What's new

Can a soap or shaving cream live a burn feeling

Dear all,

is there anybody had a feeling of burn when finished to shave?

I usually use Proraso or Weleda or Tabac and never I had this impression. Today I had this impression using for the first time Musco but recently I had again this impression with the Valobra one.

Last edited:
Do you mean a burning feeling when you are rinsing your face with water, or just from the soap being on your skin?

If it is from the soap being on your skin, it is probably a skin reaction or allergy to an ingredient in the soap or cream, but if it's when you're rinsing your face with water, it's probably from your skin being scraped too much by the razor. That is caused by the soap or cream not being as slick or protective as other soaps or creams, and from improper technique (too much pressure or wrong blade angle).

If it's the first one (the soap or cream burning your skin), then you should stop using that soap or cream, but if it's the second one, just work to improve your technique.

If you didn't have the sensation with the first 3 products you used, it may be something in the last two products that gave you the burning sensation. You may want to compae ingredient lists to see if the Musco and the Valbora have an ingredient in common that is not in Proraso, Weleda, and Tabac. But if the sensation was only present after you shaved, rather than after applying the product, it's probably a technique or lather issue more than some type of allergic reaction to an ingredient in the product.

Tomorrow morning I'll try the same razor wth one of my favourite shaving soap/creams to check what happen.

When I finish to shave, I feel I cannot wait too much to rinse with fresh water: As both the "under observation" shaving creams produce more foam would be I scrape my skin with the razor in a different way.

However I'll double checked tomorrow.

It's possible that poor technique could be covered up slightly by the slickness and cushion of your favorite soaps and creams, and that the bad technique just scrapes your skin more with the troublesome soaps/creams. Just because the same technique doesn't bother your skin with your favorite soaps, doesn't mean that your technique is not the problem with other soaps. Does that make sense?

If you get a burning feeling from just having the soap/cream on your face, then it's the soap or cream that's the problem. Try lathering up and letting the lather stay on your face for a few minutes and see if you feel any burning. Another possibility is that you might be scrubbing your skin too hard with your brush, and that's making your skin more irritated with certain soaps and creams.

If you notice that burning start on your face before you start shaving it's an allergic reaction. I've had similar issues with a few items whose lather I loved, but just don't work for me. I figured it out when the lather I applied was making the side of my face I hadn't shaved yet burn like crazy.

I wish you all the best in getting this sorted out.

I get a tingling/mild burning sensation from most creams, but not any soaps. Proraso,Gaia and Arko are about the only creams that are fine, but most others have something in them which must not be in soaps.

I'd suggest lathering and just waiting 5 or 10 minutes withoutr shaving, to see if its the product.

Last edited:
You could be sensitive to one or more ingredients in the cream. There are several shaving creams that I cannot use for this very reason.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Dear all,

is there anybody had a feeling of burn when finished to shave?

I usually use Proraso or Weleda or Tabac and never I had this impression. Today I had this impression using for the first time Musco but recently I had again this impression with the Valobra one.

Do you mean "Musgo Real"? If so, I had the same experience, I got a burning feeling after I used it. Looks like some of us are a bit allergic to Lanolin, however, I do not have any problems with MWF.

Do you mean "Musgo Real"? If so, I had the same experience, I got a burning feeling after I used it. Looks like some of us are a bit allergic to Lanolin, however, I do not have any problems with MWF.

This mirrors my experience exactly. I cannot use Musgo Real but have never had an issue with MWF. I am not sure it is the lanolin in the Musgo that causes me problems.

Have experienced a lingering redness and irritation for an hour or more after shaving with VDH DeLuxe and Fitness soap. Don't use them anymore, and have avoided soaps/creams with anything more than a mild fragrance or coloring.

Apply it to your wrist and let it sit for a few hours - if it's an allergy you'll get red and irritated there.
Otherwise, it's probably your technique.

remember all soap has lye in it and if the mixture it high that maybe the problem, you ask how does he know this ? My wife has a soap company ! We have found sometimes this to be the case other times its just a fragrance that will cause the irritation ! Either way if it presist heave it ! Good Luck !
Enjoy Your Shave !

Top Bottom