What's new

Thrift Store / Consignment Store Finds?

I love poking around thrift stores when I have some time. There are two that aren't very far from where I work, so I sometimes stop in over a lunch hour to explore. I'm pretty strict with what I buy, only excellent condition and better grade stuff, but I've found some real great deals. Today I bought a pair of Timberland Earthkeeper Chelsea boots for the princely sum of $15. They are still pratically new. Picture below.

A while back I found a pair of Johnston & Murphy Artistocrafts, also practically new, also for $15. Evidently good shoes in this store are $15.

I've also found several very nice shirts in the $5 - $8 range, Tommy Bahama, Bugatchi Uomo, Hilfiger, Brooks Brothers, etc.

Does anyone else here enjoy this type of shopping? What sort of deals have you found?

Attachments

• $boots.jpg
    $boots.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 660
I went to an estate sale recently an cleaned up. The guy happened to wear my exact dress shirt size. I got 12 shirts and they were all Jos A Banks or nicer brands. It was AMAZING! Wish I had some pictures but I dont.

I found a pair of allen edmonds wingtips that fit perfectly for $12 at goodwill and I just recently found a vintage eddie Bauer goose down vest for $8

Glad to know others on B&B enjoy Goodwill as much as I do. I've picked up some pretty nice stuff over the past few years. I found a like new Marmot windbreaker/rainjacket yesterday for $4.99. I actually got my Wii from Goodwill a few years ago, as well. Clothes wise, I've found that the area of town you shop in has a LOT to do with what you find. The high-rent areas of the suburbs typically yield nicer stuff than other areas.

I've picked up a few nice Brooks Brothers shirts, and have seen a few pairs of Allen Edmonds. Sadly, they're never in my size, or they're extremely beat up. On the clothing side of things, my best find is probably a long-sleeve button up Burberry shirt in the classic brown plaid pattern. I was skeptical of it's authenticity due to finding it at Goodwill and it appearing brand new. After comparing it side by side with an identical shirt at Saks, I couldn't find a bit of difference, and my extemely fashion savvy girlfriend says it's real.

I found a pair of docs in the box with tags for $10. I was suprised they were my size.

Other than that just a bunch of junk.

I frequent the thrift store by my house a lot, as well as Goodwill and don't find much. I'll come across the occasional nice tie or whatever but I mainly go thrifting for books. I'd say the only purchase I ever made worth anything was a Burberry London tie NWT for $15

Gaseousclay, I don't know what part of the Twin Cities you live in, but I've done well for shoes at the Ark in Richfield on Penn Ave., and for shirts at the Goodwill in Hopkins. I've also gotten some very nice items at the Turnstyle (consignment store) in Edina. I got two Hilfiger shirts there recently for $7.50 each.

Gaseousclay, I don't know what part of the Twin Cities you live in, but I've done well for shoes at the Ark in Richfield on Penn Ave., and for shirts at the Goodwill in Hopkins. I've also gotten some very nice items at the Turnstyle (consignment store) in Edina. I got two Hilfiger shirts there recently for $7.50 each.

I live in SW Minneapolis. Arc in Richfield is where I usually go, followed by Goodwill and Savers in Richfield.

My favorite find is a vintage Izod/Lacoste dark blue jacket with plaid liner. Paid all of $2 for it.

I've found quite a few Brooks Brothers repp ties, all under $4. I don't wear them often as I only have one suit, but it's nice to have some options and for the price I sure wasn't going to leave them!

When I lived in MN I found four suits that were just dropped off the day before from the same guy (that had supposedly just passed away) that all fit perfectly. $15/each! One of the Goodwills in St Paul. I make a weekly sweep through all the shops in Fort Collins. Latest find was a 5 gallon glass carboy for $10 and a Prairie style stained glass lamp for $14.

I have a few Goodwill stores that always seem to have Banana Republic and L.L. Bean items in my size. I've also found two first edition John Updike books and a pair of Frye boots (not my size). If your town has a St. Vincent DePaul and you like fedoras stop by sometime. It is common for Catholic families to donate the deceased's household items and clothing and it is also common for older men to wear a hat to church.

I have made a few nice scores lately in thrift stores. The other day I got a Tommy Bahama long sleeve silk shirt and a Patagonia fishing shirt for $8 and $4 respectively. Today I found a Bugatchi Uomo and an Indigo Palms shirt for $5 each. And a clay stein from the Hofbrau Haus in Germany for $2. I really enjoy poking around thrift stores.

Goodwill, Salvation Army, Hope Chest and Hospice thrift stores are just a few of my almost daily stops. My best find clothing wise, was probably a brown blazer I wore in high school for awhile. I remember the kids at school who sported AE,Ambercrombie etc. all would asked where I bought my jacket. They never believed me.

I have been thrift store shopping for years in Dayton, Ohio. I have purchased two awesome leather coats for great prices. Pepsi used to give away a bunch of stuff and I got a black leather Pepsi coat. I have been wearing it daily (winters) for about 5 years. It still looks and fits great. Must have been 20 years old when I got it and it looked brand new. I got Leather Limited Black pea coat looking coat last month. Brand new condition. $30. New shoes at least 3 times a year. Rocksports with no signs of wear....

I find the best merchandise at the Village and the Valley Thrift stores. Goodwill not as good but still decent. St Francis Thrift store is pricey but has decent vintage furniture.

Today I saw a huge cigarette lighter. Picture a zippo style that is 6 inches tall. Didn't buy it... but it was pretty cool.

I have found that non goodwill thrift store prices have gone up a bit for quality name brand clothing. There seems to be more people thrifting and maybe people holding onto thier clothes a little longer. January seems to be a good time to thrift though.

We live in a predominately LDS community, which isn't too weird since I am LDS (Mormon), but their thrift stores are called Deseret Industries (DI). Anyway, I picked up two almost brand new penny loafers there. Good brands, but I can't remember the name right now of one, the other was Sebago. Went to a place called Savers down in Utah, and got my best find, a beautiful wool black gray pinstripe suit, that was perfectly my size. For a 48 long like me, that was a surprise. I have picked up some cool watches and cuff links at DI as well. The windup Timex I sold on here was from there. I look for pants, because to get good pants in my size can get expensive. I don't find things too often because of my size, but when I do they are usually pretty good, because there aren't a lot of other people my height.

Marty

I usually find one or two things of interest. My past two trips have rewarded me with a Brooks Brothers shirt for around $9 and a Jos. A. Bank shirt for around $7. Both look like they had very rarely been worn, if at all. The shop that I usually stop at is in a pretty nice part of town & they usually have some pretty nice men's shirts. I usually see at least 3-4 BB shirts on the rack, but they are rarely in my size.

I live and breath thrifting, as a past time thats what me and the family do. There is a very high end thrift store here called B Thrifty that I have bought a lot of stuff from. my two best purchases so far are: aset of coke dishes, and a 100% leather jacket for 12 dollars that only needs a new sipper I will pay anywear from 15-28 to get it fixed what a deal. Anywho, I love thrifting.

I've been lucky enough to get 2 genuine alligator belts for $1.00 each AND a pair of gen alligator Polo loafers for $3.00 from my local GW stores! Deals like that make it hard to stay away!

Top Bottom