What's new

Which type of hair is the best for newb? horse , badger, boar, synthetic?

I have both horse hair vie long brush and a classic synthetic brush. I tried both brushes and already preferring the horse hair vie long brush. my question is does a horse hair brush compares to a badger or boar hair brush?

... my question is does a horse hair brush compares to a badger or boar hair brush?

Yes, it actually exhibits a bit of both, it doesn't absorb water like a Badger but closer to Boar, the diameter of Horse is closer to Badger but seems a bit stiffer compared to Badgers of equal size (Loft & Knot), Dries faster than Boar and produces more lather using equal amounts of product compared to Boar. I own Boars, Badgers; Black, Finest & Silver-Tip, Pure Horse, Horse/Badger Mix & Horse/Boar Mix, each is slightly different IME, each type of Brush should be enjoyed for its own characteristics & I enjoy using them all. I have no set rotation, and sometimes will use only two or three for a week or two before rotating.

I haven't had the pleasure of trying a Synthetic, but from reading many Threads & Reviews, most had some type of shortcoming, such as clumping while lathering, inability to hold heat, or other minor inconveniences, they haven't become as common as other types of Brushes. The Good News, From what I've read, is the new Muhle Silver-Fibre which overcomes the clumping problem and lathers closer to a Badger than its predecessors. Like I stated previously this is from what I've read and I've never experienced one, so I hope anyone who has Synthetic experience, confirm or Fillet my conclusions from what has been posted.

As far as What is Best? ... that can only be answered by your own trials and use of each type of Brush, as we say here YMMV. I'll be the first to welcome you to the wonderful World of SBAD :ohmy: :001_tt1: :w00t:

Great analysis!:thumbup: My only addition (also from reading, not experience) is there seems to be quite a difference between horse hair depending on whether it comes from the mane or the tail with one (can't recall which) being much stiffer than the other.

Ken

id say hold off to your sure your going to stick with wetshaving two months from now you many decide its not for you then youve gotta get rid of evrything not that that a problem but it will save you a headache !
Enjoy Your Shave !

I have an Omega "synthetic badger" that I use for travelling. Other than its very rapid drying, it has no virtues as far as I'm concerned.

proxy.php

Great analysis!:thumbup: My only addition (also from reading, not experience) is there seems to be quite a difference between horse hair depending on whether it comes from the mane or the tail with one (can't recall which) being much stiffer than the other.

Ken

First, Thanks for the compliment,

Mane is for stiffness/Backbone & Tail is for Softness, The Vie-Long Horse offers three combination's of Mane/Tail; 50/50, 65/35 & 35/65. The First combo would most closely feel like a Black Badger, the second ~ like a Pure with the last coming close to a Finest Grade. The Horse Knots are offered in Banded or Natural Brown Hair, I've had both and find the Banded feels Pricklier/scritchier, possibly due to the Banding process, this is purely a guess on my experience.

Keep in mind the comparison to Badger Grades are only to provide a "Ballpark" idea of the backbone and feel of the different Horse Combos, as equal Grades of Badger may feel different from Manufacturer to Manufacturer and is a Subjective Rating used as a guideline. Lastly as with any other animal, the softness and stiffness of the Hairs would change with the Season, Winter or Summer.

Best is always highly subjective no matter what the topic. There's really not any type that's universally best for newbies just as there's no universal best for soaps, creams, etc. They're different and you need to try the options out to see what's best suited for you. If you have no experience to convey what you need/want then it will be very difficult to provide you suggestions relevant to you. Don't be afraid to try out the options!

Best is always highly subjective no matter what the topic. There's really not any type that's universally best for newbies just as there's no universal best for soaps, creams, etc. They're different and you need to try the options out to see what's best suited for you. If you have no experience to convey what you need/want then it will be very difficult to provide you suggestions relevant to you. Don't be afraid to try out the options!

As I posted in another Thread; "I think how you lather, Bowl/Face, and what you lather, Soaps/Creams, depend more on loft, density & knot size than the type of Hair/Bristle of your Brush.

Boars, Badgers or Horse, they all can Load & Lather Soaps... "The point" would be to have your choice of Knot set at a Loft that would optimize its soap lathering capability. I own a Silver-Tip set @46mm & a 21mm knot that's very dense, loads and lathers soaps like a Champ. The same thing with my Horse @45mm & 20mm Knot, very soft tips, stiff backbone & works great with soaps, I wouldn't use it for creams or bowl lather with it (Too Stiff & Short)."

When Lathering Creams or using a Bowl I would go with a loft of 50mm- to 55mm, depending on knot size 20mm-23mm & density, the loft and knot ranges are my personal preferences.

Last edited:
Mane is for stiffness/Backbone & Tail is for Softness, The Vie-Long Horse offers three combination's of Mane/Tail; 50/50, 65/35 & 35/65. The First combo would most closely feel like a Black Badger, the second ~ like a Pure with the last coming close to a Finest Grade. The Horse Knots are offered in Banded or Natural Brown Hair, I've had both and find the Banded feels Pricklier/scritchier, possibly due to the Banding process, this is purely a guess on my experience.

Thanks! Very nice explanation! You're not aware of a 65/35 in a 32mm knot set to 52mm loft are you?:lol:

Ken

Thanks! Very nice explanation! You're not aware of a 65/35 in a 32mm knot set to 52mm loft are you?:lol:

Ken

They only have three sizes at the moment; 19mm, 20mm, 23mm, Juan from Gifts & Care has advised Vie-Long of a growing interest in Larger Knots. Right now nothing bigger has appeared, but it may take time to produce enough to satisfy an initial offering. They might be prodded along if they receive some direct inquiries; http://www.vielong.com/En/Brochas1.html

id say hold off to your sure your going to stick with wetshaving two months from now you many decide its not for you then youve gotta get rid of evrything not that that a problem but it will save you a headache !
Enjoy Your Shave !

I might have to take your advice. when I'm excited about something, I go all out to try every thing and every type but had to pace myself this time. I'm holding off my purchases right now until I have thoroughly used the items I have in possession.

Ken
Juan will custom set your loft. I have a 50/50 extra 32mm set at 53. Only took 8 days from ordering to my doorstep. It's in the break in process right now!

I have this brush as well, and for soaps I agree. It's fairly useless...too floppy for hard soap and the "bristles" poke your face if you try to face lather.

But this thing bowl-lathers creams like nobody's business!

I have an Omega "synthetic badger" that I use for travelling. Other than its very rapid drying, it has no virtues as far as I'm concerned.

proxy.php

Any one of them - it is just a starting point! You have to try at least a couple grades of badger and a couple of boars (as it seems you have already tried horse and synthetic!). So much variety out there in terms of knot quality, loft, diameter, stuffing, and handle shape and size, and water retention, and face feel, that you just start somewhere and begin exploring. Having said that, I would start with a cheaper, well known boar, something from Semogue possibly, and a cheaper badger, possibly in best.

Last edited:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I typically recommend boar or horse for a beginner, but that's mostly due to cost. You can get an excellent brush for under $20, so you can get a wonderful experience without having to lay out a ton of cash.

However, I also recommend it so that someone interested can quickly get past the "if it ain't badger, it's crap" mentality.

As far as synthetics go, when they start holding water, I might start enjoying them.

Top Bottom