritation (no doubt my fault due to improper angle,etc) and a few weepers. I'm going to leave my R41 on the shelf and shave for a week or so straight with the Slant and then decide which one stays and which one gets BST'ed. The only razor that tops the smoothness of the 37c is the R41.

I have one on order; should be here any day now.

Images

Thanks a lot guys. Just ordered one today. How will I sneak this into the house.
    Jim P. - St. Petersburg, FL

ackvil (at) badgerandblade.com

Any questions? Just ask! Since I may not read all of the posts feel free to PM or Email me.

"Winning is
    like shaving - do it every day or you wind up looking like a bum."
    Jack Kemp

“Be a gentleman at all times. Shine your shoes, shave every day, be considerate of others, and don't chew with your mouth open.” Words of advice from my late mother.

Quote Originally Posted by ackvil View Post
    Thanks a lot guys. Just ordered one today. How will I sneak this into the house.
    Tie it to the collar of a little puppy, and sit it on your doorstep, then tell your lady to answer the door.

Had my third shave with my R41 tonight. This time I used a Perma-Sharp and for the first time, no cuts, nicks, or weepers. Very smooth and close although I don't think it was as close as with the Astra. It was a 1+-pass shave for a BBS on cheeks and a DFS on my neck. This time I payed particular attention to the angle, making it as acute as possible. Stay tuned for more adventures!
    ~Bob - Member: TOFLAC-U, Order of Pinaud, Alliance of Merkur
    "I was born in the back seat of a Yellow Cab in a hospital loading zone and with the meter still running. I emerged needing a shave and shouted 'Time Square, and step on it!'"--Tom Waits

Images

Quote Originally Posted by KM-instructor View Post
    Tie it to the collar of a little puppy, and sit it on your doorstep, then tell your lady to answer the door.
    That won't work. We have a standard poodle that I bought for her two years ago when I bought my two Mergresses!
    Jim P. - St. Petersburg, FL

ackvil (at) badgerandblade.com

Any questions? Just ask! Since I may not read all of the posts feel free to PM or Email me.

"Winning is
    like shaving - do it every day or you wind up looking like a bum."
    Jack Kemp

“Be a gentleman at all times. Shine your shoes, shave every day, be considerate of others, and don't chew with your mouth open.” Words of advice from my late mother.

That won't work. We have a standard poodle that I bought for her two years ago when I bought my two Mergresses!
    LOL, yep I guess that ploi can only work once or twice then it's on to plan B.

After my second shave with the Slant, I feel that it is much more aggressive than the R41. Maybe it's bad technique on my part, but I'm getting far more weepers and nicks with the Slant than I did with the R41. Same blade, same technique as usual, but rougher shaves with the Slant. I do love it as well though.

Default Want to buy an R41

Any pointers on where to get one of these (new) in Canada? Also, are there different versions? thanks
    Shawn

The 2011 R41 is this one, the older type is a full open comb design.

Images

Fendrihan has them.

Quote Originally Posted by shawn_d View Post
    Any pointers on where to get one of these (new) in Canada? Also, are there different versions? thanks
    Jim S.
    "You can always tell who the pioneers are. They're the ones with arrows in their backs." --Silicon Valley saying

Quote Originally Posted by Codfish View Post
    Fendrihan has them.
    That link is to the old style. I assume you want the 2011 R41, Connaught Shaving seems to have the best price. It took a month for me to get mine through customs but most people have received them within a week.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    This is the handle that is shipping today.
    Wow, post pics upon arrival.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    It's new, search for Muhle R41 to learn more about it on this forum, and yes, it's too aggressive for a beginner.
    Quote Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
    yes, the good outweighs the bad.......... she is cruel, but fair..........
    great newz...

Quote Originally Posted by cfender View Post
    So what is your conclusion, A keeper?
    I noticed that many members have a blade preference, does it matter to you which blades work best or is it the creams that makes or break the shave results?

Yes, certainly a keeper but I'm not dismissing that I might ultimately return to the Slant as my #1. I've only just begun to approach the comfort level on the R41 that I had on the Slant. If I go back to the Slant and my now lighter-than-ever touch doesn't work with the Slant, I'll probably quickly return to the R41. If my more advanced technique makes the Slant experience even better than it was, then the Slant could win out.
    So you would keep both as your main arsenal then.

Quote Originally Posted by itsmedave View Post
    Had my first shave with my 37c tonight. Did my usual prep, Feather blade, watched some slant videos on proper technique, etc. It took four passes and some touch up where the Muhle usually only takes 2 or so. Lots of irritation (no doubt my fault due to improper angle,etc) and a few weepers. I'm going to leave my R41 on the shelf and shave for a week or so straight with the Slant and then decide which one stays and which one gets BST'ed. The only razor that tops the smoothness of the 37c is the R41.
    So it's a probable keeper then?

Quote Originally Posted by RfD Dallas View Post
    I have one on order; should be here any day now.
    keep us posted......
    Through the backdoor, just tip toe it to the shave den

Quote Originally Posted by phillylion View Post
    Had my third shave with my R41 tonight. This time I used a Perma-Sharp and for the first time, no cuts, nicks, or weepers. Very smooth and close although I don't think it was as close as with the Astra. It was a 1+-pass shave for a BBS on cheeks and a DFS on my neck. This time I payed particular attention to the angle, making it as acute as possible. Stay tuned for more adventures!
    Same bat time, same bat channel.......

LOL, yep I guess that ploi can only work once or twice then it's on to plan B.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincene mancini View Post
    not me
    Steward in the B&B Shave Clinic & Newbie Check-In forum - Click here for Hall Of Fame

I can't hardly wait for tomorrow to come so I can shave again.

Steward in the B&B Shave Clinic & Newbie Check-In forum - Click here for Hall Of Fame

I can't hardly wait for tomorrow to come so I can shave again.

Images

Last edited by Mike H; 09-30-2011 at 08:21 PM.
    Mike

Don't chase the good at the cost of the best.

Steward in the Shaving Brush Forum
    How to Clean and Care for your shaving brush

Images

Be careful what you wish for.
    Winning is like shaving—you do it every day or you wind up looking like a bum.