What's new

Little white bumps

I have these little white bumps on my face. I'm assuming they're some form of acne, but I don't know what. They're deep in the skin. They're not terribly noticable unless the skin is stretched. Still, they often can be seen and give my face a sort of uneven appearance.

They vary in size. Some are really really small. Others are about the size of the head of a pin.

When I squeeze them, they eject what looks like a thin white string. It's not like the liquid pus of a whitehead, it's more of a clay like substance.

Does anyone have any idea what these are, why I'm getting them and how they can be dealt with?

I don't get a lot of big pustules anymore, but I get these things and I don't like them.

I get these too occasionally, I think they're non-inflamed white-heads although I can't say for sure. The reason I say this is because if I notice one of the small white bumps and don't touch it, a couple days later a white-head will have formed in it's place.

I think it is safe to say it's some form of blocked pore(s) though at least. When do you get yours?

Washing the face with oil instead of soap is a good way to get rid of whiteheads (and blackheads too). Best - MM

Washing the face with oil instead of soap is a good way to get rid of whiteheads (and blackheads too). Best - MM

Out of curiosity what oil(s) do you wash with mozart? What exactly do you do when you wash with oil? Steam with a face cloth then wipe?

Out of curiosity what oil(s) do you wash with mozart? What exactly do you do when you wash with oil? Steam with a face cloth then wipe?

Yes, that's pretty much it. Most often, I use a mixture of castor oil and EEVO (50/50) and add a few drops of some essential oil to it. I apply a liberal amount, massage it into my skin, put a hot, damp towel on top for a couple of minutes, then I rub it all off and splash cold water on my face, aaaaaah, feels good. Best - MM

Although I get them occasionally in other areas, I mainly get them on my cheeks and the areas in which I shave.

I looked up keratosis pilaris and that sounds a lot like what I have. Unfortunately I'm not sure what to do about it...

Although I get them occasionally in other areas, I mainly get them on my cheeks and the areas in which I shave.

I looked up keratosis pilaris and that sounds a lot like what I have. Unfortunately I'm not sure what to do about it...

Hello Salvador,
First SDF! Self diagnosis is foolish. You may wish to read this article, but if you are really concerned by what may or may not be KP, I would suggest visiting a dermatologist.

Yes, that's pretty much it. Most often, I use a mixture of castor oil and EEVO (50/50) and add a few drops of some essential oil to it. I apply a liberal amount, massage it into my skin, put a hot, damp towel on top for a couple of minutes, then I rub it all off and splash cold water on my face, aaaaaah, feels good. Best - MM

EVOO:biggrin:

I get these as well and they've always been a mystery to me. No matter what I do, these things do not budge. Like Salvador, they don't really show themselves much unless the skin is stretched or in certain lighting. If these are not truly "whiteheads" will the oil wash still work? And I'd never thought (or heard) about washing my face with oils before, I love this board :001_wub:

-Allen

I may try the oil cleansing method, too, though I'm a little skeptical. Perhaps because of the traditional idea that oil is bad for your skin...

I've found that these things go away when I don't wash my face. That's why I'm so convinced that it's keratosis pilaris. They show up when I wash my face and shave. They show themselves most prominently in the areas that I've shaved, which are also the parts of my skin that are most dry.

I plan to see a dermatologist soon and will consult him about the problem, but I've never really trusted dermatologists. Most of them make it seem like it's a race to get you out of the office as soon as possible. A typical encounter involves him or her saying "hello" followed by him or her prescribing me an overnight topical, a morning topical and a tetracycline antibiotic. They never ask me any questions about my skin or lifestyle.

I may try the oil cleansing method, too, though I'm a little skeptical. Perhaps because of the traditional idea that oil is bad for your skin...

Uh, what tradition would that be? As far as I know, oil has always been good for skin. There is a whole moisturizing industry built around oil-containing lotions to battle the harsh and detrimental effects of soap. Perhaps you are talking about too much oil, as in abnormally oily skin? In any case, I found that oil is vastly better for my skin than soap. That does not mean I don't use soap; I just make sure it's superfatted. Best - MM

I've found that these things go away when I don't wash my face. That's why I'm so convinced that it's keratosis pilaris. They show up when I wash my face and shave. They show themselves most prominently in the areas that I've shaved, which are also the parts of my skin that are most dry.

I plan to see a dermatologist soon and will consult him about the problem, but I've never really trusted dermatologists. Most of them make it seem like it's a race to get you out of the office as soon as possible. A typical encounter involves him or her saying "hello" followed by him or her prescribing me an overnight topical, a morning topical and a tetracycline antibiotic. They never ask me any questions about my skin or lifestyle.

Same around here. Any bump on your face, "Alright, I'm gonna prescribe Accutane. NEXT!". Or as John McGinley would say, "Dermatologist, is Latin for "fake doctor"." :biggrin1: Unfortunately seems to ring true for many of them :(

-Allen

Uh, what tradition would that be? As far as I know, oil has always been good for skin. There is a whole moisturizing industry built around oil-containing lotions to battle the harsh and detrimental effects of soap. Perhaps you are talking about too much oil, as in abnormally oily skin? In any case, I found that oil is vastly better for my skin than soap. That does not mean I don't use soap; I just make sure it's superfatted. Best - MM

I wanted to thank you for your introducing me to oil-cleansing. In the short time that I've been using it, I have seen a marked improvement in my skin's health. I like it so much, I haven't seen a thread about it so I'm going to make one.

Thanks again,
Allen

Top Bottom