What's new

No Coffee Brewers Allowed

Just found out my division is moving to a different office at the end of the month. Turns out they do not allow coffee pots or electric tea kettles. I've grown very fond of my afternoon coffee so this is a problem. Obviously auto-drip is not an option. They have hot water available in the cafe but I have no idea what temp. it is though. This gives me doubt about how FP would work and I have no experience w/ pour over. Any ideas?

How serious are they about the electric kettles? A company I worked for had that same rule, but a lot of people had kettles and four-cup coffee makers. One guy even had a bread machine that was on a timer to make bread that was ready when he got to work...a bit extreme.

Aeropress?

+1

The Aeropress was actually designed for lower temperature brewing boasting reduced acidity. I usually use it at normal brew temperatures (and have a small electric kettle in the kitchen to boost the hot water to boiling for my coffee or espresso) but you should be fine with the hot water tap, and it's ideal for easy clean-up in an office environment.

Sounds like they are concerned with keeping the power bill down, and/or there might be circuits that are already loaded near capacity. I agree that the Aeropress is a good option. You might want to keep a thermal carafe for transporting hot water.

How serious are they about the electric kettles? A company I worked for had that same rule, but a lot of people had kettles and four-cup coffee makers.

At the risk of thread-jacking, is this normal in the US? Here it's considered normal to have a kettle or urn (depending on required capacity) somewhere on site for the use of all employees. People don't bring their own, it's part of the fixtures and fittings. I can understand why management would be worried about electricity usage if everyone was running their own!

Last edited:
It has more to do with insurance - because of the fire hazard the std coffee makers pose when left on and run dry. Burnt coffee + bursting glass urns are as common as the person who burns popcorn in the microwave. The electric kettles are very rare, most offices have a filtered water dispenser that can put out semi-hot water for tea or instant beverages / soup.

A solution that seems to be acceptable in our office were the Keurig coffee makers, because there was no hotplate and it only heats water on a per use basis. They still need to be in the break-room on a GFI circuit, but they are permitted. You get a bunch of folks together for the initial $140 buy in and they supply their own k-cups. Stops the moochers as well

Bodum bistro mug press? It's like a French press that fits into a mug. No idea how the coffee quality is, but I ran into them at TJ Maxx today (while looking for my beloved Dallmayr Prodomo - they, of all places, sometimes have it) and they were selling for something like 8 bucks.

proxy.php

In my office we have a bunch of machines that fire out a decent coffee, a machine that brews proper coffee and a Starbucks ... I guess you wish you worked there right.

New Job. - I mean really - how absurd is that? Clearly they aren't concerned about productivity! I work in a lab and as long as I don't drink/make coffee while handling biohazardous materials it is all good, indeed my coffee consumption is encouraged.

Just found out my division is moving to a different office at the end of the month. Turns out they do not allow coffee pots or electric tea kettles. I've grown very fond of my afternoon coffee so this is a problem. Obviously auto-drip is not an option. They have hot water available in the cafe but I have no idea what temp. it is though. This gives me doubt about how FP would work and I have no experience w/ pour over. Any ideas?

Companies will never learn. The less employee friendly they are, the more productivity goes down.

Get a french press, http://www.bodum.com/us/en-us/shop/detail/1923-16/ and take extra extra long taking your break.

Top Bottom