What's new

Range Trip

I finally made a trip to the range today. I have been working part time, and got off at noon over near where the range is located, about 50 miles from home, so the employer is footing the bill for the trip over.

Late last year family commitments and a trip home to Ga for the wife precluded any shooting, then the heat wave hit and I just refused to go in all the 100 degree plus heat we had all summer.

I wanted to play around with adjusting the express sights on a CZ Safari rifle in 375 H&H as well as fine tuning the scope, so burned through 50 rounds off a bench. It sounds rough but the rifle is large enough and just heavy enough so the recoil is actually much less than a couple of my 30-06's, a lot less. Add to that 20 rounds through my old 9.3x57 Husqvarna sporter, and 40-50 through my M-1 Garand. By the time I shot it I was getting tired and only managed about a 3 1/2" group at 100 yards, not a little 3 shot group but 24 rounds or 3 clips.

Now have got to clean them and get ready for another trip.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Wow, .375 H&H is way beyond the level I'd run that many rounds - did you need that many to find the zero or just having fun?

All my guns are just for fun anymore. I like to shoot the big bores. This was the first time I had shot that many rounds through it, and probably doubled the round count for the rifle, so it's fairly new. The way it fits it's just comfortable to shoot.

I was shooting reloads, mild loads, 270 gr bullets over 62 gr of Varget. As I have gotten older, I tend to load more toward the lower end of the tables and go toward lighter bullets, if I can maintain accuracy. On a 100-300 yard range you just do not need maximum velocity and power to have a good time.

I will have to admit that I like showing up and pulling out those small cigar sized cartridges shoot a while and then offer to let another shooter try it and they decline because they think it wil kick too hard.

I've got one of those CZ Safari's in .375H&H as well. It's a really fun rifle to shoot. I load my own to save cost - my preferred load is 300gr round nose @ 2550fps, which was the original H&H load but nowadays is considered a "light" load. The original load was designed to not get you killed in 110+ degree heat when using temperature-sensitive cordite. Still, that "light" load killed a lot of cape buffalo and elephant, so I can't see the point of loading higher.

The recoil from that rifle always reminds me of a 12ga, big hard shove instead of a sharp smack like you get from a 300 Win Mag or other modern magnum.

Last edited:
I've got one of those CZ Safari's in .375H&H as well. It's a really fun rifle to shoot. I load my own to save cost - my preferred load is 300gr round nose @ 2550fps, which was the original H&H load but nowadays is considered a "light" load. The original load was designed to not get you killed in 110+ degree heat when using temperature-sensitive cordite. Still, that "light" load killed a lot of cape buffalo and elephant, so I can't see the point of loading higher.

The recoil from that rifle always reminds me of a 12ga, big hard shove instead of a sharp smack like you get from a 300 Win Mag or other modern magnum.

I don't shoot a shotgun that much, but yes that's a good way to describe it.

When I exhaust the supply of bullets I have, I think I shall go back to the heavier more traditional type load. I also have a bunch of cast bullets for my 38-55 that should be perfect.

Top Bottom