What's new

Pelikan 215

Hello Folks

just like many others here, this bug bit me :) it is a nice addiction lol

Got myself a medium m215, but the line is still thin as if it is a Fine nib, what to do? Can I change the nib? Or send it to one of the masters to grind it and maybe make it Italic?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Usually the complaints about Pelikan nibs are that they are too wide!

Try another ink, use it a little more with other paper, write a page or two. I have yet to have problems with Pelikans as they come out of the box but of course YMMV.

Let me know if you are stuck, I can help you, Maher.

I recently got one of these as well, which design did you get?
I find the line varies with the paper, and probably with the ink as well. On highly textured thick stationary I get a thin line but a nice medium line on standard computer paper. On the Field Notes notebook paper I get a line that is way too thick and feathery.
Maybe send to nibmaster such as Richard Binder if the line is not to your satisfaction? Although I've read that wait times for nib tweaking are up to 4 months.

I got the ring pattern, it is a nice pen, maybe I am just picky, but when I compare the line width with my medium Twsbi it is thinner or maybe just the different nibs? I might send it in for a tuneup ...

I have a M215 blue silver striped model with a fine nib and love it. I got it from Richard Binder and the flow was a little wetter than my normal preference so I use a drier ink with it.

I agree with Nemo above that your ink may be a factor in the nib being a dry writer. Did you flush the pen with water before you inked it for the first time? You might also want to try flossing the nib with a very thin brass sheet that you can buy from various online vendors. I've even used a piece of overhead transparency to floss it but who has an overhead transparancy these days with Powerpoint?

I have a M215 blue silver striped model with a fine nib and love it. I got it from Richard Binder and the flow was a little wetter than my normal preference so I use a drier ink with it.

I agree with Nemo above that your ink may be a factor in the nib being a dry writer. Did you flush the pen with water before you inked it for the first time? You might also want to try flossing the nib with a very thin brass sheet that you can buy from various online vendors. I've even used a piece of overhead transparency to floss it but who has an overhead transparancy these days with Powerpoint?

No I didn't flush the pen, just did that and waiting on it to dry a bit. Will fill it with a different ink type. How to floss the nib? is by running the brass sheet between the feed line in the nib?

thank you for your reply

Yes, flossing is running the brass sheet from the little hole in the nib down through the slot. You don't want to dig into the plastic feed under the nib, just to clear out anything that might have gotten stuck in there.

I don't know if they are still in business but I bought mine from Tryphon.it but you can also get it from other places like Richard Binder.

I would suggest inking your pen again once its dry and see if flushing it helped. If not try to get a hold of the brass sheet/shim since they are really thin and won't widen the slit on the nib. I've seen too many pictures of people using knives and what-not to floss their nibs only to ruin them.

Good luck

Yes, flossing is running the brass sheet from the little hole in the nib down through the slot. You don't want to dig into the plastic feed under the nib, just to clear out anything that might have gotten stuck in there.

I don't know if they are still in business but I bought mine from Tryphon.it but you can also get it from other places like Richard Binder.

I would suggest inking your pen again once its dry and see if flushing it helped. If not try to get a hold of the brass sheet/shim since they are really thin and won't widen the slit on the nib. I've seen too many pictures of people using knives and what-not to floss their nibs only to ruin them.

Good luck

Would a DE blade work?

Top Bottom